Favorite platform

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by SigArmored, Oct 20, 2013.

1. SigArmored

SigArmored New Member

What would be you're favorite platform to build off of and what caliber would you build it in if you had unlimited resources?

2. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

For a handgun? 1911 in 10mm

Do all the work yourself using Ed Brown specs, can't go wrong.

XS sights
    VZ grips
    Kimber mags

3. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

Getting ready to stir up some crap here but... Glock 21SF or a railed 1911, .45 of course. Both built the same, tall night sights and a threaded barrel to go with that suppressor.

I lean more towards the 1911 just because of the number of aftermarket possibilities, and the small grip size.

4. unclebear

unclebear New Member

I'm a revolver guy myself, I would use a taurus model 66 357 mag with a rail, a 7 inch barrel ported, and I would have a nice compact red dot on top most likely a bushnell.

One things I've really wanted to do is a mosin revolver in 38 special with adjustable high vis sights, a better grip and have in single action only. Why? I like the gun, I like how different it is but I prefer 38 special because I can get more of it then the gas seal ammo it suppose to use.

5. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

Good idea with the suppressor Sputnik...add that to mine.

6. txpossum

txpossum New Member

A 1911, of course, but I'd like to play around with the 10mm, as I don't have one.

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

Xdm in 7.62 tokarev

8. G30USMC

G30USMC New Member Supporter

9. Bob Wright

Bob Wright Member

Ruger Super Blackhawk frame. Maybe .38-40, 7 1/2" barrel

Or Ruger Flat Top (Mid-size) .357 Magnum, 7 1/2" barrel.

Bob Wright

10. GLI45

GLI45 New Member

I'd build off of an STI 2011 platform in .40 cal. A custom race gun for open division would be sweeeet!

11. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

1911 platform is by far my favorite one. as for caliber, my favorite in that platform has to be the 45, and simply because that is all i have ever had them in. but my next one that i would like to modify and build will be in 38 Super, built strictly a fun range and target pistol. not going to be as concerned with reliability, but more for accuracy. just something i have wanted to do for a long time.

12. Garadex

Garadex New Member

I like the one with a trigger and goes bang launching a projectile. (I haven't shot enough different guns to be able to choose a favorite)

13. AR10

AR10 New Member

Glock all the way. I prefer my Glock fully loaded in a Serpa II holster with an addition of a trigger block safety. Reading the site www.glockleg.com, one can't be to careful. Lol

While the chamber being empty, gives a simular result, it lowers the available rounds by 1, and is more difficult to present than removing the trigger block.

Recently became a Glock certified armorer, and I am more impressed with the male tupperware that goes boom, than ever. They are built wonderfully, and make very long lasting sidearms. I have a G20 that is in its third decade, not one complaint.

14. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

Favorite platform for WHAT!? I can't choose just ONE!!!

15. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

A 10mm 1911 would be pretty cool. Though I think I'd start on a Fusion frame. I don't much care for Kimber ;)

16. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

The only Kimber parts I would use would be their mags. They are the only 10mm 1911 mags I've used that are worth half a sh!t.

Not sure what frame/slide I would use. Hmm???

17. Texgunner

Texgunner New Member

1911 or S&W revolver.

18. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Since you say ".. to build off of." Mine would be the 1911.

I do like tinkering with Glocks, because the modular design makes them easy for some fun experimentation on my non-carry ones.

19. hq357

hq357 New Member

I would do an ar-15 pistol and buy a nice sling for it with an aimpoint sight and some magazine couplers and maybe a magpul angled foregrip so ittl still be legal and a 100 round beta mag ;)

20. Morgo

Morgo New Member

1911 in 9mm or .38 super. Would be a full race gun.

I also like glocks for their simplicity and wide variety of parts. Having multiple top ends and no issues on one frame is handy.