favorite 7mm bullets

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Jake15, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Jake15

Jake15 New Member

I've been reloading for my 7mm Rem mag, and I've run out of my 154 gr hornady spire point bullets so its time to get more. I didn't really like the spire point that much so I want to get some of hornady's sst boat tail bullets but im not sure what weight to get, they got 132 gr. and 154 gr. I was just wondering what everyone else prefered and if someone had some suggestion for some good bullets, preferably under $30 per 100. Any advice would be well appreciated, thanks

2. keymastr5912

keymastr5912 New Member

here in alaska it seems that the single favorite all around 7mm bullet would by the 160gr nosler partition. you won't find them for $30.00 per hundred though. the sierra 175 bt also works pretty well in my winchester. for deer and caribou sierras are always a good choice in most any caliber. you might want to try some of the lighter sierras.

3. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

I don't re-load so I don't know the cost, but I like both Nosler Accubond in 140 grain and Hornady SST 139 grain. Both are excellent for deer.

4. buckhuntr

buckhuntr Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Barnes X-Bullet is what I shoot in factory loads. I don't reload. Yet.

5. Gordo323

Gordo323 New Member

I've had great success with a good old Nosler Partition 160gr. spitzer with 59gr. of Hodgdon 4831.
    Shoots well out of my Rem 700 CDL.
    Last I purchased were $30 for 50.

6. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

For target and hunting my Remington loved 140gr Nosler ballistic tips

7. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

Depending on the game hunted, it's going to be dang hard to beat Nosler Accubonds. Both in accuracy and reliability. Nosler Partitions have never been accurate enough for me.

8. Sonnypie

Sonnypie New Member

If you have a load that is accurate for your rifle, switching bullets will cause you to have to rework your load.
    That said...
    I like lighter, faster loads myself. Over lobbing some overweight train car out there. ;)

9. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

I have not found a bullet my Savage 7mm RM does not like. I had an issue w/ 140gr Ballistic Tips. Hit a Whitetail in the rib at 80 yards, the bullet blew up and the deer took off after it got up. 160gr Partitions work very well. When Barnes changed from the XFB name to TSX, they sold the XFB's in their close out section. 3 boxes of 140gr, 3 boxes of 160gr. 50 bullets each, $17.00 shipped. They E-mailed me all the load data. IMR4831 is my powder of choice. I have 139gr SPBT that I use on Whitetail now and 162gr SPBT for moose and black bear. I do have some 120gr that shoot fine, but since they have a low SD and BC they are not much good for medium or larger game at distance compared w/ heavier offerings.

10. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

My 7mm Rem. Mag. Remington 700 CDL likes the 150gr. Remington Accutip.
    It is a 1/4 to 1/2 MOA at 100 yards depending on me having a good day or not. And also brings the Texas Deer and Pigs down with no problem.

11. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

There you go. I used 150gr and 175gr for years, never failed to anchor game. My failure was the speed at which the ballistic tip bullet hit, and what it hit. It would have worked better at 200 yards plus. Standard cup and core are great. Up to 400 yards I find both BT and FB equally as accurate. Since I can find game from 50 to 400 yards I no longer use ballistic tips.

12. Jake15

Jake15 New Member

Thanks for all the info, I think I'm gunna go with hornady's 162 gr. A-max boat tail bullets

13. mrb1982

mrb1982 New Member

I haven't necessarily reloaded any yet, but I tried multiple factory loads and ended with a 150gr Sierra Gameking Boat tail. good speed, moderate knock down power, grouped the best. I am excited to start reloading some rounds though to get it even better.