FANTASTIC new pistol from Taurus!

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by ArizonaLawman, Nov 2, 2011.

1. ArizonaLawman

ArizonaLawman New Member

I did a class this weekend for a group of relatively new shooters. The group showed up with "the usual mix" of pistols. Most had Glocks, a couple had M&P's, one guy even had a Smith & Wesson Model 19 which is near and dear to my heart. ONE GUY showed up with a new Taurus Model PT 24/7 in .45ACP.

Over the last couple of years, I have really been giving Taurus a hard second look. I have become a total fan of their J-Frame sized revolvers, and like them BETTER than the Smith & Wesson revolvers of similar size. I regularly carry a Model 85UL in .38 as a backup or a Model 905 in 9mm as a backup, and have come to really trust them. I have bought a PT709 Slim 9mm as well, and have found it to be utterly reliable and accurate...far more so than either the Ruger LC9 or the Kahr CW9.

Anyway...I gave the Taurus PT24/7 in .45 a hard look.

Class went along and I watched the feller shooting the Taurus. It was reliable, and accurate. It was capable of far more accuracy than the shooter was capable of wringing out of it as I was to discover later.

Anyway...class came to an end, and I asked if I could give it a try. The feller gave it to me, and I ran some drills. At 15 yards...the pistol gave me hole-in-hole accuracy with soft recoil (using 230 fmj white box) with not a single hiccup. Off the bench at 25 yards...it put 5 rounds into 3" on average and with some 230gr Hydra Shok, it gave me a pair of 5-shot groups in the 2 1/2" range. The sights are big, easy to see, and give a very crisp sight picture.

I put about 100 rounds total through the pistol with no hint of trouble.

He purchased it at a local shop for $389....ONE HELLUVA bargain for a .45 with all this one has going for it.

This is a pistol I would carry and trust my life to with NO hesitation. If you're looking for a polymer pistol in .45 (9mm and 40 are also available) under $400 with a life time warranty and great ergonomics...give this one a look.

I didn't get pics (dead camera batteries) as some idiot (me) left the camera ON in my range bag...but I found a pic online.

AZL....OUT!

Attached Files:

2. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Was this the compact or the standard model ? I have been looking at one of these but havent pulled the trigger , was looking for some reviews
    Oh and how was the trigger pull ?
    Thanks
    PH

3. 762

762 Member

i like that. i'm wary of new guns, but i may need to give it a try. it's in my price range too.

4. vincent

vincent New Member

I dunno...got burned by a PT709, badly, what a pile. Got lucky and traded almost straight up (+100 cash) for a new LCR in 357. I've heard that Taurus has shaken things up as far as manufacturing and QC but it's going to take A LOT of convincing to get me to back on that train...my.02

5. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Taurus pisses me off. They some very good looking & appealing guns. I really want to think they can get it right. I just don't feel like being a guinea pig for them. I own one Taurus, an 85 UL. It works, but the fine machine work looks like they subbed it out to the local Jr. High Metal shop.
    That new Tracker in .22 is very appealing, but I hate the idea of gambling on a new gun purchase. I didn't know any better with the 85, I feel like I've already pushed my luck with one Taurus product. I don't want to join the parade of horror stories.

6. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

I don't want a glock,. Therefor I dont want a Taurus with glock features.

7. USMC_Richey

USMC_Richey New Member

There is a reason why Taurus handguns are cheaper. You will no that exact reason either instantly or after about 500 rounds.

The lifetime warranty is for when it breaks or stops working, but it doesn't cover dissatisfaction. It won't break, which is good, but it will continue to torture you, and wave in front of your face 4 burning $100 bills.

8. nccinstaller

nccinstaller New Member

I refuse to buy another taurus product and make sure that any friends of mine know what kind of pieces of craph they are when they are looking for guns. I bought a model 85 ul and it would never make it around all 5 shots without it seizing up and not being able to get the wheel to move. Tried a few different ammos than said f it and gave it to a buddy for 100 bucks. I mean really how can a company screw up revolvers so bad?

9. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

So, did you send it back to Taurus for warranty work, or did you sell a broken gun?

10. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Anyone willing to get rid of their recently purchased Taurus for a C-note please PM me and I will do everything possible to make the transaction as painless as possible.

I'll get them fixed and use them for training. :)

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  11. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I am 2 good and 2 bad on Taurus so I am not much interested tn getting another one. For about $100 more you can buy an XD45 compact and have a much better pistol. I just bought one and love it. I am sure you could shoot it better than this old man can and I did not do too bad.

12. Jeff56

Jeff56 New Member

Gee that's funny. I have an XDm that isn't half the gun my Taurus is. That XDm will double fire, sometimes the slide locks open when there's still ammo in the mag, and it's about as accurate as my Raven P-25. I'll be glad to trade it for another Taurus. My Taurus is extremely accurate, it has never failed to operate correctly in 5000 rounds, it has much better ergonomics than my XDm and it cost about half of what the XDm cost new.

Before everyone gets on a "dog Taurus" rant you might want to check the Taurus board and other forums where people will explain that like any gun maker Taurus will have some problems. But on the whole they are no better or worse than many guns that cost twice as much.

I wouldn't trade my Taurus for 2 XDm's. I will trade my XDm for 2 Taurus's. Again I've put FIVE THOUSAND ROUNDS of all types of ammo through my Taurus PT145 and it has never had a single problem. Yeah it's a piece of junk alright. Send your unwanted Taurus to me. I'll see it gets the treatment it deserves. You get a lifetime warranty but that isn't good enough for some people I guess. Even if I had to send it back to the factory more than once that wouldn't be the first time I've had to do that with a gun and I'm talking guns with stellar reputations.

