Failure to Eject

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by SIarsenal, Jun 18, 2014.

1. SIarsenal

SIarsenal New Member

Hey guys,

Hoping I can get some help here have an AR-15 that has operated flawlessly
    putting more then 1000 rounds through it in fact took it to the range about 2 weeks ago,and all was fine. Lastnight however first round out of a Magpul pmag shooting Brown Bear 223 55 gr. I had a failure to eject. It didnt sound quite right like a weak round,and I literallly had to pull out my bolt carrier group and beat the expended cartidge out of the barrel. and the rim seemed extremely sharp. I reassembled the weapon after an eyeball inspection of bolt carrier group and barrel, it now cycles a round into the chamber and I pull the magazine and it will eject. but I have not fired sense reassemble, any thoughts?

Steve

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

steel cased ammo is cheap. most likely an undersized case.

long as the bore is clear of obstruction should be fine. anytime a firearm malfunctions for any reason check the bore for obstructions before loading a fresh round even if a bullet strike is thought to be observed

3. rn-cindy

rn-cindy Active Member

First round out...? How many times have you cycled that round in, then put it back in the top of the mag...? Just a thought...

4. Franklin1995

Franklin1995 New Member

Isn't brown bear some cheap steel case ammo? I didn't think most ARs liked steel case.

Like JonM said, as long as the bore is clear, the only way to find out is to go shoot some more!

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

depends on the rifle. but its really not a rifle problem but a problem with cheap ammo made with a casing the gun was not designed to run. charge weights can vary greatly in cheap steel and i think this has a lot to do with it as does improper coatings on the cases.

chrome lined chambers and 556 chamberings mitigate some of these issues.

the other biggee with 556/223 is the shallow angle of the case wall from the base of the shoulder to the start of the rim. the rooskies use a step angle in their 5.45 x39 and x54r offerings. reason for it is to ease extraction.

if you have a really tight chamber that isnt chrome lined and coupled with iffy coating makes for a rough time using steel in an ar15. this can be exacerbated by running a carbine length gas system or an over gassed gun both of which are very common in cheap low end offerings like s&w dpms bushmaster and some psa guns and other brands looking to cut corners.

when you have a over gas situation or a carbine length the bolt is moving very very fast. steel does not retract from the expansion of hot gasses as fast or as much as brass does making it more difficult to extract. a stronger extractor spring or adding a black extractor o-ring can strengthen the extractor and make it easier for the bolt to yank out stubborn steel cases

this isnt saying if you own a gun with all pr some of these conditions you cannot run steel cases or it wont it just means the chances of problems will be higher.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
  6. JayCody

JayCody New Member

How does the chamber look? Is it clean, Does it have grime in or around it? My experiences with steel cased ammo has been fine but I keep my firearms very clean when shooting it. Usually steel cases stick because they don't seal the chamber as well as brass and this allowed powder and other dirt to gunk up the chamber causing stuck cases. could also be caused by case size or perhaps even a undercharge. I would check the barrel and the chamber to make sure nothing was damaged.

7. Point6liter

Point6liter New Member

Have you broken down the BCG completely and inspected the extractor assy?

8. rn-cindy

rn-cindy Active Member

And sometimes the steel cased will have a light film on it to prevent rust in storage, when the barrel warms up, the stuff can get sticky...

9. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Brown Bear has lacquered cases. In a very hot, fouled up AR chamber they do get sticky.

Not a problem in the AK's, probably because the cycle is over-powered, and the chamber gets less residue.

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

you can test for lacquer by using denatured alcohol on a rag. denatured alcohol removes lacquer instantly. i doubt your going to find any lacquered steel as it was stopped being used ages ago.

11. JayCody

JayCody New Member

Some Brands do still use lacquer but most now use some sort of a polymer.

12. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

This is how CTD sells Brown Bear:
    I have no way to verify this, but regardless, any coating material from E Europe is suspect, given 1000 rounds in a DI system.

13. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

That is a failure to EXTRACT. Many guns in .223/5.56 (especially AR's) do not laquered cases. Clean the chamber with (as stated) denatured alcohol or laquer thinner and go buy some decent ammo.

While you are at it. Get rid of the cheap factory extractor spring and install an enhanced one from Specialized Armament Warehouse, Wolf Gunsprings or (my favorite) Sprinco.

14. rn-cindy

rn-cindy Active Member

I'm not sure about .223/556, RGs Brother reloads that, so i get lots of it for Christmas,B-Day, etc...:D. But the bulk 7.62x39 that i buy at the gun shows for my fishin gun is still lacquer coated.

15. SIarsenal

SIarsenal New Member

JonM,
    Just curious but I am unsure of how an "undersized case" would jam in the chamber i am relatively new to the AR format and apperciate your comments. also if it is say overgassed what is the cheapest and most effective way to remedy that? The Bore is clear of obstruction and I do have other ammo brass cased Hornady and federal once fired reloads, but the weapon in the past has spit out steel case without issue Brown Bear, Huerters, and a couple of others I have not shot Tulammo and don't plan to. Also i am unsure if this matters but the weapons 223 Wylde so therefore is chambered for 556 also I have fired both rounds and am unsure if this matters.

16. SIarsenal

SIarsenal New Member

robocop10mm,
    actually you are correct it didn't even extract but the chamber was cleaned with hoppes solvent and the weapon well lubed prior to going to the range, I have heard that the AR format runs better a little wetter then some weapons, being relatively new to the AR format I could use the advise of more seasoned shooters thanks for the response.

17. JonM

JonM Moderator

Undersized rim allowing the extractor to pop off

18. SIarsenal

SIarsenal New Member

AWW ok kool and that might account for how sharp an edge it had when I got it out!!
    I did some research on the brown Bear Ammo and it is laquered no more of that did get some silver bear ammo that is zinc plated instead so I'll try that apperciate the comments JonM

Steve

19. bradam

bradam Member

Regarding being over-gassed, let the beans soak over night before cooking.:D on a more serious note you may try an adjustable gas block. IMO

20. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

sounds like a simple ammo issue. clean and be sure its ready to fire.. load up better ammo and test it out. if the problem continues something has broken or needs repair. if it does not then it was ammo. think of it this way its a man made machine.. machines fail sometimes. just clear or fix the problem and go on. you have to check to