Firearms Talk banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It seems that some high-school year book authors found masculine terms to be "toxic".

I've read the high school year books for the years 1975 through 1979 at one particular high school in Woodside, California and the 1978 high school year book for one small town in Idaho. I've also seen the high school year book for 1969 for one particular San Francisco high school.

The 1975, 1976 and 1977 year books for the high school at Woodside had a section for Boys Sports and another for Girls Sports. The 1978 and 1979 year books for the same school had a section for Girls Sports and another for Sports. What is so special about the year 1978 that the word BOYS should be dropped from the Sports sections? The 1978 yearbook for the small Idaho town likewise had a Girls Sports and a Sports section. Again, there is a sign of emasculation of the American language. The 1969 yearbook for Lincoln High School in San Fransisco also had a Girls Sports and another Sports section. The word GIRL was used in that book several times but the word BOY had not appeared in that particular book just once. Emasculation of language in public schools had occurred as early as the late 1960's.

That BOYS was eliminated from the sports sections of 1978 high school yearbooks in two separate states indicates that these books mighty be printed by the same national company, perhaps.

What is this aversion toward using male-gender terms all about?

The 1979 yearbook for Woodside also had sections in the book about special on-campus organizations for girls and special singing groups for girls. Nothing as such was noted in that book for boys.

Since when have male words become cuss words?

To make matters worse, there is no longer a Boy Scouts of America exclusively for male members. Is being born with a penis a capital crime in itself? What's the deal!

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Is it crazy, asinine or stupid?

Another thing, attending public northern California high school (1977-1981) I had noticed a lot of anti-male attitudes in the classroom then. Teachers would teach (preach?) that "the female sex was naturally (biologically) superior over the male sex". There was the attitude that men "weren't worth a damn because they didn't have babies". Supposedly, "girls matured quicker than boys" in spite of the deeper voices of the boys. According to one teacher, girls were supposedly better at sports because they could supposedly reach down and touch their toes easier than boys can. I don't know if schools in conservative states were like this. Coastal California has always been more toward the liberal end. Women were GOD and men were the DEVIL in their eyes.

I'm frankly surprised these liberal schools even had a lavatory and a locker room labeled as BOYS.

Reactions: OLD Ron

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Those things you mention was way after my school time . We didn't see any of that .
Problem is people can't be happy with equal ....... soon as they have that they think they are better . In the old days a smack in the eye usually got there mind right .

·
Administrator
34,289 Posts
I’ve never been taught in schools that males were bad and useless. Without that sperm, us females couldn’t have babies.
and in what class would that topic even come up? Math? history?

Reactions: kfox75

·
Premium Member
12,117 Posts
I would suggest that the OP is living in the deep past, a day when knuckle draggers ruled the world. The world of white, male, Christian dominance is over, and it is just too hard for some people to bear.

·
Premium Member
5,288 Posts
I would suggest that the OP is living in the deep past, a day when knuckle draggers ruled the world. The world of white, male, Christian dominance is over, and it is just too hard for some people to bear.
Christians are knuckle draggers Chain?

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
I dont know about "Coastal Women".. But here in the Midwest we still want our Men to be Men... I will take a Christian knuckle dragger any day over a helpless liberal sissy boy.... And a little "Male dominance" is kinda nice sometimes...;).. Lol.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Knuckle draggers? Back in the day munitions folks (bomb loaders) were referred to as knuckle draggers or bb stackers....:cool:

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I’ve never been taught in schools that makes were bad and useless. Without that sperm, us females couldn’t have babies.
and in what class would that topic even come up? Math? history?
biology and "advanced" general science... a history teacher claimed that baby boys were more prone to serious illness as hemophilia because baby girls were "tougher"... the hemophilia issue came up in history because it was common in royal families due to inbreeding ... this illness was inherited from mother to male infant ... it was mostly boys who got this disease due to supposed "biological weakness" ... one textbook in high school philosophy class claimed the male sex was a mistake of nature

it should be noted that the male (sperm-producing) seahorse carries and births the young

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
So feminine terms are good to print in school year books and masculine terms are evil cuss words? I thought the modern world was supposed to be about gender equality. Why is having a boys-only scouting organization somehow "poisonous"? The late 1970's is not that deep in the past. Please consult your public high school year book and see how the sections on sports are labeled with respect to gender and please report back to me with the city, state, school and year of the book. Thank you.

