Favorite Dies?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by fa35jsf, Mar 12, 2013.

1. RCBS

17.6%
  2. Hornady

23.5%
  3. Lee

41.2%
  4. Lyman

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Redding

5.9%
  6. Forster

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Other....

11.8%
  1. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

What is y'alls favorite brand of dies? Right now I own some RCBS and Hornady dies but what about others. I am going to add a poll to this so check it out and post comments

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

I prefer dillon dies but only if im using em solely in my xl650. Otherwise i like lee redding and rcbs. I really really like the lee crimp dies a lot. The rcbs competition seater dies are really good for my precision needs. The dillon dies are just fantastic for making minor changes and stuck case removal or replacing broken decapping pins.

Lee decapping sucks terribly and should really be avoided if you need to decap military crimped primers or have a possibility of dealing with berdan cases. I just hate having to disassemble to slide the decap pin back down. They are fine on normal decapping needs but i find em annoying when having to process military surplus range pickups or mixed unknown source brass

3. cottontop

cottontop Guest

I own some of all of them, but RCBS are my favorite. I really don't care much for Lee dies, but will use them if there is nothing else. I've gotten some good deals on used RCBS dies from the bay.
    ct

4. rockratt

rockratt Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I have Hornady, RCBS and 1 Lee. I prefer the Hornady's but have more RCBS because I have been able to pick used ones up at good prices.

5. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

Yeah I think both Hornady and RCBS are probably the best in my book. Then again I am pretty green to reloading

6. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Guess Lee cause thats all i've ever used --

7. awaysaway

awaysaway New Member

Really like the machining on the Redding dies. Just a step above the others.

8. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

I use Lee carbide dies. The only problem I've had is with decapping some brass, due to the way some really tight primers cause the pin to slip. It interrupts the rythm of the operation while readjusting the die.

9. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Absolutely. For me, redding above all of the others.

Lyman and RCBS in 2nd place.

10. beaglesam

beaglesam Active Member

Lee dies have served me well.

11. 1982flh80

1982flh80 New Member

vintage dies

Have a couple sets of CH in 30.06 270 30/30. Shooters supply in 35 rem. 6.5 nip 8mm Mauser. These dies belonged to my late father who taught me how to reload hunt and shoot straight. I have his CH "C" press although I use a Lee Challenger single stage for rifle and a Lee classic turret press for my handgun ammo.

12. locutus

CH made top end equipment!:)

13. gr8oldguy

gr8oldguy New Member

I reload for handguns only and my Lee dies have been flawless.

14. BILLYBOB44

BILLYBOB44 New Member

Dillon deserves a spot on the poll...

The BEST production dies out there does not rate a spot on the poll??:eek:

For me:
    Dillon
    Redding
    RCBS

Lee is JUST one step above using a pair of pliers to work the cases...Bill:rolleyes:

15. GSpears471

GSpears471 New Member

I have both Lee and RCBS . RCBS is of higher quality however if you are just starting out and your on a limited budget LEE is the way to go. As others have stated sometimes readjusting the primer decapper is kind of a PIA .

16. Roper

Roper New Member

I have been changing over to Lee. I have RCBS and Dillon but I think Lee has it in the die market. Factory crimp and all! But as always, do what makes you happy!

17. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i have both Lee and RCBS dies. the RCBS dies were given to me by my father when he gave me all his reloading equipment. the Lee dies are those i bought when adding new calibers to those i reloaded for. now i like the RCBS dies, but they can be a little harder to set up initially. they are a little more costly as well. the Lee dies are easier to set up and are just as good at turning out very nice relaoded ammo and are a decent bargain to boot. one thing i do like and even buy them to use with my RCBS dies are the Lee collet crimp dies. these are just great for crimping the bullets. i like that it's a seperate step.

18. locutus

Although I am completely devoted to Redding, I use the LEE Factory crimp dies in most calibers that I load.

I must say that even though I dislike LEE products in general, we all owe Richard Lee a big debt of gratitude for making products that allowed many folks on a tight budget to get into reloading.