Federal made a winner!

Discussion in 'Range Report' started by mesinge2, Apr 25, 2010.

1. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

I purchased a Taurus Judge when they first came out. I was impressed with the 45LC ammo, the #4 shot ammo, but the OOO buckshot (the reason I bought it) was painfully inaccurate. The following is 5 subsequent shots with Winchester Super-X .410 Bore 2 1/2" OOO Buck with 3 pellets from the 2.5" Chamber Judge with 3" Barrel at 14 yards.

View attachment 13703

Pathetic Right!

I was throughly disappointed and ready to sell the gun. Then I heard of this new ammo for the Judge, actually made for it. Federal Premium Personal Defense .410 Handgun 2 1/2" OOO Buckshot with 4 pellets. This is the same gun and the same range (14 yards).

View attachment 13704

Amazing improvement. I think the trick is that the pellets of the Federal are contained within the wad therefore clustering the shot.

With these velocities and the 71 grain ball weight it is like four 36 percussion balls hitting in a space of 2.5 inches. My thinking is that Jesse James killed pretty well with a 36 percussion and 20 ball rounds in five pulls of the trigger is impressive. I know I sound like an ad for Federal but they really did create a winner.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
  2. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Have you tried the Winchester PDX? I'd be curious to see some first had experience.

3. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

Not yet, I have been waiting to order some on Midway (still listed as comming soon). It has been hard to get.

4. michigan0626

michigan0626 New Member

Is there any effectiveness to using this firearm for self defense. Performance should be greatly inhibited with a such a short barrel right? I saw the watermellon video, I think that was just for the shock and awe effect for tv. From 7-15 yards is it probably to effectively incapacity a threat? I do see a usefullness of it though hiking on a trail as a snake gun.

5. Kaptin

Kaptin New Member

Premium Personal Defense .410

This ammo is designed for Personal Defense against 2 legged creatures not snakes

6. michigan0626

michigan0626 New Member

more effective than 230 grains of 45 acp goodness?

7. Kaptin

Kaptin New Member

probably not, but they are claiming something like 12 inches of penetration in gel...so it will proly get the job done

8. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

15 yards is not much of a threat in my eyes.