Favorite Cleaning Gear and Supplies

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by bearrwe, Jul 11, 2012.

1. bearrwe

bearrwe New Member

To start off this new thread list your favorite gear and cleaning supplies. This isn't a which is best, this is a "this is what I clean my guns with".

2. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Hoppes #9, Aerosol Breakfree CLP/ Non Chlorinated Brake Cleaner and Mobil1 Full Synthetic 5-30W.

3. bearrwe

bearrwe New Member

I have an Otis field kit for in field use. That said I usually wait until I get home to clean my guns. At home I have my cleaning gear from many years as a gunsmith. Thing I feel make the job easier and neater. A cleaning vise that I built in school. An assortment of one piece rods, many of which I made over the years out of brass or aluminum rod and wooden dowels. I buy my brushes in bulk over the years I have bought several lots of "assorted cleaning brushes " off of ebay, it's worked out well for me. I make cleaning/oiling mops by wrapping strips off old tshirts marlins various sizes of wooden dowels. I clean the strips by washing them in a fishnet bags and get several uses from them. For supplies I keep it simple, Hoppes#9, Breakfree CLP and Gun Scrubber for places I can't reach. Well that's pretty much my kit I'm always willing to try something new or use something different if the situation calls for it, but that's the basics.

4. Kdub

Kdub New Member

Clp, hoppes, bore snakes. I've also found dentist pick sets to be really helpful to get hard to reach areas. I also use a lot of qtips.

5. RustyShackleford101

RustyShackleford101 New Member

In wood finished guns, I apply a light coating of hoppe's no. 9 lube oil with a paper towel. It makes the stock looks like a beauty and also does wonders on polishing up metal furniture, make sure not to cake it on, one bead per square 6 inches is good.

6. sangeet

sangeet New Member

I'm just an ordinary guy who loves guns

7. bearrwe

bearrwe New Member

But are you an ordinary guy who cleans them? If you are what do you like to use to clean them?:rolleyes:

8. getem2011

getem2011 New Member

Hoppes, Otis or break free clp, gun slick foaming bore cleaner, and mil comm TW25B ( my favorite).

Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
  9. RustyShackleford101

I used to know a guy who NEVER CLEANED HIS GUNS. He blew up the barrel on one. Not sure if it's cleanliness related.

10. srtolly1

srtolly1 New Member

Breakfree CLP, Hoppes #9, transmission fluid (for cosmoline removal), WD40 and an assortment of brushes and rods. Oh, lithium wheel bearing grease on slides and such.

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

Dewey one piece rods, qtips, clp, sonic cleaner for small parts some recievers and most handguns and some suppressors, hoppes bore cleaner, catm4 tool, shop rags100% cotton.

Lube mobil synthetic
    Preservative clp
    Grease tetra gun grease

12. JPSniper

JPSniper New Member

I recently just bought a CLP called FrogLube. I can honestly say that this is the best CLP that Ive used. No need for Hobbes or Oil. You warm up the pieces with a hair dryer, then apply the paste.
    I use this regularly on my Glock 23 and my cleaning time went from 45 min to less than 15 :)

13. RustyShackleford101

I use hoppe's products almost exclusively. I like they lubricating oil more than any other on the market. I do prefer nylon coated, one piece rods to collapsible non coated ones( my twisted mind thinks they are smoother) for patches I prefer patches designed for the caliber, not all purpose.

14. Wiseman3

Wiseman3 New Member

I like the Slip 2000 products. used a bunch of different stuff, but I got my best results with the slip 2000 stuff

15. LikeABoss

LikeABoss Member Lifetime Supporter

Rod with handle, jags, bore brushes, shop rags (2 for solvent cleaning, one with oil), patches, brass brush, toothbrush, q tips, hoppes 9, mobile 1 - just got done, therapeutic

Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  16. RustyShackleford101

I've heard about those sonic cleaners. I just polish by hand but have been thinking of"upgrading"any suggestions?

17. billt

billt New Member

I bought this one from Harbor Freight for $75.00. It's the exact same model Lyman charges twice as much for. Works like a champ. It has a heat setting, but it isn't powerful enough to actually heat cold water. I just heat up some on the stove until it's hot enough so I can barely put my finger in it, then pour it in. The "heat" setting on the machine will keep it hot after that. I use Dawn dish washing liquid for a detergent. Works really well.

http://www.harborfreight.com/25-liter-ultrasonic-cleaner-95563.html

http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/case-prep/turbosonic-casecleaner.php

18. RustyShackleford101

I've always been a huge Harbor Freight fan. That cleaner looks pretty cool. I might be able to get a whole Glock in there! XD

19. Iam10-32

Iam10-32 New Member

Used to be Breakfree CLP and Hoppe's. I just recently tried Froglube on a couple of my guns an I am really impressed! I think that may be the only thing I use for now on.