Favorite 9mm PD rounds?

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by shawn_c2000, Oct 5, 2012.

1. shawn_c2000

shawn_c2000 New Member

Okay so i was wanting some ammo suggestions I'm shooting a keltec pf9 just wanted to see what everyone favors

2. Werminator

Werminator Member

Lots of good options. Hornady critical defense. Fiocchi extrema FTP. Hornady zombie Max (sounds stupid but same as critical defense). Hydrashok. Gold dot. Golden saber. It comes down to buying a couple options and seeing how well they cycle in your gun and accuracy... some guns simply don't shoot all loads equally...

3. shawn_c2000

shawn_c2000 New Member

I'm carrying hydra shoks now but they tend to clog

4. rebelcowboy

rebelcowboy New Member

I suggest hornaday ammo the critical duty or defense both are great

5. rebelcowboy

rebelcowboy New Member

Only difference is the colors of the tips but very good ammo I use it for defense and Winchester for practice

6. shawn_c2000

shawn_c2000 New Member

See I was considering the critical duty but heard its best for full size frames

7. rebelcowboy

rebelcowboy New Member

That comment from whoever said that is false the critical duty is made with a higher standard than the defense the critical duty is made with FBI standards and critical duty is capable of shooting thru doors walls crates thicker pieces of wood etc it's made for if needed you can shoot thru a persons cover to hit them

8. shawn_c2000

shawn_c2000 New Member

I ment gun frame I'm ccw is a keltec pf9 (sub compact) not sure how the stress from the heavier billet will affect the gun

9. rebelcowboy

rebelcowboy New Member

The same as shooting anything else you put thru it that doesn't change much and usually the amount of grain is less with defense rounds anyway mine are 185 grain for defense and I use 230 grain for practice and that's using my .45 for those two grains and 9 mm is about 115 grain Max maybe 125 not really sure haven't bought any 9 mm ammo lately

10. mdauben

mdauben New Member

My current 9mm preference are 124gr +P loads, either Speer Gold Dots or Federal HST. Both these are proven performers and are available in relatively economical 50 round "LE" packages.

11. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

Winchester Ranger 127gr +p+.

12. TnRebel

TnRebel New Member

As Werminator said it all depends what your peace likes to eat. Myself and my Taurus PT 111 Mil. Pro 2nd gen . runs the best , and groups the best with the Cor-Bon DPX + P

13. shawn_c2000

shawn_c2000 New Member

Yeah I'm probably gonna go with the critical defense right now I'm carrying hydra shok or gold dots I switch them out sometimes

14. 4sig

4sig New Member

9mm from what I've used is 115 grain, 124 grain and 147

15. StoneCat

StoneCat New Member

I like winchester's bonded pdx-1

It was designed for the FBI's criteria in regard to a round able to penetrate auto glass or barricades like Sheetrock, and still provide lethal velocity against assailants in heavy clothes.
    The downside is, it could over-penetrate in situations (think missing a shot inside an apartment...)

My other favorite is Hornady's critical defense. The cavity of the hollow point is filled with (plastic?) so guns that have a tendency to dislike more traditional hollow point ammo can still run it.

16. shawn_c2000

shawn_c2000 New Member

Yeah but from what I seen unless its the supreme elite pdx1 it tends to clog if I remember right same with the ranger I like the cortical defense the polymer plug in the middle is ment to keep it from clogging might test the golden sabors

17. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

Then Ranger 124gr +p bonded.

18. rebelcowboy

rebelcowboy New Member

Thanks for the correction I haven't bought much 9mm ammunition lately so I don't remember and my .45 uses 185 or 230 depends on what ammunition I'm using at the time Winchester or Hornaday

19. oli700

oli700 New Member

excellent ! These are top shelf for me too

20. JigSawer40

JigSawer40 New Member

When I had my PF9 I carried either Win PDX1 124 +P or Win 147 HP.