Firearms Talk banner

favorite brand of .22LR ammo?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
pretty simple. we often hear oh whats the best or what brand does this.. well i simply want to know your favorite. what brand do you walk into the store and ask for ??

·
Registered
47 Posts
I used to buy CCI Blazers cause everybody raved about them and for the most part is very good 22 ammo. One time I was looking for 22's to take to the range the next day and the place I went didn't have it in stock so I picked up a big box of Remington Golden Bullets. These performed better than the CCI's with less FTE's in all my 22's. I was a little surprised but also thought you can't always believe what you read as I've read a lot of good but mostly bad things about this ammo. So for now this is my favorite 22 ammo since you can buy a big 500+ box for cheap.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i will be buying CCI and fiocchi.. couldnt believe the clover it gave me out of my marlin.

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
I like the Remington too, I dont seem to have any problems and its pretty accurate...

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i shot some blazer the other day and it was the dirtest ammo ive seen in awhile and had a ton of duds.. after my bolt .22 eats its up i wont be buying anymore

·
Administrator
26,146 Posts
Depends on what I am doing with the .22. For SERIOUS target work, Nobel R-50, Wolf match or Lapua Master. Plinking with the grandkids- Federal Champion Target. Match ammo is not cheap.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I don't have a favorite flavor. I'll buy what's on sale, pick up 1,2k at a time. I have 22's in pistol & rifle, auto, bolt, etc. If it doesn't work in one it will work in another. I have a thousand rounds of Eley Running Boar ammo. Hot stuff. From hyper-velocity to cb & bb. I looked in my ammo cans and even have some ammo in MontgomeryWards packaging.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
When I was regularly doing 100-150 yard work with my Marlin 60, I found Winchester Xpert to be the most accurate.

Remington subsonic is my next choice. Sub moa to 100 yards, quiet through the can.

Federal lightning, is it still around?

·
Registered
635 Posts
I think CCI is by far the best 22lr ammo out there. I have several thousand rounds of various CCI brands of ammo. I also like Federal 510 bulk and shoot a fair amount of it as well.

·
Registered
65 Posts
havent shot enough of a veriety to find out what's my favorite. currently i like Winchester wildcats. they are cheap and i dont have to go to walmart to get them. i love blazers but only one place sells them and they sell all bricks for $25. compare, the wildcats are about $20 after tax.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
I've had nothing but great results with the Federal bulk 550, something about spending 100 bucks for 2750 rounds that I really like...;)

I have a bunch of the CCI's as well, can't go wrong with that either...

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I buy bulk federal, all my .22 shooting is random plinking. Nothing more than 50yards and they run fine in all my .22s, sometimes i buy winchester wildcats because bricks go on sale for $14 and i buy a couple just to keep my stock up.

·
Registered
33 Posts
CCI Stinger (for hunting).

Other than that (e.g. target practice, plinking, etc.), it doesn't matter too much. I often use the Remington Thunderbolt cuz you can get a brick of 1,000 for less than $10.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts