Factory Fired

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by danolator, Dec 24, 2012.

1. danolator

danolator New Member

Cleaned my new 10/22 Takedown last night in anticipation of my range visit after work today. Was surprised at how dirty it was. I know factory firing is required, but this was dirtier than expected. Do they fire repeatedly until sights are adjusted? I'm hoping that's the answer.

2. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

It's a possibility?? A while ago I purchased a Taurus pistol, and it was filthy. Brand new in the plastic still. Maybe a knowledgeable person will be along shortly.

3. therewolf

therewolf New Member

If you've ever worked at a factory or large business before,

you might have dealt with this firsthand.

Many folks don't even notice, as they clean their gun

after they shoot it.

Many units are never used, or used as displays, or sold,

shipped, and never unboxed. So the end user never notices abuse.

There's a certain amount of ambivalence at the factory or

wholesale level, and the first owner of a product, many times, is

not the first "user" of that product.

Carefully examine the unit with a magnifying glass, in bright

light. Perhaps a factory exchange for a mint unit, for which

you originally paid, is in order...

4. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

In other words, used then replaced with grease, boxed and sold as "new" merchandise. That's messed up.

5. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

What

Are

You

Talking

About?

What firearm factory did you work for?

6. danolator

danolator New Member

I would hope, with Ruger's sterling reputation, this would not be the case. My guess would be it needed a couple more rounds to zero the sights.

7. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Most makers test fire their products. I doubt that they will zero them for you, however.
    Remember, some places require that the firearm have an expended shell casing for it as part of some useless registration scheme. Since nearly all ammo these days is non-corrosive, I wouldn't worry about it. Also, where .22s are concerned, there are people who won't clean them until accuracy falls off (sometimes thousands of rounds.) Life is short, go to the range, dirty it up yourself and don't worry about it.

8. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

CZ fires a test group and include the target.

9. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

My old Walthers came with the test targets also.

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

its likely there was an issue that required multiple firings to fix. ruger does test fire all their guns before shipping. if a sight isnt put on right or something has a flaw it goes back tot he line gets fixed then test fired again.

22lr is also very very dirty even 1 or 2 shots can make a gun look super filthy.

11. danolator

danolator New Member

Took the 10/22 Takedown on her maiden voyage yesterday. Took about 50 rounds to zero and then 200 rounds @ 25 yards, open sights, dead on bliss. Now, she's dirty!!!

12. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

:p

That sounds like me, I got a single shot .22 when i was a kid (like 15 years ago) I've never run a brush down the barrel. About 1000-1500 rounds. I can still cut down saplings at 30 yards, accuracy good for now.

13. danolator

danolator New Member

Here's 3-25 round mags at 25 yards open sights. Only 2nd range trip for this gun. It's a keeper.

image-4286373854.jpg

14. gunsmoke11

gunsmoke11 New Member

Even my Walther pellet gun came with a test target, after all gotta know how it shoots when leaving the factory. But with a pellet gun no cleaning would've been necessary.
    [​IMG]

15. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

I sighted in a New CZ 527 today in .22 Hornet. What an incredible little rifle. I cleaned the rifle before going to the range. The CZ folks include a target to let you know that it was test fired for your safety. They also leave the bore fouled to prove your rifle was test fired. They could just print targets and ship clean barrels. I am only concerned when I see a new rifle with a clean barrel.:(

16. Hammy

Hammy New Member

I just received my 10 22 takedown Dec 28th. Waited 3 months for it from factory via local dealer. Cleaned all my guns Dec 29th and or kicks ran a pad thru 10/22. Came out pretty clean. Looking forward to some range time soon.

17. Hammy

Hammy New Member

Just received my 10/22 Dec 28th. Ran a pad thru it. Pretty clean. Looking forward to range time soon.

18. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

I am impressed with Ruger, and love the "made in the USA" aspect as well

The 10/22 I have performs so flawlessly that I bought a Ruger SR 40 semi auto pistol. Still impressed! There seems to be a common theme with Ruger - sound design, rugged construction and simplicity to use and maintain. I have my eyes on a SR9 for my wife and the Mini 14's and 30's have my attention.......