FFL needs my Drivers License

Discussion in 'NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion' started by lennydude, Mar 31, 2017.

1. lennydude

lennydude New Member

Hi there. Newbie here so go easy...............lol

I sold a shotgun on Gun Broker. I was paid and shipped the shotgun to a FFL as per the rules.
    The guy who bought the shotgun says the FFL will not give him the shotgun until "I" send a copy of "MY" drivers License to the FFL.

Question is, Is this practice on the up and up?:confused::confused:

2. steelfingers

steelfingers New Member Supporter

I've never sold anything online, just bought. OK GUYS' LETS GIVE THIS GUY SOME FEEDBACK.
    Welcome from the Great State of Oklahoma.
    Lot of experience here you should get an answer quickly.

3. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

The FFL wants to know who he is buying the gun from. (and it is the FFL buying your gun) I don't blame him a damn bit. Your buyer should have filled you in with the details, that is who your beef is with. If you don't send your license he is probably going to send you back your gun on your dime.

4. steelfingers

I did some research and I think it has to be from FFL to FFL. You should have shipped it through an FFL
    From FFL to FFL, every time, no exceptions.”

Remember that phrase. It tells you what you need to do to stay out of trouble with the gun transfer laws when buying firearms across state lines. Federal firearms license (FFL) holders are the only persons who can legally handle gun sales across state lines. This means that the merchant you’re buying from must have an FFL, and that seller must, we repeat, must, ship the weapon directly to an FFL holder in your state. It’s then up to you to go to the FFL holder in your state and take possession of the weapon. Usually, the dealer will charge a small handling fee for his or her part in the transaction. Be sure to contact the FFL holder in your state to advise them you’d like to have the firearm shipped to their location. By handling interstate transactions in this manner, you’ll be in full compliance with federal laws.

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

You may ship a firearm TO a FFL in any state- does not need to come FROM a FFL- however, the FFL that RECIEVES the gun must log it in to his "bound book" of "acquired and disposed" firearms. In order for him to log it in, he needs ordinary ID from the person that sent it to him.

Just send the receiving FFL a copy or a scan of your driver's license. ATF refers to this as an "ordinary business record". Normal practice.

SGWGunsmith, Fred_G and Sniper03 like this.
  6. c3shooter

And where ARE my manners- that was your first post here! Welcome! When you get a minute, stop by the introductions thread and say howdy. And stick around- the folks here sort of grow on you.

So does athlete's foot, but we won't go there yet........:D

7. steelfingers

I knew someone here would have the answer. Nice 3c

8. lennydude

lennydude New Member

You guys are the best! Thank You VERY much! I am in very much appreciation to your quick responses!!!

Lenny

9. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

The FFL isn't buying the firearm in any way,shape,or form. You are required by Federal law to ship an out of state firearm sell to a licensed FFL dealer for the transfer.

I have bought and sold many firearms from online auctions over the years,I have only been asked to include a copy of my drivers license twice from the receiving FFL dealer. Some FFL's just want it,but not all of them require it.
    The only time I ship from an FFL is if it is a handgun,for rifles and shotguns I just ship it through the post office.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
  10. CaptMidnight

CaptMidnight New Member Supporter

I don't sell on line. I would be concerned about mailing my drivers license to an unknown source? You are surrendering everything needed for Identify theft. Some licenses even include you SS number.:confused:

11. steelfingers

I can see why an FFL wanted to know if the person selling the gun is legal to sell it. Ultimately, the FFL receiving the property, is putting his license at risk by being party to an illegal activity.
    I get it.

12. c3shooter

It is a violation of Federal law since 12/ 2005 to put a social security number on a driver's license. At one time a common practice, but not for the past 11 years.

13. CaptMidnight

CaptMidnight New Member Supporter

Humm! Good news. Just don't use a very old driver's license. :D But you are providing a "Profile" for identity theft. Stolen drivers license show up often during raids on these scam operations.

14. JonM

JonM Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

If a recieving ffl is not asking for the shippers info they are making it up or getting it off the shipping label. Both of which are violations. Acceptable is state or federal issued id or ffl info.

15. 70cuda383

70cuda383 Member

You're willing to ship a firearm to an unknown FFL, but don't trust him with a copy of your drivers license? Try calling the FFL, and giving him your drivers license number and home address over the phone if you're that worried about it.

16. Good002

Good002 New Member

Seen you are not shipping thorough your FLL deler, you will have to provide him with your Drivers License

17. Reforger83

Reforger83 New Member

I had to have two documents with my full name on them... govt. documents. The guy at the shop told me if I only had one I should go to the sporting goods shop and buy a one day fishing license and make sure my full name is on it.

I know it's a little off topic, but it just shows how wacky states can get, and the Feds, when it comes to what legal documentation is needed to purchase a firearm.

18. LikeABoss

LikeABoss Member Lifetime Supporter

How is it that you know everything about everything....you should write up a bio on yourself, am sure a lot of people here would be interested in your experience and where it all came from!

19. c3shooter

I would do that, but it violates my agreement with the Witness Protection Program.

:p

SGWGunsmith likes this.
  20. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

I would not be too concerned with a FFL business having a copy of my driver's license. Then again, I don't worry about zombies, the SHFT, Martians or shopping in convenience stores either. There are too many important things for me to fret over.