I don't think there were any boys-only sports in 1978. This could be why there was no masculine term applied to the 1978 sections on school sports. The football team in 1978 may even have allowed girls by then, who knows. Apparently gender is a good thing if it's female-only.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Wouldnt bet the farm on that just yet.
Americans are a patient lot , tolerating all sorts of lunacy , for a while. The current crop of loonies in office have even very lefty folks scratchng their heads at the silliness.

Doubt this level of insanity will be tolerated very much longer .

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
Coltfellow I don’t know what your yearbooks say but back when I graduated guys were still guys and girls were girls. Now I don’t know about Kalifornea but it’s still the same here. And yes Wolfspirit nobody wants to hand the ball off to wackos.

·
Premium Member
11,040 Posts
Coltfellow I don’t know what your yearbooks say but back when I graduated guys were still guys and girls were girls. Now I don’t know about Kalifornea but it’s still the same here. And yes Wolfspirit nobody wants to hand the ball off to wackos.
Yep. Was still that way in Silver Creek NY, when I graduated in 1993. Fredonia NY a year earlier, i my wife's case.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Guys were guys and gals were gals in your high school, maybe. In my book, underage males were most often called BOYS by me while GIRLS was most common for the underage females as used by everybody. Yes, in my high school BOY was replaced by GUY a lot but if you watch the 1961 film West Side Story (set in 1957 New York City) and listen to the dialogue, BOY was still common then for young male. GUY is never a proper term for formal speech and writing. The only time in high school I would use GUY for MALE is for somebody I didn't like. That GUY is a total JERK! In my 1970's/1980's high school, it was chiefly the women teachers and more conservatively-dressed students (boys with short hair and nice clothing, girls in dresses appearing not faddish or punk rockish but rather feminine) that used the term BOY. Male teachers (less refined than females in diction) and the new-wave faddish-looking rock-n-roll types of students did not seem to use the word BOY much. Things got really trashy in California by the year 1999. I went to a public park in coastal northern California to play ball with my dogs. There was a mid-30's male teacher with children on a field trip there playing a game on the lawn with his students. The children seemed to be of a pre-high-school age. He kept calling the female students GIRLS and the male students GUYS about 20 times each. He used the term BOYS only once. While I was in the pre-high-school grades, late 1960's/late mid-1970's, male students never ever were addressed as GUYS, only BOYS or YOUNG MEN even then in coastal northern California. Females students were addressed GIRLS or YOUNG LADIES. As a male, I have always found the term GUY and DUDE rather trashy and it only should be used if GAL or CHICK is used for female and only when appropriate. By the time I got to high school, gender-related diction had gotten sloppy at least in regards to the male sex. I was one of the more conservative and few students (dressed like 1950's/1960's school boys with short hair and nice clothing) who insisted that BOY, not GUY or DUDE, should be the regular term for underage male. YOUNG MAN was also acceptable but often used as a scolding term by teachers.

Anyway, I digress.

When I was in coastal nor Cal high school, late 1970's/early 1980's, there were some people with pants, shirts, sometimes shorts, boobs, hourglass figures and high voices, occasionally some of these had rather short hair, dresses and/or skirts too. There were also some people without boobs, no hourglass figures, deep voices, occasional facial hair (mustaches somewhat common but beards extremely rare), pants, shirts (sometimes shorts), mainly longer hair and deep voices. The distinction between underage males and females in the 1970's/1980's wasn't as clear as it was in the 1950's and 1960's.

I started to shave at age 15. New Remington electric for my 15th birthday. It was a sign that a boy was something of a man when he had to shave. I was clean-shaven all through high school. No 'staches even. I tried a mustache a couple of times in my adult life in my starting with my late 20's but never liked them. I've been clean-shaven almost 100% of my adult life and never a beard ever. I've been chewed out a couple of times by the management of the restaurant I worked for and by sergeants in the army for even showing up with a 5 o'clock shadow or otherwise missing shaving on an occasional morning. I would have to shave everyday to look presentable. My mother would sometimes get after me to shave too.

·
Premium Member
11,040 Posts
Your still a pup .HaHa. I’m always glad I did not have the pleasure of growing up in a place like Kalifornea.
Try having been born there. Still feel a twinge of shame, every time I fill out a 4473, and get to place of birth.

Pretty much Los Angeles\USMCRC Nicknamed "Hollywood."

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
There are some who would like to see the male sex become extinct.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts