Feeling Humble Today

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by sheriffjohn, Apr 6, 2018.

1. RJF22553

RJF22553 Well-Known Member

Written lists!!!! Gotta have written lists!!!

And remember where you put them.:)

Dallas53 likes this.
  2. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member

exactly! i have lists for lists now! i just wander around long enough to find them finally, and then refer to the lists to get back on track again!

now, some of what i have been posting so far has been in humor, but over the last couple of years, seriously, my short term memory has begun to fade. i can remember many details about things that happened years ago, but ask me what i had for breakfast, or what i have done this morning, and seriously, i'm at a loss for knowing the answers. so it's real issue for me. and i really do make many lists or i would probably not able to get anything accomplished at all.

RJF22553 likes this.

3. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

Then there's people's names. People you know. People who borrowed something but you can't remember what they borrowed.

Dallas53 likes this.
  4. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

I have that problem as well. That one and I can't spell my way out of a second grade spelling bee.

5. Ross82

Ross82 Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't remember

Dallas53 likes this.
  6. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

Simple, get a GoPro with a head strap (don't take it off or you'll lose it )!

7. RJF22553

Dallas, I have always had a problem with recalling names. The one thing I did conclude is that if introduced to a new person, repeat their name during the "nice to meet you", I do a little better.

My wife has gotten (justifiably) frustrated when I have no recollection of a conversation we had the day before. It is usually something innocuous that my mind somehow set aside as not important. But for her it was.

To make things even better, I sometimes forget things I said to her over the past few days: Geese seen, Toads in the barn area, etc. Nothing consequential, and some things are an automatic action (horse chores and latching gates/stall doors) that I don't recall doing (but I did). I have sometimes woken in the middle of the night wondering if I did those things. Always did, but it is disturbing sometimes.

I believe it isn't so much a memory thing as much as a sifting of important things in our lives; filtering out the automatic stuff.

To be sure, I have been known to (rarely) go down to the barn in the middle of the night to make sure I turned off the water, blanketed the horses, and made sure their stalls were latched. Always turned out all was good, but concerning nonetheless. There are some automatic things one does that don't register because they are automatic.

Tough to get used to, though...

boatme98 and Dallas53 like this.
  8. Dallas53

well RJF, it may be small comfort, but it seems i'm not the only one dealing with these issues, so i guess i'll just accept it's part of getting older and deal with it.

RJF22553 likes this.
  9. boatme98

boatme98 Well-Known Member

Don't have a wife.
    Could be why the neighbors scream and run when I check the mailbox.:eek:

RJF22553 and Dallas53 like this.
  10. boatme98

boatme98 Well-Known Member

It's ok until you remember, 5 months later, to look for them:confused:

11. Dallas53

or hunt for last year's Easter eggs! :p:eek:o_O:D

boatme98, RJF22553 and Ross82 like this.
  12. Dallas53

i do at least have my boxers on. :D

boatme98 likes this.
  13. Daoust_Nat

Daoust_Nat Well-Known Member Supporter

My Doctor told me I have CRS. When I asked what exactly that was, he sad; “Can’t remember sh!t!”

I have a terrible time with names. Particularly when I see someone someplace I don’t expect to see them.

boatme98 and Dallas53 like this.
  14. RJF22553

There were so many times in my life where I saw someone who I recognized (and they, me), but for the life of me couldn't recall their name. This was mostly my first year in the Pentagon - seemed like old-home week for some and aside from the absurdity of the "logic-free-zone", was enjoyable to renew acquaintances with friends I hadn't seen for years. Having been a course director/instructor for a few years with about 300+ students per year, it wasn't unusual to come across former students who remembered me, but I drew a blank initially. Once they told me what class # and time frame, it all came to crystal clarity, but until then, it was embarrassing.

Dallas53 and boatme98 like this.
  15. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I have always had a bad time with names. I can almost always recognize faces, and where they are from, and usually any conversations.

Names, can’t ever remember names. I once forgot a girls name in the middle of introducing her to my best friend and his fiancé, “ John, Linda, meet, ...., uhhm, ....uhhm, ....uhhm....”

Third uhhm, and that not quite five foot, not quite a hundred pound redhead Irish lass, toed up and landed a right that dropped me. Hardest I’ve ever been hit.

I came to, to find John Down on the floor laughing so hard he was crying. The first thing he said, after he regained his composure, was ask me for her phone number.

His dad coached golden gloves, and they had just started girls. He wanted to get her started boxing, because she had just launched the best right he’d ever seen.