Female firearms officers win £70,000 payout for sex discrimination...

Discussion in 'Training & Safety' started by Overkill0084, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...gainst-police-chiefs-gun-big-small-hands.html

I'm not entirely sure how to feel about this.
    Is the training staff just a bunch of meanies by setting them up for failure?
    Are these girls in over their head? Granted Glocks are kind of a love it or leave it thing, but dang.

If one is so small that none of the gear works for you, perhaps "police officer" isn't a realistic career option.

Seems like there might need to be some something like size limitations as part of the hiring process. It's been done in the past. I suspect that in the name of equality such rules were likely deemed discriminatory and thus illegal.

2. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I think ANY officer who is qualified enough to be hired for the job, as these women apparently were, should be fitted with equipment in size that works for them. Is there any problem with allowing them to carry smaller service firearms? That being said, I agree with Overkill. If it is not possible to equipment different sized officers with proper equipment, then there should be a height/weight limitation. If it's stated up front on the application, I don't feel it's discriminatory.

3. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

I agree with both of the above. It's not discriminatory, it's simply the requirements. Man or woman, if they don't meet it, they don't get hired.

Although, what's the problem? I thought England didn't like guns anyway. If no one is allowed to have guns, the cops don't need them, either, right?

4. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

Becoming a "Firearms Officer" in England is a step above regular police
    officers--who are not armed. Think of it as becoming a SWAT team member
    or an Army Ranger.

If they wash out because they can't handle the equipment--so be it.

My wife has the smallest hands I've ever seen on an adult human. Shops
    for gloves in the kid's section. Until she got her M&P Pro 9L, she shot a
    Glock 17 quite well in USPSA competition.

5. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

After 9-11 "Firearms officers" became much more common. Prior to that, they were somewhat rare. A couple months after 9-11, I was astounded to see constables at Heathrow carrying MP5s. I'd never actually seen an armed British policeman at all prior to that. (FWIW, I was stationed in the UK from 98 to 03)

While not having the experience, I suspected that someone with small hands could manage a Glock 17, if not exactly love it. It's nice to see it confirmed.

6. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

LOL. SWAT? How do they do it in England? Throw tea cups? Well, if the "Petite" ladies wash out, maybe they can go to Japan and try to become Sumo Wrestlers…..:D

7. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

Ok, these ladies find themselves in a fire fight. The only weapons left with ammo are the ones they pick up from dead bad guys. There are still bad guys shooting at them. But now they can't fight back because the guns they picked up are to big for them. If you are to small to use the equipment, then you can't do the job. It's the reason there aren't any midgets in pro basket ball. The courts aren't doing these women any favors by putting them into a situation they can't handle.

8. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

They are obviously unqualified but UK laws forced their hiring anyway.
    We see some of this over here as well, though, and this may be hard to believe for some, the PC crowd holds even bigger sway over there and the most unbelievable absurdities are gospel in the UK, even more than here.

9. manta

manta Well-Known Member Supporter

I am not sure what to think, if they are qualified to do the job could a handgun with a smaller grip be issued. Or if they can't use the equipment issued to other officers should they not be employed. All police are armed in this part of the UK men and women, and they carry Glocks. I haven't heard it being an issue.

No they use these. :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  10. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

The state is armed to the teeth while the citizens are helpless during the riots.
    And there will be more riots forthcoming and even mo vicious ones:

Here is some of that b;leeding heart nonsense of what "caused" the riots. "Too many social services cutbacks"
    http://metro.co.uk/2013/08/05/new-riots-only-a-matter-of-time-author-warns-3912005/

Here is a better evaluation:
    http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/k...se-riots-were-about-race-why-ignore-the-fact/

And here is what awaits the UK and us in the none-too-distant future:
    http://westernrifleshooters.wordpre...-how-americas-cities-may-explode-in-violence/

11. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

The state is armed to the teeth while the citizens are helpless during the riots.
    And there will be more riots forthcoming and even mo vicious ones:

Here is some of that b;leeding heart nonsense of what "caused" the riots. "Too many social services cutbacks"
    http://metro.co.uk/2013/08/05/new-riots-only-a-matter-of-time-author-warns-3912005/

And here is what awaits the UK and us in the none-too-distant future:
    http://westernrifleshooters.wordpre...-how-americas-cities-may-explode-in-violence/

12. manta

The police have being dealing with violent disorder and well armed terrorist groups in parts of the UK for over 30 years or more, so it wouldn't be anything new. There will possibly be riots at some time the UK, but they tend to be in a small area, and are usually easily contained. Its not something I will be losing any sleep over. :)

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  13. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

Lol!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

14. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I don't know if this still holds true, but at one point you had to be a certain size to be a state trooper. Size and strength requirements are part of the job. If someone is to small to handle a common firearm and we need to reinvent bulletproof vests to fit a person they not fit for the job. I could see it now, a officer down in the middle of the street, his "partner" can't drag him to safety. The two women are not physically able to do the job. Whoever hired them should be fired.

15. manta

It would be funny if it was true. But the police in this part of the UK have more experience dealing with armed terrorist groups than any SWAT team in America.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  16. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

Here in the USA we were FORCED by the courts to lower our standards in ALL categories of qualification.:(
    1. Height and weight to accommodate the Hispanics and women.
    2. Physical agility, to accommodate women.
    3. Mental, to accommodate minorities.
    4. Integrity, to meet court ordered standard to hire minorities.
    THEN, the courts ruled all this had to apply to ALL applicants so we got less qualified people of all races, colors, genders, and creeds.
    Add to this the requirement of the psych test and it is no surprise we have A LOT of under/un qualified people going into LE!