Federal ammo from Walmart

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by Yunus, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Yunus

Yunus New Member

Walmart near me has Federal ammo in .22 in boxes of 550 for about $20 and recently they added boxes of 325 that are "Target grade performance" whatever that means.

Anyone have a review they could offer on the new target grade performance rounds? Specifically I am interested in accuracy, reliability and if they jam every other round.

2. Longrange

Longrange New Member

I have no experience with the Federal target grade. I have however used Federal .22lr bulk and it is crap IMO. My experience with it was less then exciting. I got poor accuracy at 100 yards (which I expected to a degree) but I also had too many rounds that would not chamber. For a bolt action that is pretty sad. It is the only bulk ammo that I refuse to buy again. If accuracy is what you after try CCI mini mags or wolf match

3. Misfire

Misfire New Member

I use the Federal "Target Grade" ammo exclusively these days. It's also labelled "Auto Match". According to Federal, the ammo is specifically designed to work in automatics. They will work in many guns that are typically very picky. I've found they work in guns that will usually only work reliably with CCI mini mags. And at $14 for a box of 325 rds, they are a heck of a lot cheaper.

4. ZombieBrawler

ZombieBrawler New Member

I use the federal 30.06, $15 for 20 rounds cheapest there is and they shoot just fine with a big ol bang

5. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

+1! The Federal "Auto Match" is good stuff. I shoot steel challenge with
    a tricked out 10-22 and a 22-45 MkIII. Shooting against the clock--a
    misfire pretty much blows the string time. Had ONE failure to fire in over
    2000 rounds.

6. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

The 325 Auto Match ran well in my Ruger MK I & II but almost everything does. Accuracy was nothing special or was on par w bulk ammo but 22s can be fickle beast so performance w your gun may be different.

I get Federals 550 pk for $16 and it has served me well. Not sure if I got a lucky batch or it is reliable ammo.

Longrange: If it wouldn't cycle in my bolt action, I wouldn't be a "happy camper" either. They stopped making PMC Target ammo and for my guns, it was the most accurate and economical. Damn shame !

7. godale

godale New Member

i bought 270 rounds for my stevens they are 15.00 a box and work just as good as ganders 21.97 a box ammo

8. donthav1

donthav1 Active Member

believe it or not, the federal auto match was one of the few that worked great in my jennings j22, before i sold it anyway.

9. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

Federal Automatch is almost as good as CCI minimags...good precision and very reliable consistancy.

10. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I just use the Federal 550 bulk in the red box. See my avatar? I have the CCI but I don't really use it. It's expensive and the Federal does just fine for me. I have very few jams with the Federal Bulk 550.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  11. historydoc

historydoc New Member

I also use federal auto match; best bulk ammo I've found.

12. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

Federal 550 Bulk is eaten ammo for the Ruger SR22 and Buckmark Camper. The S&W MP 15-22 requires Blazer CCI.

The only FTF's were operator error in loading the magazine!

13. Yunus

Yunus New Member

I guess I need to buy a box and compare FTF's. I shot about 200 rounds of Remington thunderbolt last time I was out and had 2 duds. I feel it's less common with the Federal bulk 550 but I'll need to go shooting and verify.

14. Misfire

Misfire New Member

Bet ya that S&W would run on Federal Auto Match.

15. JTEX

JTEX New Member

My Walther P22 likes the auto match. No issues so far!

16. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

17. Misfire

Misfire New Member

Understood, but not talking about the regular Federal bulk ammo. I've seen several 22s choke on that. The Federal Auto Match is a 40gr solid, and I haven't yet see a gun that won't shoot it. Not saying that they don't exist, but I haven't encountered one yet. Even the ultra picky Sig Mosguito shot it. And I've been eyeing a S&W, I'd be curious to know if it worked, especially since I have a bunch of the Auto Match on hand.

18. vincent

vincent New Member

IMHO those Thunderbolts are pure crap...:cool:
    IMHO those Federal "Lightning" are almost pure crap but for $1.97 for 50, I'll get over it...:cool:

Picked up a box of the 325 you were asking about yesterday and ran 200ish through my unmodified 10/22. No FT-anythings. Performance wise they're not quite as good as the Fed 550"s, but still pretty decent.

Fed 550-36g hp 1260 fps
    Fed target grade-40g solid 1200 fps

I was getting roughly the same drop at 100 yards with both. The 550's seemed to perform just a little better.

19. somawas

somawas New Member

Results of ten rounds of the Federal ammo at 50 yards out of a custom 10/22.

Attached Files:

20. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

Impressive group - always nice when you get what you pay for...:D