Farmers

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by easterner123, Jun 7, 2009.

1. easterner123

easterner123 New Member

I feel as a hunter that if a man lets you hunt on his land that you should reciprocate. I went out for the first time last year and this summer I am going to offer a weeks worth of free labor to the farmer that let me go on his land, even though I didn't get anything there. I feel that is an obligation, what do you guys think?

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

You sound like an ethical and good man.

3. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

Good move and of course respect his land and farming operation. (close gates you open and dont let a stray bullet or shot harm equipment, buildings, or livestock) You might even offer some of the meat you harvest.

4. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

You always help the hands the feeds you. Just like while your out take a set of fence pliers and some fencing staples that way if you see a section of fence that needs some help you can help it. Then note where it is at and tell the farmer that you repaired it for now but he may want to check it out.

I know a lot of guys that will shoot 1 extra deer and have it processed and provide it to the farmer esp if he is older as well. Any kind jesture is well looked upon by anyone.

That is the problem here in VA to many jack azzez running around trashing places or doing something stupid and suing the farmer. So it is harder up north to get permission to hunt even ground hogs, coyotes, and hogs.

5. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

I think if there were more hunters like you, there would be less "posted" sign going up. You can hunt on my land any day.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2009
  6. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

In Wisconsin, 80% of the hunt-able land is privately owned, so you had better respect the land owners. Having respect for landowners is only second to respecting the game we pursue.

I had an opportunity to hunt some private land for a couple of years and I ended up putting a roof on his house, a new enclosed front porch, and felling nearly fifty trees and turning them into sticks for firewood and it was worth every hour of labor for the opportunity to hunt this land. As you might be able to imagine, with over 700,000 hunters in the woods during the nine day whitetail gun season here in Wisconsin, the public lands get pretty crowded.

Will Hunt For Food.

7. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I am sure that 98% of the hunters out there are like all of us respectful and willing to help at the drop of a fart. It is that worthless 2% that give 100% a bad name. It is them that I wish you could drop kick right in the nuts.

8. bobbyb13

bobbyb13 New Member

Your name also gets out as a ok hunter to have on your property. It is well known around these parts, who is ok to allow on your place, and who you would just as soon didn't even drive by. Referances by the guy you hunt on goes a long way.

9. mwsfarm

mwsfarm New Member

That would be awesome - although I sure wouldn't think that you would need to put in a week, I would be happy to have a day of help!

about the only contact I have with hunters is when I happen to post some land, to save it for myself and the kids.

One (friend?) of mine gave me such a hard time last year, in a public place, I told him I was going to post the whole farm if he didn't shut his mouth. (it would take a while to post 8000 acres) Someone offering to help out would most certainly earn the right to hunt on my farm.

10. jng2985

jng2985 New Member

There's 4 other guys/family on the deer lease I hunt. Besides paying we also give a week for what ever work may be needed. The owner also returns the favor if we ever need any equipment to move the blinds, feeders etc. He will also occasionally invite us up to his house for steaks and what not. He doesn't have to allow to be there or could give less deer "since its a deer management lease"

11. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ Well-Known Member

Establishing a personal tie with the Farmer

As a Kid we had a pair of Hunters that for years had come out to our place for Early & Late season Whitetail & Mule Deer and Spring Turkey we were gald to have them on the place and call them friend's of the family, thy took the time to get to know us Rancher folk as people rather than sombody that had land they wanted to hunt on, they treated the place with respect as we did, shutting gates and reporting anything amiss right away, some the best people I ever knew. they established a base line that few others met in later years.
    They knew where the established deer areas were so they wernt out cutting up the haymeddows or running across the freshly sowe'd oat field, never seen a pop can or wrapper, they knew the lay of the land because they cared enough to find the time befoehand come out and check the place out, they never got stuck or damaged property or livestock.
    they were probibly more into the whole nature experence more than the hunt that seemd to be a bonus.:)
    I remember Father was having some trouble with his Savage 99F .243 one the hunters offerd to take it back with him and bring it back during the deer season that hunter was nice and had bedded that rifle for Dad.
    later on when the Hunters kids were old enough to hunt they did, till they were old enough they accompanyed ther dads so we met them and got to know them
    The did come out for coyote hunting but I think they liked meat hunting better.
    As I remember one was into Black powder and had hunted the Nebraska primitive arms season as well.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2009
  12. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

It a shame the way people treat property that doesn't belong to them. Thru my mom of all people I got hooked up with a guy who has about 200 acres in prime deer country here in NC. He's got a cabin down there, 7 or 8 stands and a couple of places to use a climber. I've been hunting with him for 4 years now. I make sure I get down there when him and his son go down to work on the place. It's the least i can do for a man that shares all that with me. I'm one of five people who have permission to hunt that land.
    Before that I was stuck hunting game lands because I didn't know anyone who had land and would let me hunt. When you ask people most say no becuase they've had bad experiences with hunters in the past. My dad and I were just talking the other day that it's getting harder and harder to find a place to shoot, even 22. Luckily my parents have some where we can shoot pistol and skeet but no centerfire rifle, there just isn't enough room to do it safely. I only break out my 30-06 a few times a year to make sure it's sited correctly for when the season rolls around. I use the 22 to keep the fundamentals strong.

13. notdku

notdku Administrator Staff Member

On our farm hunters gave us part of their cleaned kills.