FFL liscence

Discussion in 'NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion' started by LadyHussein007, Jun 17, 2012.

1. LadyHussein007

LadyHussein007 New Member

How do you get an FFL and what are the requirements?

2. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Depends on the license class. General instructions and forms are on the BATFE website. Generally you must submit the application, fingerprints, photos and fees. BATFE will follow up with an in-person interview. You will also need to apply to and comply with all local zoning and legal requirements (security systems, insurance, etc). Your local law enforcement may also require certain submissions and business purpose justifications.

3. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

A pre requisite is the proper spelling of LICENSE

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

FFL is a Federal Firearms License. It is issued by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATFE or BATF or ATF). There are numerous DIFFERENT licenses. Most are an 01 Dealer's license (to be engaged in the business of buying and selling guns) and for individuals- the 03 FFL- (Collector's license)- allows you to purchase certain firearms -usually 50 yr old guns and have them shipped directly to you.

You must be 21, intend to engage in the activity covered by the license, able to pass a background check, able to pay the license fee, and activity must comply with State and local law and regulations.

Other licenses are to pawn guns, make guns, make machine guns, import guns, make ammunition, etc etc. License fee varies with type of license. Least expensive is 03 Collector- $30/ 3 yrs.

5. kalk

kalk New Member

I have a quick one here...For an FFL also the dealer's license , what procedure do I have to follow if I'm in the united states on a student visa? Here's hoping for a response and the solution to my query... Cheers.

6. okdonk

okdonk New Member

If you are a student here which means you aren't an US permanent resident. By which means you aren't even allowed to own a firearm yet. Sorry if i'm wrong.
    I'm not an US citizen yet but i'm a permanent resident (Green Card holder). And i'm allowed as the citizens do in regards of firearms.

7. bwilliamson

bwilliamson New Member

I really wish that someone who has actually completed the FFL process would post in a little more detail on this.

8. c3shooter

The process will depend on WHICH FFL you are applying for. Which one do you have in mind? I have held an 03 FFL since 1976, and we have several folks here with Dealer and Manufacturer licenses.

9. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

After going through the hoops of
    Business License
    Zoning
    LLC process
    Tax ID number
    FFL interview
    Security
    Advertisement
    Accounting
    Purchasing
    Setup
    Assistant interviews (you can't run it by yourself at times)
    Consulting with the spouse (What do you mean that my new assistant is too cute?)
    Rent
    Insurance
    Utilities

Maybe you end up with a profit of $.51.
    (But hey, it's profit so the IRS cannot call it a hobby)

10. c3shooter

And while it is an older post- Kalk- as a non-resident alien, you are limited in purchasing firearms (it CAN be done, with limitations) HOWEVER- you cannot get a FFL. You must be a Permanent Resident (emigrant w/ green card) or a US citizen.

11. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

Alright I'm ahead at $.52 projected this CY :D

12. c3shooter

Silverado- you forgot to include the cost of the 2 postage stamps on the letter to ATF and cc to the Chief LEO. Subtract $.90 for postage- and you are in the hole.

My bill for accounting will be in the mail.

13. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

Thanks for bringing me back down to reality c3. :D