Falconry

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by Shihan, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

With all the rabbits in my yard, I have been thinking of ways to hunt withoutusing a gun that would make it fun.

Which brings me to the idea of Falconry or GameHawking.

Has anyone here had any experience in Falconry? How difficult is keeping a Falcon? Is it like keeping a Parrot?
    What would be the best bird to start with, a Kestrel or a Harris Hawk?
    Is there any special thing else I may need to know.
    What about a season? Is there a Falcon Season like there is a Bow Season?

I find the idea of hunting with a Falcon to be fascinating.
    Is there anyone in NC that does this?

2. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I imagine you would need a special permit to keep a hawk or kestrel. I would look into that, first.

I think it would be fun to just sit on the porch with a gun in my lap and wait for them to show their furry little faces.

3. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Shihan,You need to check with your states laws about having Birds of Prey.Most require a license to have one.

There's a man down here that has several birds.He has brought them up to my friends gun shop a few times.They are very beautiful animals.

4. orangello

orangello New Member

Greyhounds would be easier to keep & you could take bets. ;)

5. knfxda

knfxda New Member

Coursing for the win!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. winds-of-change

I believe Shihan has a Boston Terrier. Mine was always looking for something to chase. They are feisty little dogs.

7. orangello

orangello New Member

Perhaps a Boston Terrier Boooooster Bunjee Balista to help the lil feller get a jump on the rabbitses? :D

8. Ploofy

Ploofy New Member

Yeah, most places require a permit. And you don't just get a bird. Most of the time you have to catch it. Then you have to train it to come back after it kills the bunnies. THEN, you can start making those rabbits quake in their furry little boots. And I'd recommend whatever bird is most native to your area. They'll be okay in the weather, know about the dangers, and already have a love for bunny.

9. lonewolf101

lonewolf101 New Member

I know that power plants in Wisconsin have Peregrine Falcon to keep the "rats with wings" away.

10. Yunus

Yunus New Member

I could loan you my Basset Hound. We've had to pick rabbit fur from between her teeth in the past.

She's faster than she looks.
    [​IMG]

11. Dzscubie

Dzscubie New Member

Yunus,

She looks so pretty. I love Bassets; I just adopted one that was abandoned at the pilot truck stop in Anthony Texas. What’s her name?

Scubie

Attached Files:

12. Yunus

Yunus New Member

Sadie. Best basset ever :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Glad you rescued one. How could anyone leave a dog at a truck stop? Although Sadie was a rescue, she's a runner, we think she escaped the previous owners. She wouldn't intentionally run away but she gets a scent and follows it until she finds the next good scent to follow.

13. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

This has turned into the Basset Hound thread.
    This was WarEagles All Shook Up aka Elvis.
    [​IMG]

I talked with the Wild Life Commission Officer, there is alot involved to become licensed. There has to be a two year apprenticeship under a Master Falconer just to start. So, I suppose training the dog to chase them down will be the next best thing.

I think she may be game. She is a fast little booger.

Attached Files:

14. winds-of-change

I know my Boston would go after anything. And yes, he was quick.

15. Ploofy

Ploofy New Member

:( I had a Cocker Spaniel named Sadie. She died in my dad's arms with me petting her. She kept the squirrels humble and the cats fit.

16. bmatt1

bmatt1 New Member

well since we are posting pictures of our basset hounds.....

rusty.
    2011-07-17_11.10.09.jpg

rusty again...
    2011-07-24_10.02.48.jpg

and the wife playing with rusty.
    2011-07-10_00.09.47.jpg

17. winds-of-change

Well, I know how you can get a falcon.............

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7ZpWFTUz34]State Farm® Commercial - State of Confusion (falcon) - YouTube[/ame]

18. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Shihan, I don't know what all is involved but I've always thought hunting small game with a falcon would be sweet. My wife isn't a fan but one day I'll talk her into it.

19. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

My old uncle was a falconer. He always had a female redtail hawk and sometimes he had a goshawk. i was an apprentice falconer to my uncle when starvation got the best of me and i joined the US Army.

Not all states allow hunting with birds of prey. The process of becoming a falconer is about the same in every state that allows falconry. Here is the Georgia falconer site.

Becoming a Falconer

20. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Agony.......

I'd say go for it...... But in todays society it's almost imposible. As a teenager I raised a marsh hawk till it was full grown, When trying to train the bird she left and decided to roost in the neighboring trees. My father and I kept calling her and she would come back for food....... Three weeks later we found out that my Hawk was shot and killed by some old grand paw that wanted to have it Mounted.... The old Basterd died two weeks later from a heart attack......:eek: Raise them from brood eggs, that way when they hatch they will be yours for ever, Imagine that.........:)