Feed issues

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by forever27, Jul 18, 2012.

1. forever27

forever27 New Member

First of all I know a lot of people have issues with Hi Point firearms, but this is a serious question, please don't just tell me how awful they are. This past weekend a friend and I went out to shoot some rounds for fun, I have a Glock 23 and he had a Hi Point 9mm. As the day went on his pistol was having trouble chambering the first round when he released the slide. The gun would fire fine and chamber each successive round without issue after he/we got the first round to chamber. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

2. Commocarl

Commocarl New Member

Is the Hi Point new?
    I had a little trouble the first round with my CZ 75 the first few times manually pulling the slide. I am pretty certain that it was because it was new. I would think that he needs to make sure he is not riding the action. Just pull the slide to the rear and keep going, the slide will come out of his hand and load the first round.
    I have noticed women still have trouble loading the first round in my CZ, wrist? not sure.

Just my 2cents

3. roscoguy

roscoguy New Member

Many guns don't like to chamber the first round if you 'slingshot' the slide. If he's doing this, have him use the slide release instead & see if that fixes the problem.

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

if you have several hundred rounds through it and its still happening contact hipoint their customer service is stellar.

5. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

My advice is just the opposite. I've fired several guns that would not feed the first round if you use the slide stop/release. But worked fine if you " slingshot" them. So Op, what method were you using?

6. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Have him NOT stuff the mag with every round that fits. Stop one round short and try that.

Sometimes the spring goes into bind and just doesn't have the poop to push the first round out. :eek:

7. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

Springs poop? Lol

8. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

He called the sh$t poop. Haha. Sorry I watched Billy Madison yesterday. :)

9. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Better than projectile diarrhea! [​IMG]

10. forever27

forever27 New Member

Thanks for the info, he just informed me he was also using a new 10 rd magazine rather then the 8 rd one that came with the pistol. Maybe that was the issue? Anyway, I will post an update after we get out to shoot again.

11. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

I vote for mag issues also-
    I always vote that way on feeding issues-
    BTW- I'm right 9 out of 10 times :p

12. PlasticGunner

PlasticGunner New Member

You may want to look at the hi point forums. Like said, it is most likely the mag. I had a problem like that with my taurus, was an easy fix.

Attached Files:

13. gollygee

gollygee New Member

Do as Cane suggests & try it with one less round. If that stops it, tell him to load the mag up full & let it set for a week or so then try it again.

14. kiabe1

kiabe1 New Member

u know hipoints come with a lifetime warranty right just send it in and tell em the problem

15. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I have to agree with jj on his assessment of this comment.

What does the owners manual say to do?