Favorite rifle?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by molonlabexx, Apr 19, 2013.

1. molonlabexx

molonlabexx New Member

What is your favorite rifle? How is the recoil? Is it cheap. I guess I will start with mine, I love my mosin. Very fun to shoot, recoil is "so-so" and it is fun to take apart and clean. And best of all, it is from mother russia. I also like the history of them, knowing that my rifle shaped the future of the world forever. I also like the ruger 10/22. I have only put 100 rounds through my new one though. Can't wait for the summer where I can shoot all I want. Any, cheers and looking forward to see your posts!

2. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

My favorite rifle is my Winchester Model 94 30-30. I have had it for 40 years. I am also pretty fond of my NM M1A but there is something really special about my Model 94.

3. molonlabexx

molonlabexx New Member

Looks beautiful. 30-30 is a great hunting caliber.

4. bigjim

bigjim New Member

What is my favorite rifle?

"ALL OF THEM"

Jim

5. bamashooter68

bamashooter68 Member

My favorite is a Remington made 1903a3. It has a Birdseye Maple stock, drilled and tapped and topped with a Burris FFII scope. With my 155gr handloads it shoots 3/4 inch groups. Its one of many but I suppose my favorite right now.

6. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

If it has a trigger, sights or scope I love all mine. Different rifles serve different purposes, they are tools. I think the 91/30 is a fun rifle and find the recoil rather mild. I admit, I have always been a recoil junkie. It makes me feel alive. Love the smell of burnt powder, even com-blok stuff. Hand me any rifle and I'll shoot it. I may have my commercail 8x57 Husqvarna rebarreled to 9.3x62 soon. The rifling is getting thin, but for now it shoots fine. It is a 1955 Husqvarna 640, 1947 FN '98 receiver.

7. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

The one I'm most emotionally attached to is a Mauser 95 that was handed down to me from my grandparents. My grandfather sporterized it, and my grandmother used it to harvest deer each year to suplement the winter meat for the family.

From a financial value standpoint, it's not worth a lot, but from the standpoint of a family heirloom it seems priceless.

My favorite for shooting would be my AR.

Favorite for hunting would depend on what is being hunted.

8. stratrider

stratrider New Member

I've only had my nugget for a short time but it sure is growing on me. I might be waving the Mosin flag before long. I think it's gotta be at least a candidate for "Best Hog Gun" especially given the steel ammo and bayonet :D Here's mine:
    [​IMG]

9. molonlabexx

molonlabexx New Member

Yeah the bayonet is as big as your leg. If the nagant doesn't intimidate you, then you got some balls.

10. cottontop

cottontop Guest

Trying to separate your favorite from all you own is like trying to pick your favorite child. You love them all equally and each one has its own special quirks that endears it to your heart.
    ct

11. molonlabexx

molonlabexx New Member

I agree. It is hard and each DOES have a special purpose.

12. TLuker

TLuker Active Member

Well said!!! :)

There are so many guns that I like and would love to have, but there has to be a limit. :(

I eventually created a list of what thought the best gun is in each category such as bolt action battle rifle, battle rifle, bolt action hunting rifle, and so on. I've got quite a few left to buy off the list but that is my limit. Once I cross off each from the list I will be done buying firearms, unless they come out with a new gun that warrants creating a new category.

13. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i have many and i like each of them for different reasons. i am more partial to my bolt actions and they do comprise the bulk of my rifle collection.

i love my Remington M700's and have several in different calibers. i have probably owned more of these over the years than any other make and type of rifle. i like how such a simple design is such a proven performer for so many years.

my next favorites are my Marlin X7's. started buy these a few years ago and they are definately growing on me. inexpensive, accurate and well made. damn good combination for sure.

though i only currently have one right now, the older tang safety Ruger M77 have been a favorite for many years now. i have owned several over the years, and would own more of them if i could find them. they seem to be somewhat scarce in my neck of the woods. fantastic rifles, excellent accuracy, very beautiful rifles as well, but definately not cheap either. i can usually buy two decent used M700's for what one M77 goes for when i do find one.

14. therewolf

therewolf New Member

That's a tough call.

Right now I'd say it's my 1903, with my SKS & M44 tied for second...

15. TLuker

TLuker Active Member

That's why I put the M700 at the top of my list for "best bolt action hunting rifle"! :)

16. donthav1

donthav1 Active Member

as far as rifles go it's easier for me to pick since I only have a few.

favorite rimfire is my Winchester 74 22LR that my grandpa gave me. a 70 year old semi-auto 22 that is accurate & it still functions perfect? can't ask for better than that.

favorite centerfire is my Savage Axis .223. cheap to buy & cheap to shoot but groups as good as much more expensive rifles. Savage really did something right with those guns

17. Donn

Donn Active Member

I like every one currently in the safe, that said, my temporary favorite is usually the latest acquisition. That would be my M1 Garand.

18. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

That is a tough call........

Untill I get my IH Garand, it would be my M1903 with the M1917 in a close second.... :)

19. therewolf

therewolf New Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I don't think that Garand will disappoint you.

30.06 in semi is a rush.

Kind of a "BOO-YAH! Let's Rock!" type of thing.

20. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

I lucked up and bought a great SVT-40 dirt cheap. That is certainly one of my favorites.