FBI says 9mm

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Threetango, Oct 8, 2014.

1. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Buy a case while 9mm is cheap. Sign up for email notifications from places that sell cheap, usable ammo. Find a free shipping deal and get a case of 9mm ammo on your doorstep for $200.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
  2. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

The last ammo shortage included 9mm. At least everywhere I looked. I bought a .40, because I could still buy ammo at near pre-shortage prices. $20 for .40, while shops were charging $25-$30 for a box of 9mm if you could find it.

Better chance of a surplus if the manufacturers have a priority for making it.

Good news is other LE agencies still use .40 and it could mean some temporary overruns of .40 ammo, and some .40 cal LE trade in guns hitting the market.

3. ironmike0311

ironmike0311 New Member

part of the last shortage was certain gov entities stockpiling massive amounts of 9mm

sounds like conspiracy hokum but the purchase orders don't lie

4. Quentin

Quentin Active Member

I too was glad I had 40S&W during the ammo shortage as there was plenty of it on the shelves. Having multiple calibers that are acceptable, like 9mm, 40S&W and 45ACP is an advantage during a panic.

It does sound like a lot of Glock 22 LE trade ins will turn up soon!

5. LikeABoss

LikeABoss Member Lifetime Supporter

But in that shoot out the BGs were shooting at agents with a mini 14 which shoots .223 or 5.56mm which are not quite 1/2 of a 9mm therefore the answer to this is to go down to .22's and save tax payers billions in target practice and save a lot of BG's lives because we just want to stop them we don't want to kill them, otherwise, who is going to pick up all the trash on the highways, I got this from here guys you can go to bed now.

6. TankTop

TankTop Well-Known Member Supporter

They may be heading back to 9mm but they have also upgraded to a semi auto rifle in the car.

7. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

A smart man doesn't go to a possible gunfight with a pistol. Rifle, shotgun, Hi Point carbine, anything beside a pistol.

8. Balota

Balota ... but I used to play keyboards. Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

A smart man doesn't go to a possible gunfight, period. He avoids it. But if he finds himself confronted with a gunfight, he's more likely to have a pistol than a long gun. Just sayin'

9. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

We are discussing the needs of the FBI, not self defense. The FBI seldom makes traffic stops. They should know who they are dealing with. The FBI goes to gunfights, it is part of the job description. If an FBI agent ends up in a gunfight using a pistol someone dropped the ball. The FBI is free to use short barrel rifles that are easy to conceal for short periods of time.

10. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

They are just now upgrading to semi autos rifles for trunk guns? I'm either very skeptical or flabbergasted they waited this long. Sheesh, I know a small town (two stoplights) police dept that upgraded their marlin camp 9s to AR 15s years ago.

11. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

The FBI had had M-4s., M-16s and HK MP-5s available for 30 years of more.

12. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

I certainly hope so.

13. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

You guys mean to tell mean that nearly every para-military dept. from FDA to IRS to BLM that has been militarized by our current politicians, that the FBI, one of the few organizations that can take down federal office holders have been left behind in the up-arming? I AM SHOCKED!:NOT:

14. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Can't we keep politics out of the ammo forum?:(

15. Vasa1628

Vasa1628 New Member

Easy to say,but politicians are sticking their noses into subjects they are not knowledge about.They are also not to be trusted.vasa1628

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

16. jsr5

jsr5 New Member

The Department I worked for (teeny tiny) had a couple glocks to issue if an officer did not have an acceptable sidearm of their own. Other than that officers were allowed to carry whatever they PREFFERRED and of course could qualify with. That seems to be the answer to me. FBI and others should buy some glocks and some lady smiths for issue then make it known that an agent can carry whatever they want to buy in such and such range of calibers. I think you would find overall proficiency with the side arms would improve. As for caliber that too should be a choice as they all work about equal really whether they chose 9mm, 10mm, 40, 45, 357 or 38+p they will be adequately armed and can hopefully make it to the long arm they should have available. And the gripe over ammo supply issues is really pretty weak esp with modern computer spread sheets etc. An officer should not be forced to carry a sidearm he has less than full confidence in. JMHO.

I too stand among the crowd that always had faith in the 9mm and is what I carried whan I could choose what I wished up to and including the 41 mag down to the 38 or 9mm. I also provided my own shotgun and an ar15 I was in a rural dept and if the SHTF it would be a while before any help came my way. Never fired a shot except on the range but if needed I was well supplied and was quite comfortable with my Beretta.

17. CaptMidnight

CaptMidnight New Member Supporter

I expect the 9MM like all government purchase included someone's Brother in Law. Next year some one's uncle will have a deal on .32 ACPS and it will become the best cartridge in the FBI arsenal. :D

18. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

There is science behind the FBI decision to go to the 9mm. I am strong enough to shoot a 40. But I do not shoot a 40 as fast a 9mm. I can shoot a 40 for much less than a 45 but not as cheap as a 9mm.

Some police departments for one reason or another claim it is still taking them 6 to 8 months to get ammo orders filled. I can get pretty good prices on ammo and expect delivery in a week. These same vendors give a 20 to30% discount to law enforcement. I am getting SD ammo for half the cost places like Academy, Dicks and other big box stores charge. I can get ball ammo for 1/3 less than Walmart charges.

19. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

For big government like the FBI price is a big factor. They also have to train non-gun people to shoot well and have limited success. They spend millions of dollars in tens of thousands of rounds of ammunition per officer they can do it cheaper faster and easier with 9 mm and the ammunition is pretty darn effective these days

20. Catfish

Catfish Member

The debate is not over!!! I do not need 100 rounds of ammo to carry around. I carry a revolver and 1 speed loader. I do not need to put 20 rounds down range is 2 seconds ether. At close range first shot wins, and at longer I need enough ammo to get to cover and out of there. The chance of a CCW holder getting into a fire fight is small to none and carying a bunch of ammo in not for me. I have 2 main guns I cary. Most of the time it`s a PD 329 Smith, an air weight 44 mag. loaded with 44 SP loads. Number 2 is an air weight J frame Smith in 38 SP +p loads. I also believe that you should cary what you have the most confidence in.