FBI Uses Chainsaw In Raid On Wrong Fitchburg Apartment

Discussion in 'Training & Safety' started by Overkill0084, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

For the purpose of this thread, I'd like to avoid the politics of this issue. My biggest issue is safety of me & mine.
    I worry about this because of the potential for loss of life and the deep legal hole that one could be dropped into should you shoot before the LE identify themselves. Theoretically, in some locations, one could shoot through the door legally. Maybe not the best of ideas, but theoretically not illegal.
    I don't understand how this sort of thing continues to happen. Seems to me that one of the first things one should do before kicking in a door, would be to verify the correct address.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2012/01/31/fbi-uses-chainsaw-in-raid-on-wrong-fitchburg-apartment/

Thoughts?

2. orangello

orangello New Member

Personally, I prefer a good double-bladed axe over the chainsaw for gaining entry. Always wanted a old-school fireman's axe.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

edit* Seriously though, I think this guy did the right thing given similar circumstances. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corey_Maye

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012

3. trip286

trip286 New Member

That's just great. If it were me, I'd have been shot dead for opening fire, my family probably wouldn't even be able to sue, and the anti gun crowd would be screaming for more gun control. Chicago, anyone?

While at the same time, the anti gun crowd would also be dragging my name through the mud as a vigilante, murderer, anti social, militia, racist, redneck, freak.

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

Thats actually happened with those insane no knock warrants. Homeowners have been shot for shooting at cops who were in those crazy burgler ski masks in black gestapo uniforms breaking down the wrong door serving no knock warrants.

My take is the issuing judge should be brought up on charges for even granting such a warrant. Its irresponsible.

5. orangello

orangello New Member

Can somebody explain to me the purpose of those uniforms, because i have wondered about that before. Were i a LEO about to go through a door, i would want to be smurfy freakin blue all over with my badge at center mass and the stereotypical flat-topped uniform hat glued to my helmet for easier identification.

I'm not trying to be a dick here; i want to know the logic. It doesn't seem like they are trying to camoflage and blend in to the background. When they get the correct door and are bursting in on a meth cook or something, does being dressed like a ninja make the tweekers less likely to mount a defense? Now, if they came in with ice cream man uniforms on over vests, i could understand, maybe as postmen or utility workers. :confused:

6. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Black is slimming. Really, black makes you look more imposing. The "fear factor" is at play here. SWAT teams across the country are abandoning the black and going with more inncouous colors. Our teams have gone to OD. It blends in better and avoids that "ninja" stigma.

No knock warrants are the huge exception. Every warrant service requires a detailed Threat Assessment be done. It drives my Patrol guys nuts that I make them do one for every warrant service they want to attempt. It is CYA. They start to understand the complexities of the situation when they do the assessment themselves. There has to be specific articulable facts presented to justify a no knock warrant. Just because the BG will likely destroy evidence is not good enough. Of course he will destroy evidence, that's what they do.

7. orangello

orangello New Member

I knew it was fashion related! :p

But seriously, i have heard sooo many stories about the trailer raids when the Sheriff turns off the water or makes his least favorite deputy pull the drain hose to prevent flushing. I wouldn't want that job.

8. Belltactical

Belltactical New Member

The rationale is that it's a psychological advantage. When you kick in the door, you want to look scary. The thinking is that this provides an advantage in the takedown. I could be wrong but I believe it goes back to LAPD SWAT when they re-vamped their pp&w back in the early 80's withe the loving advice and assistance from the FBI HRT.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  9. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

10. trip286

trip286 New Member

Looks like it would be much quicker handling than a standard chainsaw.

11. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

Not to get off topic here or anything but seeing as me and orangello are fellow memphians,just a quick little story... Me and a couple buddies of mine hopped the fence with a couple of our newly found stripper friends late one night over at the abandoned hospital next door to the metal museum here in Memphis. (Girls wanted to go,it was supposed to be haunted and it was Halloween weekend) needless to say it was when we were a little younger and much dumber. Anywho we found a old firemans axe just like that and a sledge hammer as well,Me and my best friend rock-paper-scissored for the axe and I lost.

On the subject of no-knock warrants though,I always wondered if there were any documented cases of someone shooting before police identified theirselves and what became of it if they lived.

12. Belltactical

Belltactical New Member

Still don't get the whole chainsaw thing. I've never seen a door not go down with a ram hit.

13. trip286

trip286 New Member

Or even just a good solid heel kick right next to the door knob.

14. downsouth

downsouth New Member

I know our local fire dept uses a special chain.

Somebody needs to pay for that "incident" with their job.

If they can get the address wrong, just think what these goobers do with an investigation.

Not trying to bash cops here but this happens all too often. I just don't see how trained professionals fubar what pizza delivery guys do, more than likely stoned. ( Get the right address) should be a no brainer, appearently not.

15. trip286

trip286 New Member

Oh I know our pizza guys are high. Hell I can smell it over the smell of the pizza.

16. downsouth

downsouth New Member

Jumping fences with "new stripper friends"? Some how I missed that story until now.

17. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

Well at the time they were actually old friends that we went to school with,but we had been reaquianted with them that night and they happened to be strippers.

Don't judge me dad,I remember some of he stories you and your childhood friends talk about when theyre in town.

18. downsouth

downsouth New Member

And they get the pizza to the right door.

This subject matter really pisses me off. I bet I do a search and could fill a page or more with these incidents.

Hell I know of two more on the top of my head. Grandmother killed by cops who kicked in the wrong door. She had her pistol.
    Then a mayor in pa. house was busted into by the sheriffs, his dogs shot and family traumatized. Mistake oops

19. downsouth

downsouth New Member

Ok it's a push. Extortion is effective

20. trip286

trip286 New Member

Okay, I can see a mix up in an apartment building (inexcusable for the FBI during the culmination of a 2 year investigation), but how the hell do you mistake the mayor's house?