Firearms Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This applies to all guns but... just having a gun, without being able to use it to full effect and without hesitation, is nothing more than an ornament!
I watched the movie Firebase Gloria and it triggered some memories experiences with the M16/ ARs and AKs and other guns.
It is absolutely true that everyone thinks in spray and pray terms or rather spray until the target falls.
I favor the old A1 and A2..with a scope. I don't want that bolt carrier etc any closer to my cheek, than what they provide. The Flatt tops are cheaper to make, I think and that is wahts everyone wants to sell now. It is not about improving any accuracy. First time I handled and fredan M16 was at Ft Eustis ,Va. Fired a total of 3 shots from it qualifying. All three shots touched at 100 yards with iron sights! I wouldn't say it if it weren't true. I don't know who sighted it in previously but they dida heck of good job. Young eyes, even if with glasses, and hunting and shooting from about age 6 with a single shot .22, a constant companion on the mountain.
A scope on an AR makes a lot of sense, especially as old as I am. One properly adjusted so that when the stock coems to your shoulder the scop is in focus nd no time neeeded to shift around. Let;s face it these are defensive weapons and if we ever have to sue them for that purpose, you want to reach out and touh them before they can touch you. One shot and not ten or thirity...because you may need those ten or thirty rounds for for that many more targets. This doesn't mean I expect we will have to use our weapons but be prepared, just like the Boy Scouts. And practice not shooting a string of rounds but raising the gun acquiring the sigh picture and firing and hitting the target...with each and every round.
This is of course if you can find any ammunition to practice with and have a large enough bank account. Apologies for the wordiness, up late with pain and tryign to get my mind off it typing..

·
Premium Member
2,671 Posts
Well said, TB. Folks need to get to a point where they KNOW the exact spot a bullet will strike every time they pull the trigger on that particular gun to consider themselves proficient. "Spray and Pray" if charged by a horde of an enemy is one thing. Center of Mass is probably a better idea - starting close -in and working your way to distance.

·
Premium Member
12,950 Posts
Iron sights work for me on a defensive weapon. If someone is at the distance that I needed a scope to hit them, they are not in my defensive zone, and I probably have a choice other than shooting. Scopes are for sniping, irons are for up close and personal. All of my defensive training is within 50 yards. To me, a defensive weapon is a handgun or a shotgun, but to each his own.

Reactions: OldGnome

·
Registered
649 Posts
Problem is that many, thru no fault of their own only have access to indoor ranges or ranges that wont allow a person to practice the skills needed to become defensively proficient beyond slow fire into a paper target and nothing more.
Im lucky enough to have my own range right behind my house and can practice whatever i wish .

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
You lost me at "Absolutely everyone thinks spray and pray is the thing to do".

Practice doesn't make perfect practice makes permanent.

Actual, quality training from a reputable instructor teaches necessary skills. When the skills are properly acquired THEN we practice.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Everyone should attend at least one Carbine class every couple of years.
Even one not taught by the best instructors will still have a tremendous benefit because the drills will force most users out of their comfort zone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts