Features of 1911A1 balance small magazine?

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by CHLChris, Aug 2, 2010.

1. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

I have room in my current collection for a single, full-size handgun. Right now, that position is being filled by a Glock 19, but I am ready to move up by selling the G19 and buying something else. First, I have decided that a full-size handgun--if I only have ONE--should probably be in .45 ACP. We could have the tired caliber argument, but we all know this comes down to personal preference at some level, so .45 ACP is my decision.

My need for this pistol fits under the category of in-home personal defense and SHTF protection of my area (family, home, community, whatever I need to protect). My thought is that all things being equal I would love to have as many rounds as possible. But not all things are equal.

Part of me really wants a SA XDm45. 13+1.

Part of me knows that if I only have room for one full-size, then why not go with a 1911A1? But Browning designed it to be 7+1.

Question: Do the benefits of the 1911A1 design balance the "lower" capacity?

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I have never had a concern of the 8+1 capacity of the 1911a1 (with an 8 round mag). But that is what I shoot in competition.
    You could look at the para or STI high caps.

3. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

Nope. The high-capacity pistols use a double-stack technology. Correct me if I'm wrong here. If I'm going to go 1911, I want the original design as, they say, "God and John Browning intended it."

If I'm going to go double stack, I might as well go with the XDm because I have already lost two of the most important benefits of the 1911:

-Ergonomics
    -Interchangeability of parts.

I see there are 8-round mags that are still single-stack, but one extra round isn't a good trade-off (IMHO) for the loss implied by a change in original design.

4. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

The 8rd mags are the basically the same size as the original 7 rounders, just updated followers and basepads. No change in Ergos, or function.
    You can also run extended 10 rounders for competition or home defense, not so great for concealed carry as they stick out about 1" farther.

5. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

Gate and danf, are you both saying that the tradeoff is worth it, and then mitigate the imbalance at least a little through magazine choice?

It does seem that price isn't really an issue, right? Though one could easily purchase 1911's that are thrice as expensive as an XDm, there are many good 1911's for the same price. There are some even cheaper, from I've seen.

6. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  7. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

Oh darn, I thought I had this thing figured out. Cane saying "Don't buy a 1911" makes me bonkers because I obviously am missing something. I know you specified M1911A1. When I go looking at 1911's, is there a different moniker I should be looking for? This is obviously a huge market. It is sort of like asking, "Which AR-15 should I buy?" I mean, how do you answer that in a single thread?

BTW, I'm not really asking about types of 1911's (readers out there who want to chime in and tell me about a really cool 1911 they saw on the web). I really want to know the answer to that issue, but I'm still trying to wrap my head around why I should walk away from 14 rounds so I can get 8-9 rounds.

8. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

I carried a Glock 21 45acp 13+1 for years, absolutely loved it. I bought a 1911 to see if it would live up to the "hype". One week later and around 200 rounds through the 1911 and my beloved g21 was traded off for a back up revolver.
    Everything from the way the 1911 handled and pointed to the awesome trigger pull and accuracy were way better.
    Point shooting and double taps? Forget about it, I could almost think where I wanted the rounds to go and the holes would just appear in a tiny cluster on the target. I actually shot better, faster and more accurately the first time out with my Kimber than I ever did with the G21 and this is after shooting and carrying Glocks for over 10 years:eek:
    A little more practice and 8 months later I'm light years ahead of where I ever was before and still getting better.

Is the trade off worth it? For me it was :cool:

Individual results may vary:D

9. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Just my 2c's. If you are more comfortable with polymer, go for the XD45m, it will also give you more capacity. If you want a steel pistol, or steel and alloy, then go with a 1911. Eight round mags fit just like seven round mags. So you have 8 +1 rounds. I do not and will not feel outgunned or undergunned with nine rounds of 230gr. goodness.

I suggest you get whatever makes most secure.

By the way, the Glock 19 is a compact. ;)

10. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

This I know. I am not suggesting it is a full-size pistol, just that it is sitting in the place of one. Meaning, my Glock 19 is a very poor substitute for the place it represents in my collection, that of full-powered, full-sized, full-calibered pistol.

For my position as it sits today, I have no room for a compact 9mm. I want .45 ACP AND in a full-size body. I'm thinking 5" barrel kind of thing. I've got my EDC pistol already.

As far as 8+1 being too few rounds, I suppose there is such a thing as a tactical reload, huh?

Smart-alec! ;)

11. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Or a New York reload. ;)

12. danf_fl

The gun itself does not make a shooter. What people call a "cheap" 1911a1 can be a good weapon in the hands of a good shooter, but the world's best 1911a1 is nothing in the hands of a poor shooter.

Almost any smith can work on a 1911, but (in my area) few can work on plastic (think SHTF).

13. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

I'm about to make the same jump...my first .45acp, which will come in one of two formats: XDm or 1911. I've never owned any 1911 or polymer pistol.

I've already picked up a few hundred rounds of 230gr and some Hornady JHPs, so I'm pretty well committed. I'll probably go gun shopping in the next couple days.

What type of prices are people seeing in local gun stores for the XDm45? Around here I've seen the two-tones going for around $750 (w/o night sights), which seems a little steep. That may push me toward a 1911.

FWIW Chris, "if" you like the way it handles, I don't think there's anything wrong with a G19 as primary utility pistol. But there's nothing wrong with the ones I've already got either...I just want variety I guess.

14. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

This thread has made me think a bit. My EDC is a Kahr PM9, which is a single-stack. I absolutely love shooting it. It even feels like it has LESS recoil than than G19, which seems to surprise me a bit. I think some of its design would lead my hands to be able to immediately adjust to the 1911. I actually really like how my right thumb comes around straight on a single stack. Whereas on my G19, it has to make an unnatural twist to come around the side.

Without rehashing this next question on this thread, since it is dealt with ad nauseam elsewhere, what threads are y'all's favorites as far as:

What are the best 1911's around $600-$700?

Maybe someone could post some links to their favorite FTF threads around recommendations.

Thanks!

15. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

By the way, I am also noticing the huge amount of extended mags available for 1911. Even if one carries holstered with a 7-rounder, one could easily carry 2 10-round mags on one's belt. And a day that one needs more than 28 rounds is a very bad day, indeed.

16. danf_fl

When you look on the auction sites, you will find numerous 1911a1's in your price range. I am hesitant to go and give you name brands. Each has their followers (like Cane and his Colts, me and Dan Wesson or Ed Brown).
    If 25 rounds (8+1 in gun, 2 - 8 round mags carried) is not enough, then maybe it is a situation that a handgun would be of little use.
    Even with a "hi-cap" extra mags should be carried. That is the part that will stop a semi-auto cold if it doesn't work correctly.

17. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

18. General_lee

General_lee New Member

In the $600 to $700 range, I think a Springfield Mil-spec or Rock Island tactical would be just the ticket.

The Springer Mil spec has the nice, sexy, no palm swell bump feel of the GI, but has much better sights, while the RIA has all the bells and whistles.

19. canebrake

canebrake New Member

"Don't buy a 1911"??????? NO NO NO NO I didn'!

M1911A1

[​IMG]

- VS - this!

[​IMG]

..................Capisce?

20. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

Exactly my point, Cane. I know you specified no M1911A1, because its sights (which are fixed from the factory) tend to go bad with age. Have I got this right?

So are you just making the suggestion of sticking with adjustable sights or is there more substance to the distinction that you are making? What else should I be looking for that isn't a part of the most standard, government-type-issued M1911A1?

Thanks for coming back to this one!