Firearms Talk banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She gets shot pretty good in left hand and it also hit the tip of one of her right hand fingers. Lots of blood. Then she tries to pull out the Ar15 with mixed success.

How did the mag pop out at 5:44?? I dont see an ambi release so how did it pop out when she hit the left side of the gun on the steering wheel? Im sure she didnt realize she only had 1 round lol

any thoughts??

for me the sling wasnt helping her much and in general the gun just looked kind of "clunky" with the sling hanging off, confusing looking optics with all the covers flipped open etc.

Im wondering if more of an SBR would be that much easier to handle from inside a patrol car

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Video no worke

·
Registered
638 Posts
I had to wonder how much the blood and discomfort along with Adrenalin caused her handling challenges in the cramped spaces in the vehicle. I wonder if the mag was never properly installed. Limited camera view does not help with assessment either. I bet the after action report and analysis might be interesting...

·
Banned
5,559 Posts
It looks like she tried to pin the rifle between her right hand and steering wheel inadvertently dropping the mag with her right hand and too panic stricken to notice .

Hope she has no permanent damage to her hands . Frankly shes lucky her shooter didnt press to kill her any further or she would not have survived.

·
Supporting Member
11,804 Posts
Yes! From what I saw the Magazine Release was push by the Steering Wheel.
She was shot and obviously she had never been in a serious confrontation before.
And any time that kind of situation occurs your Adrenalin is way up. And also fine motor skills go to S**t.
She despite the fact she saw the threat she reacted in time to save her life by moving the gun up in her hands and moving her head to the side when she was shot. And overall she did an excellent job and stayed in the fight!
The only thing that for an experienced officer. Was when the trucks Back Up Lights coming on when she was walking up! To me, was a clue that probably something was going South.
One tough little gal!;) She did exceptionally well!:)
I remember my first high speed pursuit of a motorcycle at 115-120 miles per hour for miles that had been stolen by a guy that later we found had previously served time for robbery. As I recall the Adrenalin was flowing and my voice, listening to the tape afterwards. Was a few octaves higher when I got on the Mic during the pursuit to talk! Finally ran him off in a ditch on a State Highway and arrested him with the aid of a back up officer . My Chevy Caprice had an LT-1 Engine in it and it would easily do 140+
But later in my carrier also being on SWAT 16+ I learned how to control things and adrenalin much better during critical situations and get control of fine motor skills. But that takes time for officers and situations also very.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Starts quick, most action is done in the first ten minutes.
I watched it at work last night. The only thing that I would dare to comment on she was so dialed-in on trying to get that rifle into the fight, and really she never did, at some point you have to drop the rifle and go back to your pistol especially if you've only got one hand.

·
Banned
5,559 Posts
I watched it at work last night. The only thing that I would dare to comment on she was so dialed-in on trying to get that rifle into the fight, and really she never did, at some point you have to drop the rifle and go back to your pistol especially if you've only got one hand.
I believe she was shot in both hands.
She was obviously scared to death and probably instinctively went for the weapon she could keep her distance and still use. She plainly wasnt going to close with the shooter if she had any choice in the matter.
Not a criticism , just why I think she was intent on using a rifle.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I believe she was shot in both hands.
She was hit in her left hand and chest. The second round was turned by her vest.

She was obviously scared to death.
Ya think?

and probably instinctively went for the weapon she could keep her distance and still use.
None of which changes the fact that the rifle was inoperative. I'm pretty sure she didn't even have a round in the chamber. Even if she did have a round chambered that was the only one she had.

She plainly wasnt going to close with the shooter if she had any choice in the matter.
That would have been a tactical decision but either way she didn't have an effective weapon.

·
Banned
5,559 Posts
She was hit in her left hand and chest. The second round was turned by her vest.

Ya think?

None of which changes the fact that the rifle was inoperative. I'm pretty sure she didn't even have a round in the chamber. Even if she did have a round chambered that was the only one she had.

That would have been a tactical decision but either way she didn't have an effective weapon.
Agree she didnt in fact have an effective weapon.
But if you go back and look she was shot in both hands not in her vest.

·
Premium Member
7,257 Posts
She did a great job, even when injured she went after the shooter. A lot would have hid behind their car and not moved until back up arrived. As for being scared to death, i am sure she was but that didn't stop her doing here job. But i am sure there are a lot of keyboard hero's that would have done better.

·
Premium Member
11,844 Posts
You reckon the shooter was ANTIFA?

·
Banned
5,559 Posts
The news report explicitly states that
She was shot in her left hand and in the chest but the vest turned it.
Sigh please watch the video at the statrt of the thread.
She was hit in both hands. Tells other officers she was hit in both hands. Unless they just bandaged both for fun, cause both were bleeding and BOTH ARE BANDAGED.

She wasnt hit in the vest at all. You need a different news source apparantly.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Sigh please watch the video at the statrt of the thread.
She was hit in both hands. Tells other officers she was hit in both hands. Unless they just bandaged both for fun, cause both were bleeding and BOTH ARE BANDAGED.

She wasnt hit in the vest at all. You need a different news source apparantly.
The moment that Officer Duran got to the passenger side window of the truck, a series of three gunshots came bursting through the window, striking Officer Duran in the hand and the chest.

Luckily, Officer Duran’s vest stopped the bullet that hit her in the chest.
https://www.lawenforcementtoday.com...provoked-shooting-of-nm-state-police-officer/

If you have no clue what you're talking about, perhaps you shouldn't.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts