Features you once liked

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by BeyondTheBox, May 26, 2013.

1. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

but later found you really disliked or hated...?

For me, it's a grip safety.

I loved, still do, the look of a 1911 style beavertail grip safety, and the idea is still awesome, but I absolutely loathe the actual feel and functionality of it. It forces a very particular style of grip which I, personally don't enjoy or shoot well.

I would really like to try that of an XDs or AMT Backup, to get a feel for any differences. I've handled both in shops, but never shot, and that's where the real feel comes in.

2. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

On my amt back up, it entails very little force to "activate" and shoots surprisingly well for a 380.

3. Kraj

Kraj New Member

"match grade chamber" everything was fine until I started have problems with the gun going back into battery

4. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

The extended slide stop on a 1911.

The thing works great as a stop without being extended, and my thumb does not prematurely activate it.

5. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

I like natural breasts, none of the silicon stuff.

As far as handguns , I think the products from the major companies have improved and there is no reason to look back. I do worry about the craftsmanship from newer companies endangering others with cheaper materials, and shoddy structural integrity of the firearms.

6. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I hate all manual safeties on handguns.:mad:

I hate wood stocks.:(

7. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Dan, that's an excellent point!

Though on these new 2011 with double stack width, I do find them of much more use.

8. SigArmored

SigArmored New Member

I'm with you on the manual safety issue however love the wood furniture on certain rifles and pistols.I just can't imagine a mod.70 without a nice walnut stock and forearm.

9. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Ambi safeties and front cocking serrations.

10. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Smokeless powder and self-contained metallic cartridges. The novelty wears off... I still think they're a passing fad.

Last edited: May 26, 2013
  11. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Oh excellent point on the front serrations, I've never liked those, who racks a slide from the front anyway? Lol

12. xring3

xring3 Member

My .40 cal S&W Sigma. have owned for about a year now and figured today I should take it to the range give it a workout. heaviest trigger of any handgun I own! this will need modification.

13. bigbomar4

bigbomar4 New Member

My first pistol was a Sigma got it the day I turned 21. Sold it a month later. Havnt had a striker fired gun since. I've shot plenty but I just can't bring my self to buy another after the Sigma

14. knfxda

knfxda New Member

The grip safety on the XD-m is barely noticeable.

15. donthav1

donthav1 Active Member

magazine disconnect safety...we're told to treat every firearm as if it is loaded, even by the manufacturer, but then the same manufacturer comes along & tells us "if you have one in the chamber & drop the magazine, it's safe."

16. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Honestly, and not really a feature, but full size guns in general I find no value in, whatsoever. I prefer compact and sub by miles.

I once thought I'd love a 1911, but I realize now, that I really don't like them at all, at least not the overweight and oversized government models. Even commander is pushing it for me.

17. trip286

trip286 New Member

Full sized guns shine on the range and in combat, where size, weight, and concealability are not an issue. They aren't as valuable in a daily carry piece where a gun with comparable firepower can be had in a smaller package.

I carry a full size 1911 and used to carry a Smith and Wesson 65-3. I feel this qualifies me to make that assessment in my own opinion.

18. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Oh of course Trip, if you're a handgun Hunter or competition shooter, a long barrel is great!

For me anything over 7" is too much and undesirable.

19. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I have no problem with a Gov framed 1911 for carry. It's all about having a good belt and holster. I will say though that I've been around 1911's form when I was a kid till now so maybe I just don't notice the weight and size.

I'm not a fan of any poly framed striker fired pistols. I've owned several and really did try to like them. They just feel funky to me. So it's not that I think they are crap or anytihng. I just think they feel like a toy in my hands. I don't mind alloy framed guns but I really do like the4 all steel, show me the hammer handgun.

I'm not a fan of the poly stock either. They do have use to me though. I just can't bring myself to paint a wood stock so if I'm wanting some painted thing I"ll get something with a poly stock. I won a few poly stock long guns but every one of them would look better to me with some nice wood. It's a sign of the times I guess. I grew up in the day when guns where made from steel and wood. Back when I was a kid plastic was used in all that made in Japan junk. Now days made in Japan is not too bad a thing. So, maybe I'm just getting old.:)

20. austin92

austin92 New Member

That's why this is my edc piece. Can't seam to find a serpa for it though :(

Attached Files: