FFL license kits?? For quicker processing??

Discussion in 'NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion' started by meangene1975, Oct 16, 2010.

1. meangene1975

meangene1975 New Member

I have googled and searched and have saw a few ffl kits. Can anyone reccomend a good kit to get this process going the fastest way possible. I know its a slow process , but I want it smooth and as quick is possible. Cost is not a problem I just want smooth and quick. I own an archery shop and want to move it to firearms

2. Highpower

Highpower New Member

Don't waste your money. Just call the BATFE and order the forms - fill them out and send 'em in with your check. You'll get the same paperwork from them as the kit contains, but it's free.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2010

3. MrM4

MrM4 New Member

+1

I am a 07/02 and I didnt see a need for a kit. Make sure you use the interveiw to ask questions , keep good log books.

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

What they said. The real issue will be that the BATFE requires you be in compliance with STATE and LOCAL laws before they will issue a license. If you already have a storefront business, you probably already meet those requirements- like zoning, having a business license, sales tax number, yadyada etc. Without those, or documentation that you do NOT need them, no tickee.

DO learn the regulations. DO keep good books. Both Auction Arms and Gun Broker have a "find a FFL" feature that you can register for- folks that are looking for a dealer to recieve and do transfers for firearms they bought from elsewhere. Possible source of income for you.

The Golden Rule for a FFL- if a transaction does not feel right- don't. There is nothing that requires you to sell a gun or ammo to ANYONE you do not want to.

5. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Quoted for the truth.

The kits give you the forms and nothing more.

6. beckstactical

beckstactical New Member

The kit I bought came with some software and instructions. However if you just follow the instructions for the application from the BAFTE you'll be fine. Also remember that you can call the inspectors and the licensing center for questions. It took me from 8-7-2010 through 10-6-10. Thats from mailing it to the ATF and them mailing my license. So thats about as quick as it gets I reckon.

7. ZombieDefense

ZombieDefense New Member

The normal return time is 8 weeks. so you were right on schedule, congrats. Zoning, EPA, locality all play a roll depending on license type. NIMBY juristrictions, relationship to a school, etc....and back to OP, the kits are crap. Everything you need to know is on the ATF site.

8. Stokes

Stokes New Member

I did not get the kit and had no problems. Everything you need is sent by the BATFE, and the forms arent any more problematic than DMV registration forms.

Like was said before me, get your zoning figured out. I had to pay the town to 'assess' and approve my 'plans', which changed nothing, but they still needed to do an environmental assessment clearing my plans. Cost like $80, but that's just my town. I used Legalzoom to get my DBA set up, and my Federal Employer ID number and all that. It was simple, and I couldnt find anyplace that could tell me the process myself, so having them do it was worth the money.

Just make sure all the fingerprint cards are completely filled out, and triple check your application to make sure nothing is missing.

9. rfdallas

rfdallas New Member

Why dont you start with an C&R FFL Distribution Center Order Form here is the ATF link for the forms. I have my C&R FFL and its not hard to get. Its a good place to start. any questions about how to get it let me know if i can help.

10. Highpower

Highpower New Member

An (03)FFL does not authorize "dealing" in firearms.

11. fixxer

fixxer New Member

Thanks for the info, I'm finding it really interesting. I read up on the C&R at the link provided and could not make out all the legalese (as usual). It looks like it is written up as only curios and relics but then it states something about items of interest as well. Does that mean that technically, any non-classIII can legally be transferred to you as long as it's not inteded for resale? Anymore info will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

12. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Curio & Relic firearm defined:
    1. A firearm in its original configuration that is 50 yrs old or older
    2. A firearm from the list published by the BATFE (all Winchester 88s, ALL Colt Woodman, etc)
    3. A firearm that the BATFE has ruled derives it's value from it's collectable nature. The revolver carried by Lindberg on his flight. Gen Patton's ivory handled revolver. You apply to the BATFE on THAT particular gun.

A C&R is NOT a license to engage in the business (that is a legal term) of buying and selling ANY guns- but to aid in collecting. Translation- I find an M1 carbine, dealer is in Wyoming, I am in VA. I send him payment, and a signed copy of my 03 C&R FFL. He puts rifle in mail to me. Mailman delivers to my door. Log the carbine into my bound book, make happy happy joy joy sounds. I no longer want the OTHER M1 Carbine I have, so I sell it. Log it OUT of my bound book.

50 years old does NOT mean the model, it means THAT gun. A Marlin 336 that is 50 yrs old- C&R. 49 years old- NOT C&R. Can't tell age (Mossberg 183 shotgun, no serial numbers until 1968) NOT a C&R unless I can prove THAT gun is 50 yrs old (original store receipt)

13. fixxer

fixxer New Member

Hmm. Well, that kinda kills my motivation. I was hoping for a loophole on the "items of interest" definition. All the firearms I have except for my old Browning gallery rifle are within 50 years. Most everything that I would like to get my hands on is earlier as well. Of course I would never turn down a good peice of history either. I will get my hands on a Rock-ola Garand eventually but that is not really worth having the dedicated FFL. Thanks for the info. It cleared up some things. The info on the document I read was a little obscure.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
  14. FFL

FFL New Member

The kits are good if you have no idea what you're doing or if you're planning o doing it form home.. FFLRights.com

15. tcustoms

tcustoms New Member

The kits are a joke.
    Its just like the real estate guys on TV telling you if you buy their kit they will tell you how to get rich.
    The forms are free and not too hard to figure out