Fat guy CCW

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by Largestal, Oct 1, 2009.

1. Largestal

Largestal New Member

This is an easy question with what I am sure will be great answers.

I am 5'7", 240. Gut straight out the front and no butt, but the wife doesn't care. Small love handles.

I pocket carry most of the time but would like to carry a bit more power. I am not concerned with what I will actually be carrying, but it will be in either a .40 or .45 caliber. Already carry a 9mm.

So what are the thoughts on a chubby guy's most comfortable options. IWB is always possible, but when I sit that sucker can hurt. MOB is not an option as shoulder surgery messed that up.

I am open to suggestions - firearm, method and holster (if needed). Just no suggestions about losing weight. I have been this size for 15+ years and I am not buying a new wardrobe!

Thanks in advance

2. General_lee

General_lee New Member

I'm a skinny little joker, so my advice might not be as good as others.
    Since we're coming up on cooler weather, you might want to look into getting a shoulder holster for those chilly days when a jacket is neccesary.
    I normally carry IWB at 1 o'clock, but with a larger caliber like .40 or .45, that can get a little uncomfortable even for my skinny little self.

3. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I personally carry at around 4 o'clock. I"m 6' 180 and it's the only place I can hide a 45. I fight grip length regularly.

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Have carried a 1911A1 about 4 o'clock, paddle holster on waist, and a right side up shoulder rig.

Nice thing about a shoulder holster- if you need to go potty, you don't drop the piece and have it bounce 2 stalls down.

5. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Dan Wesson CBOB, iwb holster. :cool:

6. orangello

orangello New Member

I do not carry, but i do wonder if you've tried a slimmer gun? People are always saying that the 1911 packs really flat. If you know anybody with a 1911 or other single-stack, maybe you could try it on?

7. JoeTiger

JoeTiger New Member

I'm a big guy myself (6' 3", 280) and I carry an XD-9 service in a Super Tuck IWB at 4:00. Once I got the holster broke in (took about 2 weeks) I had no trouble sitting or even riding in a car.

Trust me, I know about not buying a new wardrobe . . .

8. brolin_1911a1

brolin_1911a1 New Member

I've found that the 1911a1, Taurus PT14x, and Browing Hi-Power all carry well around the 4 o'clock position in a kholster IWB tuckable adjusted to snug the butt into my right kidney. The kholster (or more expensive Crossbreed) is a really, really comfortable holster.

Kholster

9. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I carry a 1911 in a Horseshoe Leather Products, Covert 28 on one of Andy's 1.5" belt.

This is a very comfortable high ride forward cant holster.

28.jpg

This is the model 28S w/o the rear protective tab option.

28b.jpg

Here is the model 28 with the tab.

Regardless what holster you go with, make sure it has this type of protective tab. Trust Me!!

Covert Holsters at Horseshoe Leather

10. h&k bigdaddydieseldan

h&k bigdaddydieseldan New Member

Look at Bladetech holsters in washington state best damn holsters money can buy :D:D

11. brolin_1911a1

brolin_1911a1 New Member

You are so right about that sweat tab. Not only does it protect your shootin' arn from your body sweat but it also protects your love handles from the corners on that shootin' arn.

I noticed that yours is carried hammer down. I find that interesting. The 1911 was designed to be carried safely in Condition 1, "cocked and locked. Yet Jeff at Boomstickholsters told me quite some time back that he had a hard time finding dummy guns in that configuration to use for molding holsters. Almost all came with the hammer down yet, Jeff said, the vast majority of his customers who wanted a 1911 holster wanted to carry condition 1.

12. Phelenwolf

Phelenwolf New Member

I am 6' 1" and am 300lbs very broad shoulders and a 38/40 waist depending on what holster I am going to use. Most of the time for carrying my XD45 or my Sig P229 9mm, I use a Galco or Milt Sparks IWB holster. If not I use Galco's pancake holster, under a t-shirt or polo style shirt. Those are what I have found to be the most comfortable to use. Plus with the heat here in Az a t-shirt is about all you want to wear.

13. mdemichael2

mdemichael2 New Member

I am also your height and around your weight. I carry my Para Ordnance OPS which is about the size of a commander in an Eagle brand waist pack and my 1911 Taurus gov't size in a Galco model FL212B which also does double duty for my hi-power when I choose to carry it. The waist pack is very comfortable except for possibly driving as it would interfere with turning the wheel. I don't drive but you can turn the waist pack to your right or left to get it out of the way from the steering wheel. The Galco is a very comfortable rig and does not bother me after hrs. of wear.
    The shoulder rig might also work if you can reach it with out undo pain or problems after your back surgery. The holster suggestions are all very good. You may want to look thru American Handgunner and Guns Magazine as both have very good holster articles and feature web and regular contact info for several custom holster makers when featured in their mags.

14. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

Try strong side appendix carry.

15. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I am almost like him I do have a butt and a darn nice one at that. LOL

My problem is my cargo is spilling over the sides as well. I tried to pack but I have to sit funny in my car and the seat belt rubs my 1911 and I am not going to let that put a mark on my gun. So for me I think I jsut need to get my ares out of the chair and on the tredmill holding up my cloths in my bed room.

16. mdemichael2

mdemichael2 New Member

I wear a tshirt to keep my 45 from rubbing on me and a large shirt 4x over my holster and gun to hide it. While ridding in friends vehicles I've found that the seatbelt doesn't rub on my firearm. I do carry rh strong side just behind my front pocket with holster tilt forward.

17. bcarroll

bcarroll New Member

I have started useing a com tac neck holster and a kel tec 380. And for on the belt 45 I use a non cant hi ride, about 3 oclock. wear a tee shirt with suspenders, large shirt over the gun. Winter I have ccw sig jacket

18. mdemichael2

mdemichael2 New Member

Who makes the com tac neck holster , sounds interesting?

19. James

James New Member

Sorry, I'm new. Really new.

What's the deal with 1 o'clock, 4 o'clock, etc? I know it's got something to do with where you carry your handgun, but I don't know exactly what.

Thanks

20. UnderFire

UnderFire New Member