FFl question

Discussion in 'NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion' started by ryangil, May 14, 2013.

1. ryangil

ryangil New Member

ok i wanted to get my ffl for awhile now and i just need to know a few things before i send in my application i live with my parents they own a commercial property and my dad has his business built onto the house hes a auto mechanic now can i get my ffl if this is all in effect if i locked the guns in my room i wanted to do a online business and if so what would my hours be can i do by appointment only and would th 01 ffl be the right one my parents know about this btw

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I would suggest that your first check on zoning, business license, insurance.
    After you do that, then check the ATF website:
    http://www.atf.gov/content/Firearms/firearms-industry

There is a lot information on what is required to get a license, hours of business, inspections (has to be available for no-notice inspections), etc...

3. Olympus

Olympus New Member

My first question would be are you even old enough? In some states you have to be 21 to even purchase a handgun. Only asking because the live with your parents thing.

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

You must be 21 for a FFL.

5. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

It takes a large amount of capital to create a viable firearms business. Being able to buy firearms in a volume that stays competitive with Walmart, Cabelas , Bass Pro. etc. is very difficult. :)

6. AR10

AR10 New Member

As a retired FFL holder, I can advise against getting one on several levels. Anything you own, can at anytime, be searched, records taken, personal items seized, computers. Ever mention anything about work, while at the in-laws house, everything in that house is subject to the same wide brush.

When I was doing guns, it was possible to work with law enforcement to achieve simular goals. In this day and age, they will not work with you, they will aggressively investigate your every move, and should some t not be crossed, or I dotted, they will confiscate everything associated with you, and keep your stuff, and you go to jail till they want you back out again.

My opinion, dripping a bowling ball on your foot would be more pleasant than the three times a year, week long audit, you are opening yourself up to.

The only thing the feds hate more than a public armed with guns, are the firearms dealers selling them guns.

Last edited: May 15, 2013
  7. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Not sure I agree with that.

8. jniedbalski

jniedbalski New Member

First off you can not opperate your FFl business in your home. Years ago you could I did . Now you have to have a actual store to sellout of. You also have to have a gun vault or safe to store all your guns you sell at night when your away with alarms for your store. Not worth the hassle if your only selling only a few guns .

9. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

REALLY do not mean to bash you on your first post, but that is not correct.

You MAY operate a FFL business from your home IF you meet local and state laws- such as zoning. You must have a secure area to store firearms, but the standards do not require a safe or vault-or an alarm- it can be a room with a lock on it.

We have several home based FFLs that are members here, and I do business with 3 that are local.

10. Olympus

Olympus New Member

That's just not true in any way, shape, or form. I am a home-based FFL and just got my license in November of last year.

11. AR10

AR10 New Member

BATF went through a period where, the poster was correct, no home FFLs issued. I remember that. It was around the Brady Bill flap as I recall.

12. jniedbalski

jniedbalski New Member

It was in the early 2000 when my FFl expired.i was wanting to reapply for it and the ATF told me no more home ffls . They told me I had to have an actual store front. And a safe to store my guns in at night. A local gun shop bought a pre built shed and put it along side his drive way . He quit selling out of his house and is still selling out of his pre built shed.. I guess the rules have changed

13. Cattledog

Cattledog New Member

A strong second on that one. Be prepared for a complicated hobby (which is allowed so long as you do business) if you don't have the capital to back up the inventory it takes to compete.

I've had my home based since 2007. No issues with the BATFE. They care more about compliance with local state and city ordinance than pretty much anything else besides record keeping.