Fedex question

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by dragunovsks, Dec 17, 2011.

1. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

So i ordered an Afg from Magpul and was tracking its progress across the country, it was due to arrive today. Ive only bought one or two other items online and neither was shipped fedex. We went christmas shopping today and the fedex truck came while we werent home. I guess i needed to be home to sign for it? I assumed it would be left by the door or in my dodge pickup as i know ups sometimes does this. Fedex.com says it will now be the 20th but that is tuesday and ill be at work then. So what happens then? Would they leave it then or take it to the post office?

2. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

That's fedex home delivery. They don't run Monday. You may take that doorknocker sticker to the local Fedex Ground terminal on Monday and pick it up in person, or sign it and leave it on your front door to authorize a Tuesday delivery.

If you don't do either of these, they will make 3 total attempts they return to shipper. They WILL NOT leave at the. Post office.

I spent 230,000 miles in a Fedex Ground delivery truck.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

you can pick it up at their distribution center. just give them a call with the tracking number. whether they leave something at the door or not depends on the shipper's request and how safe your neighborhood is.

ups left my springfield armory 1911A1 at the door for me after it came back from getting the 470 rowland kit fitted...

mileage varies.

4. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

If a signature is required they will attempt to deliver it again. If no one is home it will go back to the sender. Go onto the Fedex website and see what the tracking info says, you may be able to relay delivery instructions over the web or sign the slip they left at your door. Not sure that FedEx will leave it at the post office, most likely the fed ex depot for your area.

5. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

If you call them and 'give them permission' to leave it at the door with no signature, they will do that, I believe. That way the responsibility is off them if you say they can do that.

6. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

Ok thanks, i didnt see anything in the order confirmation or shipment emails from magpul or the fedex tracking page that indicated that a signature was required. Also there was no door knocker slip at the door, in mailbox, in my truck or in my wife's explorer, i checked for one but nothing. The tracking page on fedex says, "delivery exception (customer not home or business closed)". Ill try to contact fedex and see about picking it up at thier shipping center. I live in the country on a state highway with elderly neighbors, crime in my area is pretty low so thats not really a problem i dont think.

Ok just got the number off the website, ill give them a call tomorrow, not sure if ill get an answer. Ill authorize them to leave it here, dont really want to drive 40 miles to thier depot to get it, dont know where it is anyway.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  7. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

How did you like that job, i was wondering about doing something like that the other day.

8. willfully armed

I positively loved my job and my customers.

Me and some management didn't jive. That's why I'm EX FEDEX.

9. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

If you dont mind me asking whats the hourly pay? It would have to be pretty good for me to drive 40 miles to work when i only drive 6 now.

10. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

That's too bad that you had to leave a job you loved because of bad management.

11. willfully armed

Fedex ground and home delivery are contracted positions. We weren't fedex employees. My uncle owned my truck and route.

Contractor pay (settlement) was determined by many factors.
    You had a core area pay...determined by zipcode. You got paid per stop, per package, per mile. You got service bonuses for making all of your deliveries.

If I showed up at bobs janitorial with a pkg, but they're closed for lunch, you just delivered it to a neighboring business.

Say I had 5 pkgs but they weighed 100# each... I'm not leaving them next-door. I'm taking them back to the terminal ... attempt delivery the next day.

My service record just took a ding for 5 undelivered pkgs. Your percentage of undelivered pkgs gets too high, you lose your bonus.

Contractors could make alot of money, but they could lose alot of money. They own the truck, pay for gas/diesel, tires, repairs.

I got paid between 600-800 a week depending on performance.

12. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

Wow, thats better than i thought. I figured it was like 10 or 11 bucks an hour, i knew most the otr guys were owner operators but i didnt know the home delivery guys were too.

I called the 1-800 number on the website and talked to a lady and she made a note for the driver to leave it it my pickup truck in the driveway. She said the item didnt require a signature so she wasnt sure why it wasnt left at the door.

Oh well she said the next truck would be by on tuesday.

13. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Call FEDEX. You can probably intercept the package and hold it at the facility or redirect delivery.

14. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

Its at thier facility about 40 miles from my house, i dont really need it bad enough to justify burning the fuel in my f150 to go get it today. I can wait till tuesday.

15. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

Yes, I quite agree with above statement. That is how I manage mine.