If you can find me a gun that works better than my PT145 has worked up until now I'll pay you $10,000 for it. But since you can't do better than perfect I don't think I have anything to worry about.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  13. USMC_Richey

USMC_Richey New Member

Ok, I have an old 92fs with almost 10k rounds through it. Not a single problem and can get a 1-2" spread @ 25 yards still.

I'll take that $10,000 in hundreds.

14. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Jeff,

That little "m" at the end of XDm is supposed to stand for "Match" and you paid for a match trigger and barrel when you bought it so that the gun was supposed to be MUCH more inherently accurate and easier to target shoot. If it's as bad as a Raven .25, I would get on the phone to Springfield and tell them they need to get it fixed for PUBLIC safety as well as your own! The only accidental discharge I have ever experienced was while trying to fix a jammed Raven for a friend and it discharged. Since I was following all other safety procedures, it went in a safe direction, but the .25 round was so weak, it was stopped by a 1/2" piece of sheetrock.

So get that Springfield back to the company and make them make it into a "Match" level gun, just like it is stamped!

15. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

My 92 went back twice and still did not work right. I traded it back to the dealer at a loss but he knew it was a problem gun. Either you get a good one or a bad one. My little PT22 ran for 19 years and a lot of rounds before it broke. Taurus gave me a new one. That was one of the good ones. Th 85 was also a good gun. The 22 rifle I bought was a POS. Machining and stock fit were very bad. Totally unreliable. I was stuck with it because I special ordered it. I sold it cheap to a guy who knew it had problems.

16. vincent

vincent New Member

Neither. Full disclosure was given, I should have wrote swapped instead of traded, I have no use for a high maintenance gun.

17. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

The slide locking open on XD types is typically caused by the shooters thumb bumping the slide release under recoil. It's a fairly common complaint. My XD40SC will do it, if I fail to account for it. Adjust your thumb position & I bet it stops.
    If it's double firing, than you need to send it back asap or have competent gunsmith look at it. Complaining about it solves nothing.
    As for accuracy, have you tested it with different brands of ammo off of a rest? My gun doesn't like Wal-mart Federal at all, the group size doubled in comparison to WWB. With reloads it likes and Winchester Ranger JHP, it is very accurate.
    Before you chuck it under the bus, try getting it sorted.

18. nccinstaller

nccinstaller New Member

In my opinion it seems like u hear more horror stories about taurua than any other brand. I am not denying other companies arent perfect but it just seems like you dont hear near as much bad about other companies as you do taurus. This thread is just a prime example. Everytime someone starts a taurus thread its usually followed with bad experiences but someone starts a thread of say springfield arms usually its all good comments

19. Jeff56

Jeff56 New Member

It's hogwash that Taurus is worse than a Jennings or a Bryco or lots of other pistols I've seen including the Raven I own. And yes I know I need to send the XDm back to SA. I just bought it recently and I just haven't gotten around to doing it yet. And no I haven't touched the slide catch or anything else while shooting the XDm. I've been shooting for 48 years and I've never had that happen on any other gun I've owned including the aforementioned Raven. I know it's supposed to be a "match" pistol but that's marketing hype anyway. I have two friends that own XDm's and while both shoot better than my XDm, neither will shoot as accurate as my Sig P220. My XDm isn't a terrible gun as it is. It's only doubled about 3 times out of about 600 rounds and it's only had the slide catch once. Still that's way more problems than I've had out of my Taurus. I wouldn't worry a lot about carrying the XDm as a CCW piece just the way it is and it makes a fine night stand gun. I will get it fixed. I just hate sending guns back to the factory because it takes so danged long (even if it's just a week :) ) to get them back. And yes I've tried lots of different ammo through it. It will generally shoot about a 3"-4" group at 25 yards but IMO that isn't good. My Sig will shoot 2"-3" groups at 50 yards or I could make it do that when I practiced with it a lot. My son has had it for a long time so I don't know if I've lost my touch with that gun or not. It probably wouldn't take long to get it back though. A couple or three hundred rounds and a day in the country and it will be back on the tight group shooters list.

As for the $10 grand I said "better" than my Taurus and your PT92 hasn't quite did that just yet USMC_Richey. It's close but no cigar. I can shoot the same size groups and I've never had a problem of any kind with my PT145.

I know Taurus has sold some real junk but so has companies like S&W, Beretta, SA, Sig, Ruger, etc.. If you had seen one of those old Beretta .25's or .32's you'd wonder how in the heck they ever got that big government contract. Those were terrible guns. I shot several of them and my Raven was FAR better than they were.

20. USMC_Richey

USMC_Richey New Member

I'd watch that smartass mouth of yours Jeff. First off, the pt92 and 92fs are essentially different guns, small differences yes but different none the less. Why would I go on a rant about how Taurus sucks if I then defend a pt? The pt92 is a remake of the 92fs by Taurus, as Beretta gave them permission to reproduce them. What an original company you got there, let's just steal everyone else's ideas... Know your stuff before you tell me what I own. Second, like you even said, every company has their goods and bads, so comparing one model to another then reflecting upon the company in general is exactly what you said not to do in your first post about Taurus.

Everyone is going to defend what they like the best, it's no different from cars or sports. We simply post our opinions for others to view, not to be judged. We aren't the only few to not like Taurus, get used to it pal. You chose to like the underdog; not our problem.