Faxon Firearms

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by CMAB2SA, Oct 25, 2020.

1. CMAB2SA

CMAB2SA Well-Known Member

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
  2. schnuffleupagus

schnuffleupagus Well-Known Member

PANDEMIC and Rifling82 like this.

3. TankTop

TankTop Well-Known Member Supporter

Faxon is great stuff. If you want a lightweight AR Faxon is tough to beat for the money. If you want a quality AR platform gun that doesn’t break the bank or to build your own they are a great place to start.

The facts of AR’s is that if you get average mil spec parts you can build your first AR on the kitchen table with the wrong tools, poor lighting and a couple YouTube videos in about an hour. That includes 35 minutes trying to find a spring you launched across the room.

4. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

On my property 50/60 yards max so I went the AK route, I bought 4000 rds. for cheap and giving my age will not be launching any off site deployments. I try to maintain a healthy supply of >22LR., .380, 9mm, .38 spc .45 acp, 460 Rowland, .22-250. 30-06, 12 gauge

CMAB2SA likes this.
  5. Bigcat

Bigcat Well-Known Member

Their barrels have a good reputation and are often bought by folks for builds.

Since the barrel is the hardest part of an AR to make well, I imagine the rest of their parts are GTG as well.

CMAB2SA and PANDEMIC like this.
  6. CMAB2SA

CMAB2SA Well-Known Member

Most excellent response. Thank you!!

I am more of the type to buy a good basic platform and just shoot it.

I been eyeing the Ruger Ar556. The one that is in the 600 to 700 dollar range. I don't believe it has the chrome lined barrel.

I'm thinking at most I'd probably shoot it a couple times a month.

For looks I am more into the M16 looking style.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
  7. TankTop

I hate to rattle off a whole bunch of vendors that are great but unfortunately I must steer you away from the Ruger AR 556. It has some proprietary parts that are not compatible with other AR15s which is the whole point of the platform.

BCM
    LMT
    Sionics
    Sons of Liberty gun works
    Colt
    Rock River Arms
    Spikes Tactical

That’s a good start and should keep you busy trying to find one but there are tons more great companies out there. Ruger is not a bad company they just chose to do some weird stuff with their AR

CMAB2SA likes this.
  8. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

What exactly is proprietary on a Ruger AR series. The piston SR series had some proprietary parts. But, then all the various manufacturers piston guns have a proprietary gas system.

I am unaware of anything on a Ruger AR series rifles that doesn’t interchange with just about every other AR. They may have some proprietary parts. But so far as I know if you take off that system, i.e. their hand guard any other hand guard will work in it’s place.

9. TankTop

there are some issues with firing pin replacement and an older style bolt. Basically just replace the entire BCG instead of just firing pin to avoid malfunction. So yes, parts are interchangeable you just need to replace the entire BCG and or barrel and barrel nut.

Point is why make those silly changes unless there is a clear improvement which there is not. The possibility of a standard firing pin causing a malfunction is to me a silly design change.