FBI Investigating Death Of Man In Police Custody

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by alsaqr, May 26, 2020.

1. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member Supporter

Heard on the news that he'd been the subject of 26 complaints of excessive force and received disciplinary action twice.

2. Cinderocka1989

Cinderocka1989 Well-Known Member Supporter

I heard today that the individual shot was a looter, the pawn shop owner who shot him was arrested.

Minnesota does not have a stand your ground law, I don't think they have a castle doctrine, the individual who was shot was outside the pawn shop. Apparently the use of lethal force when your life is not in danger is illegal, unless you're a cop.

ellis36 and towboater like this.

3. Nmwabbit

Nmwabbit Well-Known Member

alas a rose by any other name is, fortunately still a rose:

609.06 AUTHORIZED USE OF FORCE.
    §Subdivision 1.When authorized. Except as otherwise provided in subdivision 2, reasonable force may be used upon or toward the person of another without the other's consent when the following circumstances exist or the actor reasonably believes them to exist:
    4) when used by any person in lawful possession of real or personal property, or by another assisting the person in lawful possession, in resisting a trespass upon or other unlawful interference with such property;

609.065 JUSTIFIABLE TAKING OF LIFE.
    The intentional taking of the life of another is not authorized by section 609.06, except when necessary in resisting or preventing an offense which the actor reasonably believes exposes the actor or another to great bodily harm or death, or preventing the commission of a felony in the actor's place of abode.

4. freefall

freefall Well-Known Member

What's with you and the alas everything? Read another book!

Mercator likes this.
  5. Mercator

Mercator Well-Known Member

Why not, he doesn’t live in Minneapolis.

This thread is not about one dead thug anymore, is it.

6. Nmwabbit

about a dead thug...really?

as for not living in Minneapolis...
    mercator, et al., what we are watching there; in KY over the botched LE no-knock killing of the EMT; the discrediting of the FBI, ad nauseam, unfolding is going to be a significant game changer across this country's perception of law enforcement QI/policy/tactics/dealing with the country's citizens!

the costs expended on national guard, LE, property destruction, and toll on human life -- all before the first LE has had their day in court is going to be astronomical in an already devastated economic period from the virus generated world recession!

these spreading civil disturbances --
    quote: There have also been demonstrations in other US cities, including New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Columbus, Seattle, Denver, Phoenix and Memphis. unquote.

-- could very well play out into coup d'etats: 2013 Egypt's Mubarak - 11 days, 1978 Iran's Shah Raza Pahlavi 3 months, or what again is transpiring right now in 2020 Hong Kong!

your right mercator i don't live in Minneapolis...

Last edited: May 29, 2020
  7. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

Roger that. The key word in your response is MISTAKE! We in LE are not perfect and we make mistakes. This was a very LARGE person they were controlling. I, AND NONE OF YOU, HAVE ENOUGH FACTS TO MAKE A FAIR CALL ON HOW THIS SHOULD PLAY OUT! Not to mention, if the person who died had of been white we would not even be talking about it. THIS NATION IS FUBAR!!!:(

Mercator likes this.
  8. Nmwabbit

as they say...a picture is worth a 1000 words...both videos are more than enough information.

fair call JimRau...tell that to Mr. Floyd or Ms Levinsohn or the others who suffered or died from recent LE "MISTAKES" !

Ghost1958 likes this.
  9. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

Roger that. There was no 'intent' by the LEO's to kill or injure anyone when this person was arrested. It was a mistake and they, the LEO's, should be held accountable for a 'mistake'. But that will not happen becasue they will be 'thrown under the bus' for political reasons simply becasue the person who died was black. This is a sad state of affairs. BUT THE REAL CRIMINALS WHO ARE LOOTING AND BURNING WILL GET AWAY WITH IT!! This country is FUBAR!!!:(

Last edited: May 29, 2020
  10. Cinderocka1989

Cinderocka1989 Well-Known Member Supporter

I should clarify, I don't think what he did was wrong. I hope he isn't charged, and if he is a jury does not convict him. But Minneapolis/saint Paul is the reason Minnesota is a blue state.

