Feeling Humble Today

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by sheriffjohn, Apr 6, 2018.

1. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

A couple of weeks ago, I left the farm for a doctor's appointment and put my
    Kel=Tec P3At on the passenger's seat along with a coat and other stuff. I only made two stops - Doctor and Quickshop. At home, unable to find the gun, I searched the truck. That night,
    I searched the truck again with a flashlight, removing everything. Yesterday, I found the pistol behind the passenger side carpet, beneath the glove compartment. completely hidden.

After failing to find the gun, I reported it lost or stolen to the PD. Now, I had to call back and report it recovered. They were courteous, understanding, and took it out of the computer.

How it slid up there, lodged behind the carpet, and remained hidden is odd, but it happened.

I lose stuff constantly - keys, wallet, wrenches, chainsaw, fishing rods, etc. Getting old.

2. AmPaTerry

AmPaTerry Forum Chaplain Lifetime Supporter

We all do that, Sheriffjohn -
    Some years ago, I told my doctor that I was starting to worry because I would misplace stuff - He said:
    "If you can't remember where you put your car keys, don't worry about it; it is normal.
    If you can't remember what they are - then you have a problem."
    I quit worrying at that point - I lose the keys, I forget where I parked, etc., but still know what they are.

3. RJF22553

RJF22553 Well-Known Member

A few days ago, when gearing up for morning horse chores, I couldn't find my everywhere-carry Bersa. I feel naked without it. I ALWAYS put it on the shelf of my bedside table, but it wasn't there. Was concerned that, perhaps, I had left it down near the barn.

Did the morning chores, feeling naked, and looked all around for it. Went back up to the house and checked around - no joy.

Once back in the bedroom, I tuned on the overhead light, searched around a bit more, and found it just under the shelf, on top of some books. In the dark, I had misjudged the elevation.

Felt like an idiot, but for about five hours, there was some serious concern.

First time that has happened, and I don't care for that to happen again...

4. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Sometimes getting lucky is remembering what you came it the room for.

boatme98, Billy9mm, OldBlue and 3 others like this.
  5. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member

don't feel too bad. my wife has to remind me to put on pants most days! :p

boatme98 likes this.
  6. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

nudist resort

buckhuntr and Dallas53 like this.
  7. Rentacop

Rentacop Well-Known Member

Boy, is this ever common ! I misplaced my cell phone and bought a new one for hundreds of bucks before it turned up . I set it on top of the freezer for some reason...

MisterMcCool likes this.
  8. Missouribound

Missouribound Well-Known Member

I am fortunate enough to live on 5 acres and have my own "range" to shoot at. I usually pack a few guns, my 22A, Walther P99, Taurus PT38S and my Airweight .38 my wife bought me in a range bag a walk to the area. After shooting I put the guns back in the safe and toss the bag up on the shelf.
    My nephew came over and I was showing him my guns and didn't find the Airweight. I panicked...started going through the safe and clothes I wore when I shot last. After about 30 minutes of panic I searched the bag again. That little weightless gun was under some other gear.

MisterMcCool and Dallas53 like this.
  9. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

I have NEVER been good at remembering names, other than that I seem to do OK !............

MisterMcCool and RJF22553 like this.
  10. Missouribound

Missouribound Well-Known Member

As I get older my memory seems both selective and obstinate.
    I can tell stories from 40 years ago as if they happened yesterday.
    Unfortunately I can't remember that I have already told that story multiple times.
    Oh well..........

boatme98, 303tom and RJF22553 like this.
  11. sheriffjohn

I'm infamous for forgetting. When we left for a 4-month trip to Alaska, I left my billfold on the kitchen table. About 100 miles from home, stopped to get diesel. Left Management and 5th wheel at a camp ground, 100 miles back to the house.

Management's family has 9 kids, all crammed in the car after church. Left little Jeff at the Church, didn't miss him 'til they got home. Another time, I was running the brush hog and left my Glock 22 atop her car so it wouldn't fall out in the weeds. Forgot she had to go to work. 45 miles from home, she stopped to get gas. The pistol had slid off the roof and lodged on the spoiler of her car. Maybe a lanyard would be a good idea ?

Sister-in-law borrowed a sleeping bag for a float trip. When she brought it back, she handed me my Model 36 S&W which I had hidden in the sleeping bag months before.

Etc. Etc. I also buy multiples, especially hand tools. Then find the originals.

It is apparently an inherited thing. My father always stopped for gas at a gun shop/service station when driving to our farm. Somehow he had it in his mind we were out of FFFFg black powder (we weren't, it was FFg), so he nearly always picked up a can of FFFFg. He's been dead for 30 years. I still have unopened cans of DuPont FFFFg with prices marked on them less than $5.

boatme98 and winds-of-change like this.
  12. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

When I was a kid, I was changing the starter on my car. Which of course takes the special starter wrench. I got the old starter out, and stopped for lunch. Went outside, to go back to work, and couldn’t find my wrench. Looked for it for about an hour and still couldn’t find it.

It was Sunday, and all the stores in the little town I lived in were closed. So, I was going to have go to Sears to get one. It was 45-miles in to the mall Sears was in. And, about 40-minutes to closing time.

So, I borrowed my Mom’s Volvo, and headed to Sears, driving like a madman, and got there just in time, to get through the doors before they locked them. Found the wrench I needed, and the girl rang it up. I reached in my hip pocket, to get my wallet so I could pay, and what do I find but the wrench.

I looked at the wrench for a minute, and then looked back at her, and said, “Never mind, I just found mine.” She was still laughing when she unlocked the doors to let me out.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
    boatme98 and winds-of-change like this.
  13. sheriffjohn

Then there's the missing reading glasses. On my head.

14. Mongo

Mongo Well-Known Member Supporter

I seem to remember things I would prefer to forget. Mistakes mostly. I look back and think I sure got away with a lot of stuff. I'm not hiding from anyone and no one is hiding from me so I say all is well (as it can be)

15. Donn

Donn Well-Known Member

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger. Was looking all over the basement for a box of 9mm ammo this morning, couldn't imagine what I did with it. It was in my left hand.

JTJ and Dallas53 like this.
  16. Dallas53

i did the same thing a few weeks ago with a screwdriver. looked high and low everywhere i had been using it, or might have put it down at, and all the time it was in my back pocket! Doh! :oops::confused::p:D

17. IowaShooter

IowaShooter Well-Known Member Supporter

I read this whole thread an hour ago and forgot to reply....

Seriously- I have to write down things more than ever

I am getting more absent minded

I worry about that when it comes to reloading

boatme98 and Dallas53 like this.
  18. Ross82

Ross82 Well-Known Member Supporter

I can't wait to hide my own Easter eggs.

19. Ross82

Ross82 Well-Known Member Supporter

And wrap my own Christmas presents

20. Dallas53

trust me, if you live long enough, that day is coming!

i too have write myself lists and such, because my short term memory has gone to crap. if i don't write things down, five minutes later, i can't remember what i was going to do.

now where was i?

boatme98 likes this.