Fast approaching first purchase and general noob questions

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by irpotential, Sep 6, 2011.

1. irpotential

irpotential New Member

My wife and I have each taken a lesson and are learning to shoot. I'm pretty much dead set on an autoloader, but haven't actually shot a revolver yet. I'm also left-handed so I'm strongly considering a FN as my nightstand/learning weapon. My local shop has encouraged me to purchase a FNP 45 Tactical they have in stock (feels great in my large hands). It seems like a great gun, do you have any opinions about it? Also, what do you think of using a silenced nightstand gun?

My wife, on the other hand, doesn't like autoloaders at all. So I was thinking of finding a S&W 45ACP revolver for her (she has MUCH smaller hands than I). Is it reasonable to expect both guns will eat up the same ammunition? I assume the FNP would be the picky eater. I've also considered keeping brass and starting to reload in a few months and two guns of the same caliber would make this easier and less work.

Finally, we don't actually own any night stands. I've found one company that makes a $1k nightstand with a biometric lock, looked at gunvaults, and titan vaults. What would you recommend? Keeping the gun unlocked is not an option because we have friends with small children and will have our own in the not so distant future. I know the safe will not stop a thief or determined teen, I just want to keep it out of the hands of an inquisitive child.

Thanks for your input.

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Whew! That's a LOT of questions! I'll make a stab at part of them-

First, is this a weapon you intend for carry, or to be a "house gun"? I ask because the first rule of a gunfight is : Have a gun. Some folks buy a piece that is too big/heavy for them to routinely carry- it winds up staying at home.

Revolver- Yes, they make .45 ACP revolvers. Tend to be big and heavy. Let your wife trying shooting one. See what SHE thinks. I DO like revolvers for self defense due to the reliability of a revolver. If it don't go bang when you pull trigger, you have an expensive poorly designed club. However, I am partial to the .357 magnum. I also have small hands, and a S&W J or K framed revolver fits me well.

Suppressor (not silencer) adds significantly to the length of a handgun. About doubling it. Will that fit in your safe, and how well can you handle a handgun with a suppressor. Second- does it impact the reliability of your chosen firearm? For self defense, reliability needs to be in the 100.00000 % range. Unless you are looking at having shootouts in your house on a weekly basis, would not be my first priority. And a good can (and the Fed transfer tax) is going to be pricey.

3. Jay

Jay New Member

This is strictly my opinion, and has worked in many years of firearms training, and for men and ladies alike. Buy a handgun just like you would buy a pair of shoes. If Ol' Joe over here says he likes Charlie China tennis shoes, and you're looking for a new pair of shoes, do you run out and buy Joe's pick, just because HE likes 'em? Probably not. If a new shooter is asking what to buy for a carry gun, it doesn't matter what works for me, or anyone else. I suggest telling that new shooter to go to many gun shops, and/or gun shows, and handle all the guns they can get hold of. Just like they would try on shoes. Before long they'll be able to make a list of guns that feel ok, pretty good, real good, and "that really feels great in my hands". The last two are the ones to pursue, and here's why I say that....
    If a given handgun doesn't feel "right" in your hands, you'll not shoot it enough to become proficient with it, because it's not comfortable, and you won't like shooting it. Just like you rarely wear shoes that are UNcomfortable. If you're not gonna become proficient with it, save your money, and buy a ball bat to carry. With proper training, and fundamentals, he/she can learn to shoot almost any handgun, or any caliber. Very few folks can re-train their hands to make just any handgun feel comfortable. The last suggestion.........proper shooting techinques, practiced slowly, but proficiently, will breed speed. Do it slowly, and do it the right way, every time.......If you practice speed first, and introduce less efficient techniques into your training, you'll have to do it all over again to get it right.

By the way..... anyone who introduces a new shooter to our pastime by having them start with a large-caliber handgun, makes a very poor decision. Yes, some folks do ok starting out with large calibers, but the vast majority will not continue to shoot if their very 1st experience is with .50 S&W. Start with a .22 caliber something, and as your technique/accuracy improves, work up from there.

There always will be a trade-off..... light weight, more recoil...... shorter barrel, more recoil... just sayin....

Again, just my ramblings.... but they work for me...

Shoot Safely....

4. irpotential

irpotential New Member

Each time I go to the range I've been trying to shoot a different gun. I've shot a Glock 19, S&W 1911 45ACP and 22LR (Ceiner kit), CZ 75B, Beretta 92FS, and FN Five-seveN. I've also handled a XD, H&K, FNP 45, and a few others. Overall, I've liked several of them, but I find trying to operate the slide release left handed to be awkward and sometimes difficult. The 22LR was the gun for my lesson and I was slowly carving the bullseye out of the target at ~20ft.

I am fully aware that a full size, double stack 45 will be nearly impossible to conceal, especially in Florida. The current duty in mind is nightstand duty. When I'm more comfortable with my skill handling a gun, I'll probably consider something like the Glock 19 or FNX as a carry gun.