Favorite form of safety

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by BeyondTheBox, Apr 16, 2013.

1. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Be it thumb, long trigger, heavy trigger, half cock, decocked, condition 0, 1, 2, 3... What makes you feel safe with your carry gun? Is it as simple as just having a covered trigger guard?

Within that, where and how do you prefer it? Ambi? On slide, frame, forward of grip or back?

I like a 1911 style thumb, ambi. The lever itself matters little as long as it's got a good Ridge to catch easily with single swipe of thumb upward or down.

2. deadsp0t

deadsp0t New Member

^^ this and the fact I have control of it.

3. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I'm the safety followed by my holster covering the trigger.

4. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I like the 1911 setup for safeties.
    I don't care for the ambi.

The most important safety device of every firearm is the one between the ears.

5. deadsp0t

deadsp0t New Member

bazinga....!!!

6. 25-5

25-5 New Member

Other than the gray matter, I carry my Series 70 "cocked & locked". Low profile ambi safety's. The safety stays on until i have my off hand grip.
    From what I see at the range, this is not for most shooters. That's where revolvers and DA SA are applicable.

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

A good holster is my favorite external safety.

I realllllly like grip safeties.

I dislike manual thumb safeties with ambi capability or extended versions. The only acceptable thumb safeties to me are decockers on da's and the ones found on 1911's.

8. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Totally forgot about grip safeties, great point Jon, I too like those a lot, but only as their current purpose suits, as a back up to the thumb.

Still, thanks for pointing that one out.

9. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

And the one beginning at the knuckles.

10. eborden1122

eborden1122 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I like the decocker on my Sigs.

11. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

A longish, smooth trigger pull that must be deliberate. That is all. I like Sig having only a decocker. I like Glock for the long deliberate trigger pull that isn't horrendous. I like double action revolvers.

In a carry gun I like being able to draw, point and shoot.

12. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Glock, long trigger? You and I have extremely differing ideas on what long is.

But this is where to each their own comes into play.

13. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I like my 1911 ambi safety. That is the only safety I like. But I like a long heavy trigger like on a double action revolver. I have several guns with decockers. I chamber a round, decock and then activiate it so that I can simply pull the trigger for the first round. So I guess I am saying that I like a long trigger pull if it is not a 1911. I do not like any other type of safety. I will not carry a gun that is not ready to shoot. To me an auto without a round in the chamber is a poorly designed club.

14. Cattledog

Cattledog New Member

For single action I prefer a decocker, like on my p94. Other than that, Ive actually grown fond of just good 'ol DAO. But I don't like safeties in general. I think they can cause complacency and a lack of respect for a weapon. JMHO