Favorite home defense round.

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by McCormick24, Sep 12, 2014.

1. McCormick24

McCormick24 New Member

Personally I like the Winchester PDX slug and buck shot combo with the 1oz slug and the 3 buckshot.

2. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

Glaser Blue Safety Slugs in either .357 or .44 Spl. depending on which gun I have. When I'm outside I usually have the first two chambers loaded with snake shot. Don't really need to shoot them but I like an excuse. Of course the only poisonous snake I have seen in the yard I dispatched with a piece of pipe.

3. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

12 Gauge 2&3/4 in. Max Load #4`s !..................

4. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

00 Buck, hands down.

5. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

And Don`t Say Bird Shot is No Good !..................
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gq3RVvL9ZjU[/ame]

6. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

What ever is under the hammer of the first gun I get my hands on!;)

7. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

Bird shot is great, FOR BIRDS!!! It will get you killed in a SD situation!:(
    The myth lives on!!!:(

8. rn-cindy

rn-cindy Active Member

The 12ga Mossy beside my bed..alternate 00, and HP slugs. My CC gun..9mm Hydrashok. The My nightstand gun, and another .45 stashed in an undisclosed location in the house, also Hydrashok...I know theres lots of good SD/HD ammo out there....Thats just what has proven itself to go bang every time in my guns.....

9. JonM

JonM Moderator

that idiot should be beaten with his own shotgun for perpetuating this incredibly dangerous and irresponsible advice on birdshot.

this is the result of "across the room" birdshot hit.

s468.photobucket.com/user/Browning35/media/Gunshot%20Wounds/Shotgun-back-1.jpg.html
    (cut and paste link on your own)

this is typical of the results of using this idiot's advice. it results in either the goblin running off which would happen in a pure miss or the the goblin beating your *** and killing you which would happen with a hit or miss.

loading with birdshot just ensures you will NOT stop an attacker. it is the exact same as using an unloaded firearm.

i use 9mm hornady critical duty in my m9A1, hotnady 150grain amax for 308, 62grain ss109 for 556, hornady critical defense for 45acp, buffalo bore 95grain fmj 1150fps for 380acp (pretty close to 9mm 115grain nato), 00buck shotgun, just whatever is available for the ak usually silver bear hp.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
  10. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

That looks moderately painful at best.

11. 25-5

25-5 New Member

870 w/00 + 1911 w/ black talon.

12. shadecorp

shadecorp Active Member Supporter

My bedside revolver, Glaser's, 44sp.
    My shotgun, #4 Buck.
    Do Not want to start a war on this subject,
    BUT,
    would one of the X perts
    Please tell me how a load of Bird Shot in the face WOULD NOT stop someone?
    Please.

13. 25-5

25-5 New Member

Center mass is not the face. Adrenalin pumped in the dark you want to do head shots with a shotgun?

14. McCormick24

McCormick24 New Member

I wish I could have a handgun for home defense to go along with the 12 gauge but I'm not 21 yet soo... You know how it is. I could see birdshot being used as a less lethal option to inflict pain and make the person second guess them self but I would be sure to have some buck shot or a slug to follow up with. However birdshot can have it's place in a defensive situation if paired with something more powerful behind it.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
  15. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

00 or #1 Federal Flite Control or Hornady 00 with Tite Wad (same shot cup design). Gives ultra tight patterns out of open chokes.

16. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

For the 12ga any 00 buck cartridge I can get my hands on works great. Not so easy with the 20 ga. We are using the 20 ga with 3-buck more often because we only need to have the one long gun out of the safe.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2014
  17. Fred_G

Fred_G Active Member

Yes Sir, that flite control is good stuff. :)

18. Fred_G

Fred_G Active Member

Why would you choose to load something that might work, over something that will work, in a SD situation? Do you shop for fire extinguishers that are half empty because they weigh less?

No offense meant, but use the tool that is proven to work, over the one that 'might' work.

19. RKB

RKB Active Member

This birdshot vs buckshot argument will likely never end. Neither side of this is going to convince the other side to change. Use what you are comfortable with - and pray that you never need it.