Favorite EDC steel

Discussion in 'Other Weapons' started by JMAtactical, Aug 15, 2013.

1. JMAtactical

JMAtactical New Member

Now now before y'all roll your eyes and say wow man haven't we all seem this same kind of thread before let me out a spin on it... I don't want to know what steel you think is better because of its this and that level or percentage. I want to know I you had to choose one knife to use for everything ( prying, cutting, screwdriver, fire starter, SD or whatever what is the steel you trust to not let you down. Ill tell you straight up mine has to be 8cr13mov from spyderco

2. txpossum

txpossum New Member

First choice would be 52-100; second choice D2; third choice 440C.

3. Werminator

Werminator Member

14c28n as executed by Kershaw if cheap steels are the game... most of the knives in own are in the 8cr13mov or variations of AUS8 but the 14c28n has given me way better performance than any of the others... now higher end I like CPM S30V but its pricey enough I don't own anything with that blade steel...

4. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

Hey knife experts!! I'm looking at this knife as my EDC. It's just going to be a normal carry nothing special. My current knife is falling apart.:(

image-3424809131.jpg

5. JMAtactical

JMAtactical New Member

I don't know all the specs on this knife but ill tell you what I look for in an EDC blade. I like tip up carry, G10 scales with strong liner steel. I like lock back or liner lock but prefer liner and the steel must be tough. I dislike the harder steels as I use my knife for almost everything. 8cr13mov or AUS 8 is where I like to stay and I don't care what any of the steel snobs say lol. Make sure it's stainless steel and its easy to take apart as you will want to clean it once a month at least.

6. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

I don't know why the pic is blurry!!! The handle is Noryl GTX, blade steel is 440C, tip up carry, stainless steel liners, and ambi AXIS locking system.

7. SSGSF

SSGSF New Member

I carry 154cm it's a benchmade auto.
    I do not use any knife as a screwdriver or a prybar. I use the proper tool for the proper job. I use it for cutting and that's it.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
  8. SSGSF

SSGSF New Member

Yes that would be a fine knife for you to edc.

9. JMAtactical

JMAtactical New Member

That's a good EDC steel. And I always think to myself " what if I get into a situation where I need to pry and this knife is all I got. Or I simply want don't have any other tools on hand for a high priority task like for instance auto repair on the go I want to make sure my knife can handle light miss use. I think IMO that not having the strongest and most well made knife you can afford on you is an error. But I am an A hole as some other members would agree lol. Anyway that's a fine knife and a good price. Here's a picture of my baby I EDC

image-2271773334.jpg

10. SSGSF

SSGSF New Member

What kind of auto repair do you do with your knives?

11. JMAtactical

JMAtactical New Member

Come on man, I don't regularly do auto repair with my knife. I am saying if by chance I got into a situation where I could make a quick fix and was stuck out I could use my knife an not worry. I don't know about you but in my experience its been better to prep and be geared for the worst and train like you will have minimal gear or tools at your disposal. I like to carry a blade that I feel will be able to not just cut open my gummy worms bag but can also be used in a SHTF situation.

12. SSGSF

SSGSF New Member

Ok what kind of experience do you have?
    That you think I do not, have .

13. spack762

spack762 New Member

ForumRunner_20130819_113750.jpg

I carry two. Top one is a mora carbon steel. Holds a great edge. Use it for dang near everthing.
    Bottom one is a Leatherman freestyle. Most likely a 440 of some type. Ok edge, easy sharpin. Use this blade more than any other.

14. JMAtactical

JMAtactical New Member

I think your feeling that I am trying to attack you sir and I am not. I am only making a statement of how I view life and how I personally prepare or such things. Every year I do a two week survival course in the Texas plains and I always stress the importance to my survival buddy or partner if you will of having a knife( which is the most important part of a survival kit) that can do anything you want. I usually carry my Glock field knife as it can be used and abused and take it. But I do not know you nor do I know your personal experience. If you feel or felt I was tryin to saying I'm better I must inform you that you took it the wrong way. And I mean no offense at all. The point is you won't always have a set of tools on you or a pry bar or screw driver so why not be prepared for that situation. That's the way my father trained me am thats the way I train my friends and family as well. Of course I agree that if you have the tools for the job use them always. It would be foolish I risk your knife on a job you have a tool for. But again you don't always have those tools in every situation

15. SSGSF

SSGSF New Member

I never for one second thought you were attacking me. I just asking you a question .