Felony expungement

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Joshua Tucci, Apr 2, 2020.

1. Joshua Tucci

Joshua Tucci New Member

I had 2 felonies 1 identity theft and 1 forgery. I had them expunged in 2009. Can I purchase a firearm in California?

2. Nmwabbit

Nmwabbit Well-Known Member

joshua, posting your request in four different forum sections could/will lead to a massive confusion factor...

when you state a "firearm"...pistol? rifle? shotgun?

one presumes you are over 21 yo?

but might i suggest you consult with an local attorney regarding your ability to purchase a firearm in the state...

that stated, here is the ATF's individual state law reference and you can see specially what the state level laws are...
    https://www.atf.gov/firearms/state-laws-and-published-ordinances-firearms-33rd-edition

remember local cities/counties might have restrictions also...

oh remember, purchasing has fed/state level restrictions while concealed is strictly state/community level mandates...

winds-of-change likes this.

3. Joshua Tucci

Joshua Tucci New Member

I'm new to this whole forum thing. Thanks for the info

bluez likes this.
  4. Nmwabbit

In the state of California, expungement essentially reopens your criminal conviction and changes its status to a dismissal. As a result, you can truthfully state to employers, landlords, and other authorities that you have not received a criminal conviction. California expungement does not destroy your criminal record. Instead, it simply hides your record from the public and from certain background checks.

The term expungement in California law is a bit of a misnomer. In other states, expungement means that the state destroys the criminal record. However, California does not destroy your conviction from the state record – the state simply seals the record so that the public cannot see it. You can state truthfully that you have not received a criminal conviction, but your conviction will remain on record in some databases.
    https://www.gddlaw.com/2019/03/27/california-expungement-laws/

looks like an attorney's services are my top recommendation joshua...

bluez likes this.
  5. Joshua Tucci

Joshua Tucci New Member

Also... I sent my eligibility form in approximately three months ago and still no reply?

winds-of-change likes this.
  6. Ghost1958

Ghost1958 Well-Known Member

Constitutionally you should not be barred from the RTKABA by an act of congress if had no authority to pass.

bluez likes this.
  7. Nmwabbit

well, joshua, the State of California site states could take 120 days...but with the minimal manning due to the pandemic it might just take a bit longer...

bluez likes this.
  8. Joshua Tucci

Joshua Tucci New Member

Thank you for the help

bluez likes this.
  9. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

Good Luck Sir!

Joshua Tucci likes this.
  10. schnuffleupagus

schnuffleupagus Well-Known Member

SOMEBODY DIAL IX I I!