face paint vs. face mask

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by mosin762, Oct 18, 2013.

1. mosin762

mosin762 New Member

I am getting tired of using a facemask every year when I deer hunt. I wear glasses and they fog up when I breathe while wearing my facemask (nose-in or out, it doesn't matter). It even makes my diaphragm turkey calls sound weird. I want to use face paint but it's the chore from hell getting that crap off. Any of you guys know anything that would get the facepaint off? Will makeup remover work?
    Thanks!

2. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Hot water and soap!! I walked into a grocery store after an archery hunt a few years ago. This little kid started screaming and ran out the door w/ his mother chasing him. Forgot about my face after changing my clothes. It was pretty funny.

3. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Most whole corn is covered with corn dust. Deer can't see the color of your face. Deer see the shine created by the oils in your skin. If it is to hot for a mask just powder your face with some corn dust. You kill two birds with one stone, you cover some of your scent and you get rid of the shine on your face.

4. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

5. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

:FACEPALM:

Yeah he said cornstarch.

6. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

I never heard of corn dust. :confused:

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

ground is covered in dirt where i live... just use a bit water to dampen your cheeks and grab some dirt. comes off pretty easy. in ww2 they used lamp black, otherwise known as soot from a fire to remove face shine. intricate patterns dont serve much purpose

deer key off movement and scent. scent blockers make you smell like a human covered in scent blocker. shiney face makes small movements easier to see by deer.

you dont need fancy stuff. dirty up and stay down wind.

8. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

You have never been deer hunting if you have never opened a bag of corn. You have just been sitting in the woods.

9. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

of all the deer i ever took when hunting, we never did use corn or any type of feeder. we knew where the deer trails were and built our stands accordingly.

built them about 20-25 feet off the ground. deer as general rule don't look up, unless you are making a lot of noise.

never did face paint or masks from the height we were off the ground. and we just kept movement to a minimum.

10. nchunt101

nchunt101 New Member

11. 95sniper

95sniper New Member

I don't mean to hijack the thread but what do you guys use instead of scent blockers?

12. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter New Member

I've never even bought a bag of corn :eek:.........probably because baiting is illegal here,I'm not a farmer,don't have a garden so I have no use for 1 :D.
    The camo makeup I use comes off with soap and water ;).

13. nchunt101

nchunt101 New Member

Nothing,,,I hang my hunting clothes on a clothesline after I wash them (doubt it really does anything but makes me feel better) and hunt the wind.

14. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

It's not bait, it's spillage. If the grain is scattered down a tractor path or a path to a livestock pen, no one can call it baiting. There are no laws against hunting over crops left in the field or spilled while being transported.

You don't hunt right over the spillage. You hunt the trails going to the spillage. If you shoot a deer over the spillage the rest of the deer will go nocturnal when they feed on the spillage.

For dove hunting I have seen people plant sunflowers. A week or so before dove season opens they bushhog the sunflowers. The crop wouldn't grade out as acceptable or the market closed before the sunflowers matured. Both are acceptable farming practices and can not be called baiting.

15. JonM

JonM Moderator

In wisconsin the game wardens will confiscate your firearm maybe your vehicle if they catch you sitting or walking with a rifle bow handgun or shooting deer near "spillage" or with seed or feed in your pockets pack or vehicle to include empty packaging.

Nothing just stay down wind. Deer have superior sense of smell. To a deer if you use blockers you smell like a human using a scent blocker. Scent blockers are used to seperate hunters from their money. There is no way to get around the issue of scent other than staying where the buggers can't smell you.

16. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I've done a few things for scent cover that seem to work OK.
    Smoke the clothes over a campfire.
    Store them in a container full of leaves.
    The best bet is to stay down wind.

17. 95sniper

95sniper New Member

Some interesting ideas, and I agree that the deer have a great sense of smell and I have never used scent blocker.

18. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

I just don't wash my hunting clothes with soap and I let them dry outside in the open air.

19. GTX63

GTX63 New Member

Seemed like a good idea at the time, until they started trying to shoot me out of my stand....

[​IMG]

20. hairbear1

hairbear1 Member

Some of the more dedicated deer hunters here in Australia use Eucalyptus oil which is an extract from our native gum trees to hide their scent from the deer and some face paint or grow a beard or use a hat to cover their faces while stalking/laying in wait near any wallows or game trails.

Using a scent/spray that is a more natural smell to deer or game will certainly go a long way to covering up any man "smells".