FFL Signature Question

Discussion in 'NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion' started by ayastigi, May 8, 2010.

1. ayastigi

ayastigi New Member

I've very recently received my FFL - the first thing I did was sign and date it. After doing a little online research, and reading up on the whole 'FFL' subject - I read that I am NOT to sign the original, but instead - make copies and sign those as needed. Does anyone know if this is correct, and if so - any suggestions?

Thanks,

Dennis

2. ayastigi

ayastigi New Member

I've contacted the ATF, and ask about having a replacement sent... that should take care of the situation.

3. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Most FFL licenses are emailed/faxed nowadays.

I email mine all the time.

Who'd know?

4. docpadds

docpadds New Member

Not going to hurt you. Our displayed copy in the store is a signed color copy of ours, the original is in the bank box.

The copy i send everywhere is a scan of the one from shop.

5. ayastigi

ayastigi New Member

I'm kinda like you - I don't see why it shouldn't be signed.....

While searchig for online info on this subject I found this forum.... I read a post from the past where someone mentioned not signing the original, and that's what got me wondering about this... I checked some of the copies I have from the FFL I used to use, and noticed he sends out a signed copy of his original. What I'm doing now is waiting on a reply from the ATF.... come Monday I think I'll call the ATF Agent who's been working with me, and ask her.

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

The copy you provide with a transfer was to be signed. Not a copy of a signature, but an "in ink" signature. Now that electronic transmission is permiitted (fax, email) it is not as important as it once was. Some folks insisted on BLUE ink to show it was not a Xeroxed signature. As far as I am concerned, so long as I can verify that it is a valid license, and I am shipping to a valid address ON that license, I would not care if he signed using his big toe print.

7. ayastigi

ayastigi New Member

Makes sense to me C3...I'll sure share whatever I'm told by the ATF Agent when I find out.

I've only had the FFL for a couple of weeks, so needless to say my head is swimming with all the information I've been reading. Any tips or tricks or suggestions you guys might have would sure be appreciated. How would I go about locating info pertaining to FFL wholesalers, auctions, or other sources that cater to FFL's? I'm reasonably sure that info is included in the mountain of papers and books I've received - I've just not come across it yet.

NOTE: I've had one transaction so far, and it involved a high capacity weapon, California, and a military base...........lesson learned: UPS will not deliver to a military base.

Last edited: May 9, 2010
  8. Troy Michalik

Troy Michalik Is it Friday yet? Supporter

I did the same thing when I got my first one. I couldn't understand not signing it either. But the not displaying it thing is simply a theft issue. From what I understand, stolen / forged FFLs were not extremely uncommon in the past. Of course that also might have been an inspector blowing smoke. But just the same, my original is securely tucked away.

I used to sign all of my copies in blue before sending them out. I would also write "file copy only" on it in red sharpie (yes I was one of those:D). May seem kind of silly now, but I didn't want to take any chances. I have also received a few that were copied on to colored or paper with a pattern on it.

9. Dcomf

Dcomf New Member

On the 03 I believe it explicitly says to not sign the original, only the copies.

10. ayastigi

ayastigi New Member

I went ahead and requested a couple of copies of the original, so now I have three total copies... one signed copy, one on the wall that I used to make copies of, and one in a safe....thanks for the replies - I appreciate everyone's willingness to help.

11. sigp250

sigp250 New Member

Was this a C&R?

ATF met with me for 3-3 hours going over various regulations, reviewing manuals they brought with them. I signed my FFL in their presence.

12. ayastigi

ayastigi New Member

01-Dealer License
    No Curios & Relics

I met with the ATF agent - an extremely good-lookin' woman - for 3 hours two weeks before receiving my FFL in the mail... we discussed a LOT, but then again - like I said - she was extremely good-lookin' - and while I did very good staying focused - I'll admit that there were a few times I found myself concentrating on her, and not on what she was saying.... hey - I tried.... she kinda looked like the girl who played Jeannie on I Dream of Jeannie.

13. sigp250

sigp250 New Member

Ha Ha, My field Agent was good looking too and drove a new Lexis SUV. I think she went over every page of the Fed. Firearms Regulations Ref. Guide, NICS, the State law manual (most is out of date). We had to visit two places, My business and an off site warehouse. Someone mentioned safes. They don't care about safes or alarms. The only thing she said was to make sure I kept a supply of cable locks on hand. My agent had my FFL with her. It felt kind of like a signing ceremony with a nice handshake after that. She gave me several business cards and said to call her any time with questions.
    As I think of it, it took most of the morning to got to both places, over 3 hours.