11. Mercator

To them it’s a welcome excuse to steal and destroy someone’s property.
    They know how the local LE gets paralyzed after a fatal incident. When the cops start shooting the SOB’s the riots WILL grow smaller. (Which looks like never, right now)

TimKS, towboater and JimRau like this.
  12. Ghost1958

Ghost1958 Well-Known Member

Yeah we have plenty of facts . All that's needed to know the officers in question should be prosecuted.

Doesnt matter what happened before. Multiple officers had the man handcuffed on the ground. Subdued.
    Officer sits with knee on the deceased neck for 9 minutes. If you were ever LE you know there is no defense for that action by the officer . Your better than that.

Doesnt matter what color anyone involved was. This was negligent homicide on video by a police officer with a history of complaints of excessive force.

Not to mention it's not even sure this man was who the 911 caller was talking about.
    If you read the 911 transcript the caller was ecen confused if the subject was a male, or female.

Trying to defend glaring officer misdeeds by other active and retired Leo's doesnt do anything but further damage LE credibility.

manta and alsaqr like this.
  13. Ghost1958

Ghost1958 Well-Known Member

They probably should have in that case though. Not rioted and looted but gathered in mass at the city building and demanded action instead of allowing that officer to go almost a year before making a statement.

G66enigma and towboater like this.
  14. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

The former cop has been arrested:

"MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — Fired Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin has been arrested days after George Floyd’s fatal arrest that sparked protests and outcry across the city and nation.

On Friday, John Harrington, commissioner of the Minnesota Department of Public Safety, announced that Chauvin has been taken into custody in connection with the May 25 death.

Chauvin is the former officer in the video seen around the world with his knee on Floyd’s neck. He’d been with Minneapolis police for 19 years."

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2020...en-taken-into-custody-in-george-floyds-death/

primer1 and Ghost1958 like this.
  15. ellis36

ellis36 Well-Known Member Supporter

FTA...."...The other officers involved were identified as Tou Thao, Thomas Lane and J Alexander Kueng, both with the department for fewer than three years...."

The old-timer was showing the youngsters how it's done in Minneapolis?
    You can bet they didn't dare interrupt or stop it or they would have been
    ostracized by their fellow officers.

ellis

Ghost1958 and alsaqr like this.
  16. TelstaR

TelstaR Active Member

Look.. use of force is never pretty. I would wait until the full and complete coroner's report is released before I speculate about what may have caused his death or who is responsible.

It would be hard to point to a forced restraining method that does not come with risk. Certainly some methods have more risk than others. I have some questions about what I have seen in the video and whether or not the methods and duration of force was necessary for the length of time we see on the video. I also have some question to whether or not efforts were taken to mitigate injury and whether or not someone was monitoring the arrestee.

I am familiar with the dangers of restraint hypoxia. That said, I am skeptical that this is what happened. It is certainly possible and the investigation will undoubtedly bear it out if that is the case. Right now I think far too many people are jumping to conclusions that are not yet qualified or proven. I would think that if this were a case of some form of hypoxia, we would know by now. Perhaps the determinations are simply being reviewed by another entity before the results of released, I don't know.

I will wait on the full report

JimRau likes this.
  17. Mercator

I think it was her hysterical and aggressive behavior, the kind women get commended for and regarded as “assertive” by progressives.
    Not that she deserved to die, only that she challenged the cops and forced a tragic error. I don’t care who was white or black.

18. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

When a precinct/division station is burned, are not records and physical evidence destroyed as well ? Not only the Floda case but perhaps hundreds of other cases as well. Abandoning the station to criminals was more than allowing thieves to loot a Target store. Bad plan.

Ghost1958 and ellis36 like this.
  19. TelstaR

TelstaR Active Member

most use of force complaints against police are unfounded. Saying the he was disciplined twice doesn't really say much unless we know the specific violation and the surrounding context. 2-10 or 20 complaints doesn't really mean anything in a of itself.

primer1 likes this.