Federal Champion 45 ACP will now have small primers

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by spittinfire, Feb 15, 2011.

1. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Just got off the phone with Federal about a box I got at Walmart and was told that Federal produces that specifically for Walmart using a plated bullet and to save costs all of it will have small pistol primers. This is a recent change that is still filtering into the market but I thought I would share.

I'm bummed because this was my new brass source and now I need to find a new one.

2. orangello

orangello New Member

But i'm sure they will pass the cost savings on to us, right?
    :rolleyes:

3. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

I run into small primer pockets on some of the once-fired Speer and Blazer brass I get from the range.

I'm wondering if anyone had developed a load using small pistol or small pistol magnum primers for the 45 acp ?

I know that 6.8 spc cartridges come either large pocket or small pocket without any adverse effect.

4. Squirrel_Slayer

Squirrel_Slayer New Member

This is sacrilege I tell you. So is it feasible that I can go buy .45 GAP and shoot it out of my 1911, and vice versa, go buy a box of .45 ACP and shoot it out of a Glock .45?

5. spittinfire

SS, I agree but in a plant that only makes Federal Champion for Walmart and 45acp is the only pistol round that uses a large primer I see why they are doing it. I don't like it but I understand.

My undersanding is that they can be loaded just like brass with large pistol primers. Double check your loads though.

6. Squirrel_Slayer

Squirrel_Slayer New Member

I would think there has to be some kind of pressure difference between the two rounds, one with the large primer pocket and the other with the small pocket. Is the price savings really that substantial to purchase the Federal stuff from Wally World? Maybe Blazer is a good alternative for you, and that might be available from say Big 5 or one of the other sporting goods store available to you.

7. orangello

orangello New Member

Some clerk was telling me that this Federal Champion was a replacement for Blazer at Wally'sWorld. IOW, that WW wouldn't be carrying the Blazer anymore, in favor of the Federal. Not sure. Sucks for those of us with limited ammo shopping options. :(

I think i'm just going to start buying all my ammo online.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
  8. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

Negative. 10mm does as well, plus its superior to 45, so I understand the change;)

Also, champion IS blazer brass. Same company, same plated bullet, same cheap brass. Just a different name on the headstamp, different box design. They just charge more for it

Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
  9. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The Speer Non Toxic .45 ACP uses small primers. I guess they do not make non toxic large pistol primers. I have loaded several thousand rounds of .45 with the same load I use with large primers. They shoot just fine. I find it handy when large primers are scarce.

10. Eric0424

Eric0424 New Member

Last edited: Feb 16, 2011
  11. spittinfire

Negative. 45 acp is the only pistol round loaded in the Federal Champion name so it's the only one loaded in their plant that requires LP primers.

Robo, I never thought about using them when Large primers are harder to find but then I never ran out. Right now I own 50 small primed 45s and I'm debating what to do with the brass.

12. noylj

noylj Member

Just sorted through about 300 .45 Auto cases from my last trip to the range. I managed to pick up about 40 of the little buggers. So, from now on, I will have to watch for small primers in my returning .45Auto cases. What a pain. However, it is less of a pain than when my 1050 press locks up and I have to clear the shell plate to eliminate the problems.
    These are a mixture of Federal and Blazer and the brass, other than the head-stamp, definitely look identical.
    I also found about 6 Winchester cases that had huge flash holes. Looked like someone had reloaded their indoor, plastic-bullet cases. I had heard that some "non-toxic" primer rounds were made with larger flash holes, but these were HUGE and were in "Winchester" cases.
    The bad thing is that I didn't come home with much more brass than I took, so I look at it as having "lost" about 50 cases out of 300.

13. JonM

JonM Moderator

Doesn't bother me too much iive got about 200ish of em atm from range pickups when I hit 500 ill loadem and shoot.

14. BILLYBOB44

BILLYBOB44 New Member

Spitty, sort+save them. When you get enough for a run, go ahead and load them up.
    BTW, there has been some talk on the .40 S&W+10MM that the small primer cases actually have a stronger web area, due to the more brass/less primer factor. Some of the "Boys" over on the Glock Forum are getting some "Atom Bomb" type loads out of their 10's.:eek:

15. BILLYBOB44

BILLYBOB44 New Member

I'll take them Spitty..

:rolleyes:
    Send them to me Spitty--I'll use them..Bill.:rolleyes:

16. spittinfire

I haven't shot them yet.....

17. Dzscubie

Dzscubie New Member

That's ok spitty just send them to me anyway... :D

I have a bunch of small pistol primers.

Scubie

18. spittinfire

I do too but only 50 pieces of 45 brass that will take them.

19. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

I've got three sorces for ammo in my little town, the local gun shop (that thinks they have enough of a monopoly to get away with $creewing you) Wally World, and an Ace Hardware. Wally World beets the LGS, but ACE beats Wally World hands down EVERY TIME. Usually $2-$3 less per box.

20. rifleman55

rifleman55 New Member

The 45 auto does not have a lot of powder, I'm betting a small primer will do just as well as a large primer. Has anyone compared the size of the flash hole?

John k