Faster second shot...

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by connectegr, Jun 15, 2012.

1. connectegr

connectegr New Member

I am trying to increase my "double tap" speed. Practice has resulted in improvement, but I could use a little mechanical assistance. What do you recommend? I am thinking that better control of the recoil will help. Compensator or buffer? Specifics will help. Thanks

2. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

What kind of pistol your shooting will helps us help you alot better. Also if you are shooting a SD pistol a comp will just be more hinderance than good.

3. InDefenseofLiberty

InDefenseofLiberty New Member

What grip are you using? Grip can have the most effect on recoil control. A "thumbs forward" grip gives great control over recoil. Just be careful of keeping your thumb away from the slide lock or you will unintentionally keep your gun from going to slide lock.
    Aside from that you can make improvements to your gun that are not immediately apparent like a tungsten guide rod to lower the slide axis of your particular gun. BTW what are you shooting. That will help a lot with getting good responses on accessories.

4. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I'm guessing that since this is posted in the AR section that you are running an AR.

Getting the support hand further out on the hand guard helps control muzzle climb and can help you drive your muzzle to the next target. A vertical fore grip can help and often works best out forward as more of a handstop.

Muzzlebrake or comp is useful for controlling recoil or climb. The penalty can be extra flash and more sound directed toward the shooter. The battlecomp is great because it doesn't make a huge flash and controls recoil but it's pricey. The effin a comp is another good choice but so kind of expensive. the Benny Cooley is used by a lot of competition guys and is fairly reasonable.

5. EW1066

EW1066 Member Supporter

Do you guys realized this is the AR forum? Would it not be safe to assume he is talking about an AR?

6. SSGN_Doc

That was another way to make my point.

7. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Sorry guys didn't realize that. A good comp will tame an AR very well. Some good one were mentioned.

8. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Compensators will do more for you than a buffer change. In fact, using a heavier buffer will slow down your times, but smooth out the impulse.

Proper technique and placing your support hand as close the muzzle as possible will probably garner the best improvement. Compensator second. An adjustible gas block and lw bcg and buffer system might be tied for second but are inordinately expensive and require a lot of tuning.

9. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

The reason why a lot of shooters like 12, 13 , 15 inch hand guards is that it allow us to put our support hand close to the muzzle. This allows us to steady the muzzle and move it around from target to target (transitions). A good lightweight FF handguard will do wonders to your follow up shots.

10. SSGN_Doc

Excellent point. You said it much better than I did.

11. connectegr

connectegr New Member

I was recommended a Spikes buffer. But, which one low density tungsten (T1) or the high density (T2)?

What compensator?

I found the thumb over grip to be uncomfortable. It does work with controlling the mussel, but feels robotic when moving or clearing a room. I have a vertical front grip and it does feel more natural. Is there a compensator that is also practical for CQB?

Oh, and yes this is for my AR. Maybe the "double tap" comment was misleading. I don't have much trouble with my handgun.

12. SSGN_Doc

Effin a comp
    Battlecomp
    FSC comp

These give less flash but still comp well

13. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Effin A is more of tuneable compensator, doesn't do much of any recoil reduction. I highly recommend them but they do need a little work to get them just right for you. Best muzzle control, not blasty, doesn't do much to hide the flash. About $100.

The surefire mb556k is the best brake I've tested expensive but worth it and it doubles as a qd mount for a surefire supressor. Loud and blasty. About $150.

PWS FSC 556 and the TTO very competent brakes one of the first I've ever used, does a good job on recoil and muzzle control and flash supression. The TTO is a shortened version with out the flash hinding tines. It is lighter tho. Both are loud and blasty. About $100.

The Rainer Arms XTC great middle of the road brake, good recoil reduction, ok muzzle control, has decent flash hiding. Loud and blasty. About $75.

Spike's Tactical Dynacomp, good recoil reduction, ok muzzle control, a little flash supression, and loud and blasty. About $75.

Those are the ones I've tried out personaly.

These deserve mentioning, Id love to try them out but haven't had a chance yet....

Battlecomps - jack of all trades, flash supression, not blasty $150ish.

DPMS Miculek $50, SJC Titan $150, JP Benny Cooley$150ish. Loud and blasty and great recoil reduction and muzzle control. These seem to be favored by competition guys.

There are many many others. These are just off the top of my head.

14. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Effin A is more of tuneable compensator, doesn't do much of any recoil reduction. I highly recommend them but they do need a little work to get them just right for you. Best muzzle control, not blasty, doesn't do much to hide the flash. About $100.

The surefire mb556k is the best brake I've tested expensive but worth it and it doubles as a qd mount for a surefire supressor. Loud and blasty. About $150.

PWS FSC 556 and the TTO very competent brakes one of the first I've ever used, does a good job on recoil and muzzle control and flash supression. The TTO is a shortened version with out the flash hinding tines. It is lighter tho. Both are loud and blasty. About $100.

The Rainer Arms XTC great middle of the road brake, good recoil reduction, ok muzzle control, has decent flash hiding. Loud and blasty. About $75.

Spike's Tactical Dynacomp, good recoil reduction, ok muzzle control, a little flash supression, and loud and blasty. About $75.

Those are the ones I've tried out personaly.

These deserve mentioning, Id love to try them out but haven't had a chance yet....

Battlecomps - jack of all trades, flash supression, not blasty $150ish.

DPMS Miculek $50, SJC Titan $150, JP Benny Cooley Tank Brake $150ish. Loud and blasty and great recoil reduction and muzzle control. These seem to be favored by competition guys.

Honorary mention, Armalite Brake just cuz it so god awfully fugly.

There are many many others. These are just off the top of my head. Hope this helps. :)

15. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Oops double post sorry........

16. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

Uncomfortable, lol. Sounds just like the Marine I took shooting a couple weeks ago. He kept holding the magwell and I kept watching his muzzle bounce around. He said, but it's more compact. I said yeah but it doesn't work, followed by, try this. He slid his hand further out on the rail and rotated hid thumb to 12 o'clock. Muzzle = stationary.

But it's not comfortable. So, you'll get used to it. You're using new/different muscles . I couldn't see shooting any other way now.

17. connectegr

connectegr New Member

I agree the thumb over grip works great on the range. It provides control of the muzzel and I can put shots on target as quick as I can pull the trigger. But I loose range of motion. If three targets are at 25 yards in a tight group, then the thumb over grip works. In the shooting house turning and shooting, with a wide angle between targets, the vertical grip feels more controlled. Regardless I can put two or three quick shots on target at 10-20 yards, but I am trying to minimize adjustments and tighten the grouping. Just a personal preference.

This is my first personal AR. I have used my buddies AR rifles for years. And I have done the shooting house drills with smaller rifles and handguns. This may explain my clumsy feel with the AR. I am a hobby shooter, but maybe with an unhealthy competitive streak. Some of my buddies get much more training and practice.

18. connectegr

connectegr New Member

Battlecomp 1.0 and Spikes T2, very impressed with the first 100 rounds. I think I am done tweeking for a while.

19. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

As you use the thumb over more you'll soon see why people use it everywhere.