FFL dealers

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by sbitter, Jun 10, 2012.

1. sbitter

sbitter New Member

I have been curious about this for years. How much cheaper do FFL dealers get guns for. Im just curious.what it costs them to get a pistol. Like if it cost me 800 how much does it probably cost them?

2. jordan89

jordan89 New Member

My LGS has told me that they make between 50-100 off of each new gun.

3. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

They make very little on new guns. Most of them mark up 10 to 15%. The Big stores go for volume. They do well on ammo and shooting items. The used gun market is very profitable for many outlets.:)

4. sbitter

sbitter New Member

That's really interesting so it really isn't each sell but the volume they sell. Hmmm very interesting that's good to know, thanks for the responses

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Depends on the dealer- and the volume THEY have with THEIR distributors. And to some extent, WHICH gun. Used or new? Cheap gun, pricy gun. Gun-of-the-week, or a slow moving classic that may sit in the rack for 9 months?

6. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

In most cases if it is a gun at a mass merchant then you can buy it for the same or lower price as the FFL dealer.

7. taosgunguy

taosgunguy New Member

I'm a small FFL with six distributor accounts, make between $40 and $90 per gun depending on selling price. I do the transfer as a part of that, so this ain't no big profit business for the little guy. I also have ordered guns from Buds for customers when I couldn't find them anywhere else and just took a $30 transfer fee.

8. gollygee

gollygee New Member

My LGS, when I order through Davidson's makes about 15% + freight. He makes more than that on guns he has in inventory.

Some manufacturers and/or distributors may give discounts based on order size or maybe on annual $$$ volume. I know that Kimber & STI have a minimum first order amount in order to become a "dealer". I would assume other manufactures do the same. So, a small FFL is at a real disadvantage since he's probably buying through a distributor or a dealer.

9. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

A few manufacturers allow us small guys to buy direct but it isn't that much of a discount either.

10. regload

regload Member

I guess none of the FFL's are willing to come clean.
    My late father had a FFL, and the price to him was 60% of list. That was the max he had to pay. Sometimes he got 50% off list.

11. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

"I guess none of the FFL's are willing to come clean.
    My late father had a FFL, and the price to him was 60% of list. That was the max he had to pay. Sometimes he got 50% off list. "
    I was manager of a store that did about a million gross a year and I wish I would have knew your father. I don't think we made 50% on any sporting goods.

12. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

I make 10% over Cost! WalMart doesn't get 50% off, nice try!

13. sbitter

sbitter New Member

Very interesting thanks for all the feed back :)