Favorite Western film or novel?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Jedi Knight, Dec 18, 2008.

1. Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight New Member

I've never had much interest in Westerns, but a few nights ago I saw a commercial for the film "Jeremiah Johnson". It looked interesting. Just wondering if anyone out there is into Westerns (films or books), and if so, which would you recommend?

Thanks!

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Probably a tossup between Tombstone, Open Range, True Grit, Quigley Down Under and Dances with Wolves. Lonesome Dove for Western mini-series.

3. right winger

right winger New Member

Favorite Westerns

My choices also.

4. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

You sir, are obviously a connoisseur of Westerns and a brilliant man. :cool:

5. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

"Open Range", "Tombstone", and "Silverado".

6. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Any of "The Mountain Man" series by William W. Johnstone, Any of the Louis L'Amour westerns.

Movies - The Cowboys, The Shootist, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Silverado, The Good, The Bad and the Ugly, Jeremiah Johnson, Quigly Down Under, The Unforgiven, Tombstone (Val Kilmer as Doc Holiday), The Outlaw Josey Wales, Pale Rider, The Mountain Men (Charlton Heston).

7. gregs887

gregs887 New Member

No love for Unforgiven?

8. freefall

freefall New Member

Unforgiven with Clint and Morgan Freeman. Hands down best western of all time. Silverado is fun, The Mountain Men is great, The Culpepper Cattle Company is pretty good.

9. freefall

freefall New Member

oh yeah, The Good,The Bad and The Ugly is second best western all time.

10. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The Outlaw Josie Wales. Gotta love Clint.

11. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

3 of my favorites right there.

I thought Open Range was MUCH better than people gave it credit for. I might need to watch that again this weekend. I really enjoyed that movie...

12. Bob Wright

Bob Wright Member

The Searchers is among my all time favorites. And Bad Bascomb and Hondo are among my favorites. Oh, yeah, Red River.

Bob Wright

13. 1861

1861 New Member

OUTLAW JOSEY WELLES , HIGH NOON , & ALAMO with JOHN WAYNE

14. chopkick

chopkick New Member

Tombstone, Josey Wales, High Plains Drifter, The Good, Bad and Ugly, The Alamo, The Cowboys and Son's of Katie Elder.:D

15. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Thanks, you made me remember my favorite John Wayne movie...Big Jake!

Richard Boone - "I thought you was dead?"
    John Wayne - "Not hardley!"

16. freefall

freefall New Member

whoa. Totally forgot The Cowboys! Gives The Good,etc serious competition for 2nd best all time.

17. Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight New Member

Hey - thanks to all for the responses so far.

Another question, if I may:

Has anyone ever seen "Back to the Future Part 2"? The reason I'm asking is because there's a scene in the movie where Biff is watching a western film on TV. The western shows a character - I believe it was played by Clint Eastwood - getting shot, and then revealing a metal plate underneath his duster that he used as bulletproof vest. Does anyone know what movie this is? I could probably figure it out if I looked hard enough online, but, meh, I'd rather just continue the thread a bit :)

18. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

I believe "A few Dollars More"? If I'm wrong I might have to change my avatar!!

19. chopkick

chopkick New Member

You sure it wasn't Pale Rider?

20. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

I'll watch it and report back!!:D I remember it was the one with the outlaw who uses a lever gun and always shoots for the heart!