Fathers Day Gift, my first AK 47

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by heiztdiz, Jun 22, 2012.

1. heiztdiz

heiztdiz New Member

Put 60 quick rounds thru her today. First time shooting an AK 47, I'm in love already. I love the power....accuracy was not an issue at all. Should I deck it out or stick with wood like a purist?

image-181920416.jpg

2. SSCRS

SSCRS New Member

Keep it as it, or ad a wire folder! Copes and RTG had some good prices on polish folders that look almost identical to the romanian ones.

3. heiztdiz

heiztdiz New Member

This gun was originally an RPK, they shortened the barrel to 16" added a flash suppressor and different butt stock

4. SSCRS

SSCRS New Member

not sure what that has to do with swapping the buttstock for a folder :)
    Believe they still have the same tang.

5. trip286

trip286 New Member

With the forward grip, I'd put on a folder. For aesthetic reasons only. I have no idea how a wire folder handles.

6. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

Exactly what type of AK47 and how much did it cost you? I'm toying with the idea of getting an affordable WASR 10/63 myself.

7. heiztdiz

heiztdiz New Member

It's actually a Romanian aes-10 RPK that's been converted to an AK. It's a beast. It's surprisingly well put together. I've heard good and bad about the WASR 10's but more good about the 10/63 than bad. Post a new thread for the best input as I am clearly no expert, with this being my first AK. Once I shot it though I knew I made a great decision

I got a smoking deal, for today's prices, I got it for $500 cash from a gun dealer I know personally. So all told I bought the gun 500 rounds and a shock wave exploding target for 640

8. SSCRS

SSCRS New Member

500? you got a smokin deal on it. It should have the heavier RPK barrel which will help out if you are shooting longer strings.

9. heiztdiz

heiztdiz New Member

Sometimes it's not what you know...its who you know.

10. heiztdiz

heiztdiz New Member

Do you know If its common to remake these into AK's I looked around online and couldn't come across any examples like mine. Everything was the RPK with long barrel and bipod. Here's a better pic without the flowery vision backdrop too.

image-1560897432.jpg

11. SSCRS

SSCRS New Member

Very uncommon. No "production" rifles that I know of. Just kit builds. It could be from a small importer though, what markings does it have?

12. heiztdiz

heiztdiz New Member

CAI (century Arms). Maybe the dealer I got it from did it. They love AK's and know them better than anyone else in my state (Maine).

13. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

If it were mine, I would try to put it back in RPK form. Kinda like a short barreled RPK.

Honestly, I think it looks better with a shorter barrel.

Attached Files:

14. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Diz,

That is a beautiful AK and I do like the wood also great grain! Sorry, but not particularly the pistol grip forearm. That is just my opinion though! Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. NICE PIECE! Wish I had one that good looking! Maybe someday ! :D

15. SSCRS

SSCRS New Member

CAI did import some RPK's with full length barrels. Looks like someone took yours and chopped it down. Does it say Cugir anywhere on the receiver?

16. heiztdiz

heiztdiz New Member

Follow up.the gun shop did the modification here's what they said. "The only thing we really had done is cut the barrel down, and the gunsmith "keyhole" did that. Then we changed some of the furniture"

17. heiztdiz

heiztdiz New Member

I agree it looks much better with a shorter barrel but doesn't the bipod fold to where you'd grip it in the front now?

18. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

Yeah, good eye, didn't think about that. Don't know if you can get a similar bipod that is shorter. I love the RPK stock though.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  19. SSCRS

SSCRS New Member

That thing is so nice looking I wouldnt do a think except add a better muzzle break and shoot the heck outta it.