FFL CLass 3

Discussion in 'NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion' started by k_dogg, Feb 26, 2008.

1. k_dogg

k_dogg New Member

Yes i was hoping someone could help me out with what i got to do to get my class 3 ffl lisence. i was hoping somsone could send me a webpage or e-mail or tell me who i got o talk to to get this lisence. well i hope someone can help me out and thanks. l8ter

2. Dgunsmith

Dgunsmith New Member

Do you want to own NFA Class 3 firearms or become a FFL Dealer with a class 3 license to sell ?

To become a class 3 dealer, first apply for and be granted an FFL .
    Then you pay $ 500 a year , every July 1st., for the class 3 SOT license.
    NOT worth doing in most cases. Transferrable machineguns must have been registered prior to May 19, 1986. New MG's are restricted to sale to law enforcement, military or export only. Dealer sales samples of these require a LE letter requesting a demo to get one. You cannot keep POST-86 samples after you go out of business.

As an Individual wanting to own Class 3 toys : Find a class 3 dealer in your state, purchase the item you want, submit the NFA transfer paperwork, fingerprints, photos and the one time $ 200 transfer tax...and wait up to 3 months for approval. If you have a corporation or LLC to register the firearms to, no LE signature is required and the transfer time drops to 4 to 6 weeks. You become a SOT : special occupational tax payer, it is NOT a class 3 license.

Hope that helps ! :D

3. AkMuscle49

AkMuscle49 New Member

So to own a pre 86 full auto you only need to pay 200$ tax and do the paperwork?

4. KingTiger

KingTiger Member

That is correct.

5. AkMuscle49

AkMuscle49 New Member

Well that makes my wanting to find a Tommy that much easier

6. KingTiger

KingTiger Member

7. AkMuscle49

AkMuscle49 New Member

I knew 10K was about where id start. hrmmm....

It cant be that hard to conv.... nevermind

8. lilguy

lilguy New Member

Also be sure your state and local laws allow it. Illinois does not.

9. gnoll

gnoll New Member

Dont you already have a fully AK????

10. ak47master

ak47master New Member

not a week ago i got my gun and i posted that be4 i even had a licence

11. gnoll

gnoll New Member

lol OK well got the gun still need bullets

12. sigp250

sigp250 New Member

DELETED POST REMOVED BY MOD

I hope you did not waste your money to buy this information. Everything you need to know about becoming an FFL or obtaining a class 3 tax stamp is Free by visiting ATF.Gov and downloading the info from their site.

Contrary to what you may think, you can also call ATF Industry operations for your city or region. They are usually very helpful. If you happen to get a grouch, call a different region.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2011
  13. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

That was that person's only post. Funny feeling it's a troll that is spamming the gun boards trying to dupe someone into ordering that stuff.

14. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Gents- I concur, which is why I removed it. Please don't copy spam into your reply, or I have to edit the reply.

PS- I did look through the website. He fails to mention that you CANNOT get an 01 FFL for purely personal use.

Old thread- please let it die in peace. Pax vobiscum.

15. PowerViolence

PowerViolence New Member

Question about this. One time as in the first time you want to purchase a class3 weapon? or every time you buy a class3 weapon you have to pay the $200?

16. Alpha1Victor

Alpha1Victor New Member

You have to pay the $200 each time you buy any class 3 item.

17. PowerViolence

PowerViolence New Member

what about the paper work and picture id + prints. do you have to do it all over everytime?

18. ttolhurst

ttolhurst New Member

You betcha.

19. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

It is a transfer tax. Essentially you are paying for the privilege to transfer ownership of the firearm to you from someone else. Yes the tax is paid each time an NFA weapon is transferred. If you sell it, the purchaser pays a new transfer tax. Yes new pics/prints for each purchase.

20. PowerViolence

PowerViolence New Member

thanks for the info guys!