Favorite Gun Cleaning Chem?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Centerfire, May 25, 2010.

1. Centerfire

Centerfire New Member

Alright everyone, time for another poll...What is your favorite gun cleaning chemical and WHY?

We have heard some crazy answers to this question. Most were focused on how their's smells or looks, but I am interested in performance.

Lets hear it??

2. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Where is the poll???

I Really like Otis, smells like a coconut tanning oil covered chic at the beach!!
    It really cleans well.
    I also have been using FP10.
    Outers foam is great for the leading and copper.

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

i like hoppes and breakfree clp works well enough for me.

4. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

For general cleaning I like Hoppes #9.

For my SS barrels that don't get a bronze brush I use gunslick foaming bore cleaner and Hoppes Copper solvent.

5. ta1588

ta1588 New Member

Hoppes #9 always does the trick for me :)

6. Dzscubie

Dzscubie New Member

A few years ago I was at a Force Mod Conference for SWAT, SRT and Special Operation Groups and was introduced to a product called Gunzilla by the inventor Don Kettles. I have to say I don’t use anything else to clean my guns as this stuff is fantastic. I will use some Otis Dry lube after cleaning even thou Gunzilla does leave a light lubricant also. It is a little more expensive than an off the shelf cleaner but it is well worth it.

here is the web site - Gunzilla

7. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Shooters Choice bore solvent. Cuts the Copper, Lead and plastic fouling really well.

8. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

Hoppes #9 gets another vote on the poll that doesn't exist.

9. Missileman

Missileman New Member

Shooter's Choice bore solvent normally, Montana X-treme occasionally to really clean the copper out.

10. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I use Hoppe's Elite.

11. cbw

cbw New Member

Hoppes #9, Break Free, Slicker

12. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Personal preference, but I to use Gunzilla as well, and as Scubie has stated, it is a fantastic, natural cleaning solvent. It is a little more than Shooter's Choice, Hoppes #9 and Elite, which I all used before switching over, all have been used in the industry forever, they are readily available and are proven cleaning solvents.

It is indeed again personal preference, and to each his own and I think many use and stay with a proven product they started with. If a particular cleaning product works well for you and does what it supposed to do, efficiently and quickly, to your satisfaction, HOOAHH!

I tend to want to mix things up a bit when it comes to firearm maintenance and cleaning, and any cleaning solvent that shortens my cleaning time, provides superior metal protection, increases function-ability and extends my shooting time between cleanings, peaks my interest. Someone is always trying to invent a better mousetrap....sometimes they succeed. :)

Jack

13. Centerfire

Centerfire New Member

I have to be careful to not advertise here. I asked the question for marketing research. There are obviously a ton of options as to what chemicals to use when cleaning your firearms. The typical response we get when we ask questions like this typically have nothig to do with how the product performs, but has more to do with a personal story of how the smell of a product reminds them of the good ol days. Our marketing campaign to gun shops is simple: Try it, if you like it, buy it. If you don't like it, tell us, and if has anything to do with performance, we will do our best to fix it. We did get many responses that were associated with lack of smell, or not what Im used to using, but after discussing the importance of performance with todays advanced firearms, people usually come around.

The Try it and Buy it tactic seems to be working very well. It usually converts the shop owner into a salesman because he/she now believes in the product.

I appreciate all the info guys. I do agree, there are a lot of quality products on the market today. Some really do work well, and others rely on their high dollar marketing agendas.

14. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

Hopps #9 and Sweets 7.62 copper cleaner. Have to make sure to not leave Sweets it in too long and get it all out when done cleaning as it can eat into barrel over time.

15. Glasshartt

Glasshartt New Member

Gunzilla has a new product called Copperzilla. Haven't tried it yet, but received a couple samples at the expo earlier in the month.

16. yesicarry

yesicarry New Member

Hoppes #9. Been using it since 1975. Dad knew what he was talking about !

Wish they made a females perfume that smelled like it also !

17. sigp250

sigp250 New Member

I like Hoppe's Copper Solvent, somtimes. It smells like dead fish.

18. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Actually, I shoot mine until they get dirty, and then give them to my gun bearer to clean. What the blighter uses, I have no idea.

gun bearer.jpg

19. deathkricket

deathkricket New Member

20. Fisherking

Fisherking New Member

I have used "Gunzilla" and realy like it. DO NOT USE IT ON AN OLD RUST BLUED OR BROWNED RIFLE, it will remove the blueing. On hot blued guns no problem.
    Just a heads up
    F.K.