Federal goose-chase?

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by T.Mihm, Jul 6, 2009.

1. T.Mihm

T.Mihm New Member

Hey guys. My old mossie loves the Federal Champ 50-rd boxes, and I wanted to go get some bulk, but I can't seem to find ANYWHERE that stocks it anymore. The three Walmarts around don't have it in stock. The online places that I found on google never have it in stock. Most of the local shops don't have it period.

Should I just look harder, or try and find a different kind of ammo my gun likes? CCI? American Eagle bulk? Thanks for any help.

-Travis

2. Shotgun Shooter

Shotgun Shooter New Member

Try some other kinds. It seems like you're going through alot of trouble to find this one kind. My 10/22 shoots everything I feed her.

S.S.

3. T.Mihm

T.Mihm New Member

Yeah, I think I'm just going to start buying a few 50cts of whatever ammo is at the local store and see what groups best. The Federal is great stuff, but I can't find it, no use sitting around waiting for it to show up. I'm NOT missing Tango's shoot this month if it kills me haha.

Any Mossie owners out there care to share what works best for you?

-Travis

4. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I haven't seen much bulk .22 anything at wally world for a while.

I've been buying the more expensive cci's. :rolleyes:

5. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

I'm having the same problem - my Henry lever ONLY shoots Federal 36 gr. RN or HP Value pack ammo accurately. WalMart used to sell them for $12 a brick. It's been over two months since they had ANY bulk .22 ammo. Occasionally they get some in, but I've been told repeatedly that they stock the shelves at 7 am and are sold out by 9 am....I don't get it! WTF are people doing? Hanging out at WalMart before going to work in the morning? I'm giving up on the .22 until I can get the ammo I need.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2009
  6. Shotgun Shooter

I too havent seen many bricks of 22 at Walmart.
    I like buying 50rd packs so I can try out different brands.
    But, I have an unopened brick of federals on top of my remington golden bullet brick.

S.S.

7. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

CCI MiniMags are always in stock - but at $6.50/100 they can keep them! My old Mossberg shoots them accurately which is why I used it for the Tango Shooting Fest.

8. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

Federal HP Value Pack works very well in my Mossy 144LSB and in my custom 1022. I still have almost 3000 rounds left. Will last me until I can re-stock if I don't go hog wild. I also have some Hansen Target and some Remingtons that work even better. I am ready for this months shoot. I just have to get out and do it..

Jim..............

9. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

So YOU'RE the reason Wally World is sold out!!!:D

10. T.Mihm

T.Mihm New Member

Think I'm going with some CCI's.

I've read conflicting reports about using anything other than .22LR in a 151K. Could anyone tell me for sure whether or not it will fire them? I would think that shorts would have loading problems due to the tube magazine, and I'm not familiar with .22 Longs. What's a CB? Same thing as a short?

-Travis

11. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

CCI mini mags ARE high velocity .22 long rifle cartridges. Most velocity increases in .22 cartridges are accomplished either by reducing the bullet weight or increasing the powder charge. CB caps are the same length as a short but contain no powder and have lower velocities. The bullet is driven by the primer alone, hence the pellet-gun velocities. If your gun specifically says ".22 LR ONLY" , do not use anything but .22 LR.

12. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

Not me. I havn't bought any .22s for over 6 years. I always tried to keep at least 10000 .22s stocked in my ammo vault at any one time just for times like these. I would do that by buying a brick or two every payday. The secret is to build your stock up slowly. Then just replace what you use and you won't have to worry too much about times like these. I do need to re-stock though, but not all at once !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jim...............

13. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

My hat's off to you for being a prepper! I have done the same with Rem 55gr. MC .223 ammo when it was selling for $8 a box. At that price it was actually cheaper than buying unprimed brass! I never thought .22 ammo would become scarce - I'll never make THAT mistake again!:(

14. Shotgun Shooter

I need to get a job so I can buy a box or two every week. But right now, I'm only getting $20 a week to mow my dads old house hes selling. Oh well, I'll probably pick up a box or 2..or 5 this weekend. :)

S.S.

15. T.Mihm

T.Mihm New Member

Well I found my Federal ammo, just not Champ Target like I've used before. At Dunham's, they have 100ct boxes of 40gr copper-plated round nose, and 50ct boxes of 31gr CPHP's.

Those 31gr loads are shooting hot at 1430fps. I don't know if I want to use High Velocity ammo, but I bet that stuff will do wonders on coons. I might just give it a go anyway. The 100cts are $7 each and the 50ct's are $3.85. Really wish I could find that bulk!!!

-Travis

16. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

The umpteen mossbergs my dad has all shoot the best with Federal 711B (GMM) and some agulia black box match ammo. Here is a 44 us with a 3-9x32 sightron group I shot yesterday with the agulia black box.

IMG_0883.jpg

17. T.Mihm

T.Mihm New Member

A 44US and match ammo BETTER group well. Haha. What was the target distance.

On a tangent, I found out that my girlfriend's uncle is the manager at Dunham's and she get's 20% off everything there. So I might just have to take her with me when we go on another ammo run.

-Travis

18. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

50 yards.

As far as shooting the stingers in a 151 k I would caution against that. From what I have been told form guys that know more about mossbergs than I know all together they make over time damage the older semi autos.