Favorite Street Food

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by CA357, Nov 1, 2010.

1. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I think I'm hungry or something, food topics keep coming to me.

One of the best things about living in New York city as a kid was the street food. Sabrett's frankfurters, Knish wagons, Lemon Ice carts and pretzel carts and roasted chestnut carts in winter. I miss 'em all.

Are there street foods in other parts of the Country and if so, what are they?

2. Glasshartt

Glasshartt New Member

Taco and burrito wagons are all over here.

3. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Tacos, especially carnitas tacos. The first I had were at a little gas station-turned-convenience store in Huntington Beach, CA when I lived there. Simple but sublime.

4. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

The best are the tacos al carbon and the bacon wrapped hot dogs.

5. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

The street cart pizza and hotdogs when I was in Chi-Town were AWESOME! I think I was eating every block... LOL

I have yet to make it to NYC though. The woman wants to attend a home Yankee game perhaps next season. I will be going for the street food. I have heard all the stories and much find out for myself. :p

Stop with the threads CA357 - I am tryng to work out and lose weight here jerk. :cool::)

JD

6. CA357

Yeah, we have taco carts and that stuff, but you can't get a dirty water dog to save your life out here, let alone that killer red onion topping.

7. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Working down next to NYU we got all sorts of food carts - Chinese food cart, Gyro food cart, Hot Dog cart, Breakfast sandwich cart and of course the pretzel cart.

I'd take any one of em' before a fast food joint in NYC. ;)

8. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Dog, do they have a fed ex nearby?? My woman would kill for a NYC authentic cart dog.

And a pretzel cart??? This sounds AWESOME. :D

9. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

+1..when I worked in downtown Philly the food from the carts was better than any fast food joint. I am still amazed at some of the things that can be cooked in a cart small enough to tow home at the end of the day...but my weakness remains...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  10. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I spent a week in NYC when my daughter graduated from law school - while I'd never want to live there myself - the food is incredible. The carts are awesome and every corner grocery store has a specialty deli in it. I'm already to damn fat and thankfully I wasn't there long.

And yes, the real brick oven pizza is so damn good it probably illegal in many states...

11. CA357

Please don't get me started on New York pizza. :eek:

12. Bigdog57

Bigdog57 New Member

Here in the Deep South they just never developed the 'street food' like up Nawth. It's a Yankee thing, apparently.
    In my Navy Daze in Great Mistakes, we sailors lived on 'truck food'. The 1MC in the baracks would blare out, "Roach coach is on the approach!" and fifty hungry young squids would pile out to grab the 'fried dead bird' or the pizza burritos! I really loved those pizza burritos!
    If Nagles would have delivered on base, they'd have been a hit too.

But down here, many street corners do have BBQ and grilled meat carts, usually set up in a store parking lot. Love the smell of that meat, but I rarely stop. I like to know the guy cooking the meat I eat!

13. jca1

jca1 New Member

I thought this was going to be about road kill.

14. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

You would love Mulberry Street in Encino. Best pie this side of NYC. Come on down and dinner is on me. Then we hit Carneys for dirty dogs....

15. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Man, I don't wanna be around you guys a couple hours later.

16. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Assuming you want to be around us earlier......:D

17. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Great story.

18. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Hot dog, mustard only......unless they have Coney sauce!:D

19. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

All we really have around here is hot dogs, just hot dogs.

20. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Got one right across the street ;)