Fail to Fire?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Vincine, Aug 1, 2011.

1. I have an auto and it always fired.

6 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. I have an auto and experienced a fail to fire.

8 vote(s)
    38.1%
  3. I have a revolver and it always fired.

3 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. I have a revolver and experienced a fail to fire.

4 vote(s)
    19.0%
  1. Vincine

Vincine New Member

I’d like to know what the actual experience here is on the comparative reliability of autos vs. revolvers. For this 'Fail to Fire' includes any and all causes; misfeeds, safety problems, bad ammo, whatever.

How many have an auto(s) and never experienced a Fail to Fire.
    How many have an auto(s) and have experienced a Fail to Fire..
    How many have a revolver(s) and never experienced a Fail to Fire.
    How many have a revolver(s) and have experienced a Fail to Fire.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  2. JonM

JonM Moderator

ive had revolvers and semi autos jam. revolvers can have issues with rounds if the rim area is out of size or the bullet is over length preventing the cylinder from turning. same can be said of semi autos.

debris can get in the actions of either and jam up the works.

properly maintained quality semis and revolvers with good ammo will function flawlessly.

3. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I have an auto and a revolver. My revolver has NEVER failed to fire.

The auto has always fired but it has jammed trying to eject. And I think it's mostly my fault such as limp wristing the gun, not allowing it to 'do it's thing' properly by holding it in the correct position.

4. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I have had falures with both autos and revolvers. Both high quality and cheap. It is usually related to ammo problems though.

5. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I have numerous firearms (semi-auto pistols and revolvers).

The latest FTF was with a revolver that I bought used. It worked good single action, but not in double action. Found that the main spring screw was not in all the way.

Other FTF's were caused by a few "gunsmiths" who did not know what they doing, and I had to fix their screw ups.

6. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

i found this hard to answer. i have multiple personal semi autos, and revolvers. only once have i had a problem with a semi. and it was my .22 savage... now. during my military service. i had TONS. of FTF with my rifle. and once in awhile my 240g. but mostly with my rifle. and mostly when i max filled the mags.

7. dks7895

dks7895 New Member

Knock on wood... The only issues I have had with FTF were with bulk .22lr ammo. Not related to the firearm, but bad ammo.

This includes .22lr, .38spl, 9mm, 357mag & .45lc.

8. Vincine

Vincine New Member

I've added bad ammo to the question.

9. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Did'nt answer poll-
    After hundreds of handguns i've had everthing happen :rolleyes:

10. WDB

WDB New Member

Over the years I've had FTF with semi's and wheel guns, expect I've had a lot more with semi auto's but in most cases it was a quick fix (rack the slide to clear a jam). There wasn't an options to chose both so I didn't vote.

11. deathkricket

deathkricket New Member

I have had many semi autos and revolvers, i have never had any malfunctions with a revolver, out of all my semi auto's i have had 2 that were crap, on of them would fail to eject almost every round, the second would fail to feed, fail to fire, and fail to eject and double feed almost every other round. both of the guns were shot using 5 or more types of ammo with no better performance. Only semi i have never had a problem out of is my XD 9 and my Glock 23.

12. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

that cause xd rocks

13. Wambli

Wambli Member

No vote here. I have both autos and revolvers that have never failed me and the ones that do either get fixed to 100% or they leave swiftly. But reality is that if you own enough guns and shoot thousands of rounds of ammo through them you wiill see just about anything fail at some point...

14. shadamai

shadamai New Member

Last week I was at the range and while firing rounds, my semi experienced some sort of feed issue, leaving the next round in my SA .45 stuck. The lady at the range said she had never seen one stuck as vertically as that one was. She couldn't get it unjammed either and we had to get one of the guys to do it. :(

15. orangello

orangello New Member

Yup, the only problematic auto i've had is a .22 target pistol. I've never had a revolver FTF that i recall, except my BP Remington replica (bad cap). Of course, i only own a couple of revolvers. The GP100 has NEVER failed me.

16. Gordo323

Gordo323 New Member

I consider a FTF as a failure to feed, and a FTE as a failure to eject, and have experienced both.
    The only time I ever had a chambered round fail to fire, was in a .22 with some Remington ammo.

17. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

True that!!

18. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I have had and seenFalures to Fire in both platforms. The single biggest facor was ammo. If not ammo related;

Revolver - mechanical problem that usually requires Armorer/Gunsmith to fix. (Rare)

Semi-Auto - Fouled firing pin chennel is the second most common, followed by worn out main/striker spring.

A well maintained, properly fed quality handgun should never experience a failure like this.

19. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I've had numerous FTEs and FTFs during my 1911A1 break -in
    None, now that it's broken in, and properly lubed.

DE, jam, jam,jam. It doesn't like low power or WWB ammo.
    (but the cheap stuff makes a hilarious fireball)
    Shoots high end stuff very dependably.

Beretta 92s, never a jam between them, they eat WWB like it's candy.

My High-Standard 22LR-refuses to fire cheap ammo dependably.
    Really prefers the CCW, then still duds a round, now and then...

20. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

The six centerfires I've owned have had zero failures. I've only been shooting for a little over 2 years, so this would be a limited study. These are the guns, with approx round counts:

CZ 75b (1500+)
    Browning HP (500+)
    XD45c (300)
    XDm45 (400)
    Sig P226 (600)
    Kel-Tec PF9 (200)

I had some FTE and stovepipes with a Sig P226 rimfire kit. It was a decent kit, but a little finicky with some bulk ammo. Ran like a champ with mini-mags.

If you make a good choice in gun, mags, ammo, and practice solid shooting habits, there's no reason a semi-auto's reliability can't be way above 99%. And from what I've seen there are a great deal of manufactures who would meet that criteria.